M-D Discontinued?

glasscain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is the M-D discontinued?  I was just looking for a copy in Canada, and emailed "The Camera Store" in Calgary (as well as many other Canadian retailers), and the reply I got from the Camera Store follows:

Hi xxxxxx,

I just heard back from my Leica rep. They don't have any M-D's left in stock and the rumor is that they likely won't be able to order anymore in since they are unofficially discontinued.

Sorry for the bad news.

Best regards, 

--

Erin Thomson, Online Sales

I then asked if they knew anything about what would replace the M-D, and this was the reply:

Hi xxxxxx, 

Our Leica rep said that as of right now he does not think there is anything in the works for a replacement. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Best Regards

--

Angie Carson, Online Sales

I'm just curious why they would discontinue the newest version of the M240/262 based camera before the rest of the line up, and what this might mean in general!

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Cheers

In my reading it means that Leica sold the whole batch of this camera. it also means that their guess on the market needs was pretty close to the actual demand. I do not dare to draw any conclusion out of this. I think it is quite obvious that there will be no successor based on the M240 but with the ISO wheel of the M10 it is really difficult to guess what might be in Leicas mind regarding a successor based on the M10.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got mine, and love it

Count me as another big fan of the M-D. I appreciate it as a simple and enjoyable camera that helps me focus on visualizing and on taking pictures instead of worrying about settings.

I really hope they issue a future versions based on the M10. It would be fun to see the M-D concept implemented in the smaller form factor. It would truly be a digital M7.

• Like 2

I actually found one at another Canadian retailer already but I was just curious about the feedback I got from the camera store in Calgary to see if they were onto something or just making stuff up! :p

For Canadians, one really excellent source for Leica (and other non-Leica Leica stuff such as VC and Zeiss) is the Montreal Leica Boutique. I have had really excellent service from them in purchasing new and used equipment and with help getting some older equipment serviced. Check them out at http://www.camtecphoto.com/en or https://shop.camtecphoto.com/en/Leica They are not only selling the equipment but also do use it. Ask for  Jean Bardaji or  Daniel Wiener. They also publish an occasional Newsletter. 

Jean-Michel

Leica boutique is actually where I got my M-D ;).

I also got an M-E, M10 and MP from them! Awesome guys!

For Canadians, one really excellent source for Leica (and other non-Leica Leica stuff such as VC and Zeiss) is the Montreal Leica Boutique. I have had really excellent service from them in purchasing new and used equipment and with help getting some older equipment serviced. Check them out at http://www.camtecphoto.com/en or https://shop.camtecphoto.com/en/Leica They are not only selling the equipment but also do use it. Ask for Jean Bardaji or Daniel Wiener. They also publish an occasional Newsletter.

Jean-Michel

• Like 1

If I put a screen protector on an M240 and then put black gaffer tape over the protector, is there any functional difference between the result and an M-D?

And if I am of weak will, perhaps I should also trim my fingernails so that I cannot peel the tape off while I am taking photos.

• Like 2

I also have an M10 and an M-E. is there any reason to make fun of me for wanting an M-D? To each his own right. I think it’s unique and want to enjoy the experience. If you don’t think it’s worth it, don’t get one! Lol

If I put a screen protector on an M240 and then put black gaffer tape over the protector, is there any functional difference between the result and an M-D?

And if I am of weak will, perhaps I should also trim my fingernails so that I cannot peel the tape off while I am taking photos.

• Like 1

Well you won't be able to change ISO with your thumb with the camera to your eye regardless of whether you trim your nails....... nor enjoy the quieter shutter and better haptics (nor see your battery state and frame count in the viewfinder) and yes I have and use an M240P as well as the M-D

I would try to explain the different 'feeling' of the M-D but last time I tried that it proved too nuanced for some.....

• Like 1

Well you won't be able to change ISO with your thumb with the camera to your eye regardless of whether you trim your nails...

Yes, that is a functional difference: the M-D has more convenient setting of the ISO than the M240. In the spirit of film, though, wouldn't an M-D user choose the ISO at the beginning of the outing and keep it there? Oh, he could allow himself a change of ISO every 36 shots (which makes that frame count in the viewfinder more important).

My remarks are tongue in cheek, but please do not take them personally. If you enjoy an M-D, fine.

I'm day by day more convinced that the real luck for Leica is that people are crazy.

This is very true. But I prefer to be a bit crazy with my M9 and assorted lenses than to be "normal" and without them!  Sadly for Leica I also know that I can just ignore the screen of the M9 - not that difficult considering it's lack of quality.

I still want an MP though :-)

• Like 1

Yes, that is a functional difference: the M-D has more convenient setting of the ISO than the M240. In the spirit of film, though, wouldn't an M-D user choose the ISO at the beginning of the outing and keep it there? Oh, he could allow himself a change of ISO every 36 shots (which makes that frame count in the viewfinder more important).

My remarks are tongue in cheek, but please do not take them personally. If you enjoy an M-D, fine.

But the camera is not designed "in the spirit of film" but rather as Leica put it 'Das Wesentliche' which is a subtle yet important difference.......to me at least. YMMV

• Like 1