Leica CL - > Leica Q Pros and cons

For macro work the 60mm on the CL will focus at 6.3 inches, the same as the Q. So 35mm equivalent 90mm lens at 6.3 inches will give you a lot more macro ability than 28mm. Trade off is camera is smaller but lens is bigger for macro. To me fixed lens cameras just aren’t flexible enough.

I had the Q and the CL but have sold the Q. Bought the Q to have a second body but decided to get a second CL body as objective was to not have to switch lenses all the time. Didn’t notice any IQ difference between the Q and CL.

• 1 month later...

I too had the Q, but kept the CL. I primarily shoot film, so the CL is a perfect mate. I use the 50mm Lux 1.4 on the CL, but might decide on a Cron 50mm instead to make a bit lighter. Manual lenses are great for static subjects, but really appreciate the AF of the CL, especially when hand holding a strobe for portraits. As far as build quality, both are nice, but I preferred the CL. I think the Q is amazing, but not as versatile.

Edited by Jdphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought Q and will never sell it.

I also rented CL and GX8 at the same time (and GX85 before that), shot the two prior side-by-side with 11-23 and 8-18, and realized the same people are likely engineering both great lenses for both cameras, and ended up buying GX8 w/8-18 Leica, very happy now and waiting for GX9 in my mailbox (for the ibis). The evf on GX8 & GX9 allows for an extended rubber eyecup add-on which for my eyes is also a must.

If CL had a thin attachable grip (similar to JB but thinner) making it easier to carry around, and a rubber eyecup add-on upgrade, I would've bought CL.

Edited by Wenge
  • Like 1

I bought Q and will never sell it.

I also rented CL and GX8 at the same time (and GX85 before that), shot the two prior side-by-side with 11-23 and 8-18, and realized the same people are likely engineering both great lenses for both cameras, and ended up buying GX8 w/8-18 Leica, very happy now and waiting for GX9 in my mailbox (for the ibis). The evf on GX8 & GX9 allows for an extended rubber eyecup add-on which for my eyes is also a must.

If CL had a thin attachable grip (similar to JB but thinner) making it easier to carry around, and a rubber eyecup add-on upgrade, I would've bought CL.

Errr... It has an attachable grip... :rolleyes:

Errr... It has an attachable grip... :rolleyes:

Err.. the grip weighs 6 oz (which ruins the slim profile of the camera) and like I said on my post (that you removed to another place), my eyes require eyecup add-on like on GX8. You moved my post somewhere else where I made this point yesterday (with a photo I shot yesterday).

Did not see your previous post, but enjoyed that GD video!  Takes me back.

Rob

it still brings back wonderful memories being there in Eugene, this Grateful Dead show in Veneta best of all the Oregon shows I saw 82-95, I had my Pentax K1000 in the backpack and never took it out :

Edited by Wenge

Err.. the grip weighs 6 oz (which ruins the slim profile of the camera) and like I said on my post (that you removed to another place), my eyes require eyecup add-on like on GX8. You moved my post somewhere else where I made this point yesterday (with a photo I shot yesterday).

I have a GX8 and CL and shoot them side by side.  Quite happy wth them both, although I enjoy the image quality of the CL, the GX8 is good enough. The same with the crop on M lenses.

The IBIS/O.I.S of the Panasonic is important to me.

I find the holdability of the CL vastly improved with the grip, and together with the grip, it is still more sleek and smaller than the GX8, quite a feat for a camera with a larger sensor. My main gripe with the grip is the accessibility of the battery door. It feels rather light, I'll put it on the scales later.

Anyway, eyecup, yes, I see your point. The GX8 one is rather nice.

I think the IBIS of the GX9 is the same as the GX8.

The two changes are: the AF is the same as the G9 and the size is more like the GX7 (which I find too small, despite owning it YMMV).

I too had the Q, but kept the CL. I primarily shoot film, so the CL is a perfect mate. I use the 50mm Lux 1.4 on the CL, but might decide on a Cron 50mm instead to make a bit lighter. Manual lenses are great for static subjects, but really appreciate the AF of the CL, especially when hand holding a strobe for portraits. As far as build quality, both are nice, but I preferred the CL. I think the Q is amazing, but not as versatile.

Agree with all that, as I too am a mixed film and digital shooter. I will happily carry the CL with both zooms and an M7 & Motor-M. I would be worn out after 15 minutes with the SL + M7. I have not as yet printed to A2 from the CL as my Epson 3880 printer is down at my French house, where I will be in two weeks. It will be very interesting to see how well the images stack up compared with the SL/M240 at that size.

I and a friend ran a test last year on the 3880, where we printed the same image three times to A2. One with the Epson RIP engine that came with the printer, one using PS CS 2017's built in RIP engine and lastly with the Print-Fab RIP software on my friend's laptop. We could see some colour/tone differences but no quality difference at all. Now therefore I just use PS CS all the time, which makes life much easier. 

Wilson

88 grams = 3.1 oz  I think you got your weight conversion wrong.