New M10 and 50mm Summicron Tightness

nlk10010

....A few situations caused difficulty with the RF (e.g. horizontal vs. vertical lines)....

If I understand what you are saying, you can turn the camera 90deg to focus on something horizontal and then recompose. But this may not be what you are describing.There is always a workaround for most situations.

Well, even AF (e.g. Sony) has this problem, it won't detect and focus on horizontal lines, just vertical (Gary Friedman has an excellent YouTube video with a demonstration). The RF simply works on lining up vertical lines by sliding horizontally (I'm sure you know this, just writing "out loud"). So in certain situations (e.g. a commuter train) where most of the lines are horizontal I had some difficulty. I either had to find a vertical line to use or, yes, turn the camera 90 degrees. One of the problems with that is that my hand tended to cover part of the RF.

I think my point was not that it's impossible to focus in these situations, or that focus will not be acceptable; rather, that I need to become familiar with identifying focusing targets and using the RF in both orientations. Now certainly there WILL be scenes in which RF focusing will be difficult if not impossible, but that happens with all cameras, even those that auto-focus. That's to be expected. Plus, I can also try using LV (although, to be honest, I find I have more difficulty focusing that way than with the RF, I need glasses for near objects and I don't wear them with the RF). But look, I only have the camera a day, I'm sure I'll get better.

Of course if I've misunderstood YOU then please let me know, thanks for the offer of assistance.

What do people here think about giving the bayonet the very slightest smear of vaseline. & I mean, "slight".

It works, will cause no damage (if it really is "the slightest"...) and is recommended.

My M3 was very tight, the M10 almost as tight, but not quite. I applied some "slightest" smear of vaseline on the M3 bayonet, now the M3 and the M10 are equally tight though both causing no problems.

What do people here think about giving the bayonet the very slightest smear of vaseline. & I mean, "slight".

I think the lenses are supplied with a light grease on the mount, but I have never been able to detect it.

Edited by pedaes