James Ravilious - Pictures from Devon's rural past

Krauklis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Books with photographs by James Ravilious have been out of stock for quite some time and can only be bought second hand at rather high prices.

In November 2017 a new volume with photographs by J. Ravilious was published:

James Ravilious – The Recent Past.

This link to THE GUARDIAN might give those, who do not yet know this photographer, a first impression:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2017/nov/09/scenes-from-devon-rural-past-james-ravilious-beaford-in-pictures

krauklis

TO ME, the best B&W photograph ever taken was by James Ravilious   The picture of sheep being driven down a snowy Devon lane.

After that any picture by this great photographer is an absolute joy to look at - a SUPERB photographer and I am glad that he is getting the exposure and popularity that albeit posthumously he richly deserves.

Thanks for posting.

That shot is in the new book. Shame the sheep are off to meet thier demise according to the caption.

The book is well worthwhile and the Forward by Robin Ravilious interesting. Although he followed his passion and was clearly supported by Robin, the price was a extremely frugal existence. Hope this book and the accompanying biography by Robin does well for her..

• Like 1

I went to the opening of an exhibition of his at a gallery in London about 10 years ago. Robin was there and was a very good host, talking about her life with him and his work.

There is also a semi-permanent exhibition of his prints down in Devon somewhere.

His books should be a must-have on any photographer's shelf.

Whenever I feel in need of inspiration photographically-speaking:-

PS - not sure what this has to do with 'Leica News' though!  Better placed in the Bar?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Banyak Films are offering the superb DVD about James Ravilious for £10 (reduced from £15 - at which it was a bargain!). If you like James's photographs you really do need to see this film with intro from Alan Bennett, Robin talking about James, and some wonderful music! 

http://shop.banyak.co.uk/product/james-ravilious-dvd/

Banyak Films are offering the superb DVD about James Ravilious for £10 (reduced from £15 - at which it was a bargain!). If you like James's photographs you really do need to see this film with intro from Alan Bennett, Robin talking about James, and some wonderful music! 

http://shop.banyak.co.uk/product/james-ravilious-dvd/

Indeed - I have that as well   :)

PS - over the years there have been a number of threads on James Ravilious in the Bar.

Edited by Keith (M)