Anyone using Luminar (in place of LR etc) ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using Adobe since LR3 (and PS4). Nowadays I am on the LR Classic subscription plan but as I no longer delve into the depths of LR and PS capabilities as I once did, I'm considering switching to a 'buy-once' package. Of those I have looked at, the Luminar 2018 software (£64) looks as though it could meet my simpler needs. Hence the question - has anyone tried it & if so, with what results?

Edited by Keith (M)

I'm still using Lightroom 6.12 (perpetual license) and it's still working fine for me. But, I see the future in where Adobe wants to go, so I've acquired Luminar 2018 and will study how to use it so that when LR 6.12 stops working I'll move to it. My preliminary experiments with it impressed me with regards to its capabilities and workflow, but I don't know it well enough yet to see where the rough spots are. 

The biggest loss when it comes to the potential of losing LR as my image processing basis is the loss of the image management capabilities and the loss of the  templates for printing purposes. I don't see anything else out there that does these two things as well for my purposes. 

• Like 1

I had the perpetual license (standalone) version, but recently switched to LR Classic. For 120 bucks a year, it will serve well unless Adobe pulls support, forces cloud storage or significantly jacks the price. I haven’t found a replacement that provides similar editing and image management functionality, and I have too much time and learning invested to jump to an unproven alternative....for now. But Adobe keeps urging me on.

Jeff

• Like 1

I think LR is the gold standard for an all around photo-management system on Mac.  That said, I have Luminar for curiosity and occasional experimentation.  When MacPhun first introduced this app, it could not handle files from the Monochrom camera.  It took them about a year to fix this issue.  When they introduced Luminar 2018 late last year, the issue had returned; the app couldn't handle Monochrom files.  As of this week, though, a new version fixes the prob, so this time it only took them two months.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm definitely moving off LR once I get the time to do it.  Luminar is on my investigation list so interested to see what people think here.

Another on my list is a re-vamped offering from DxO http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/photo-software/dxo-photolab/features which appears to have basic photo library facilities and import from LR catalogs.

I just don't have time to learn a new system at the moment so will need to wait until I get a break from work.  I haven't used any new features in LR for years.  Just need develop, sharpen, crop & straighten and WB.  Don't think I need to make the Adobe shareholders rich for that.

Edited by rob_w
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I never got the hang of LR and had for years use PS. I refuse to go with the monthly cost and my version of PS is getting elderly like me. I bought Luminar and am starting to work with it. There are several videos on its use. I am also using their Aurora product. I am retired so there should be no excuses about enough time....!

• 1 year later...

Luminar 3 has now been released, to very positive reviews.  Might be time to re-activate this thread and see what the reactions have been among Leica users.  My search for an LR replacement has been frustrating.  Several alternatives are close, but no cigar.  Is Luminar 3 the first alternative to reach parity??

Edited by rob_w

• jaapv locked this topic