TL / CL lens roadmap

• 2 months later...

Similar conversation over on the T forum. 23mm summilux, 50mm, 75mm, 90mm summicron range would go down a treat. 

Nice to have a 24-90mm 2.8 (constant) equivalent too.

And a 100-400 ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The likelihood of seeing the expansion of TL lenses soon seems to be increasing. The June 14 announcement is now a month away and the only new camera that's been registered seems to be another D Lux camera coming out later in the year (perhaps simultaneously with the Panasonic Lx200). 

Release a 23mm true 'lux 1.4 and I'm all yours TL2...

very simple, in addition:

(all FF equivalent)

1. 24mm f2.8 *

2. 24mm f1.4 **

3. 35mm f1.4 **

4. 50mm f2 *

5. 90mm f1.4 **

6. 24-70mm f2.8 *

7. 70-200mm f2.8 **

8. 100-300 f4 *

9. 100-400 f4/f5.6 ***

10. 14-35mm f4 ***

11. 90mm f2 ***

* Priority 1

** Priority 2

*** Priority 3

Edited by colonel

The likelihood of seeing the expansion of TL lenses soon seems to be increasing. The June 14 announcement is now a month away and the only new camera that's been registered seems to be another D Lux camera coming out later in the year (perhaps simultaneously with the Panasonic Lx200). 

Release a 23mm true 'lux 1.4 and I'm all yours TL2...

New C-Lux is coming...

• 2 weeks later...

A 35 Summicron would be nice. That Summilux is just too big.

Yes, yes!  I thought I read somewhere on the infamous "interweb" that Leica was considering a smaller, maybe slightly slower 35mm TL.  It seems to have disappeared.  I have the 23mm TL and the 35 TL.  Both are exceptional lenses.  However, the 35 TL is simply too big for me to easily choose as a "walk around" lens.  Anyone heard anything about the possibility, as unlikely as it may actually be?  Thanks in advance.

. . . David

• 7 months later...

For me the main lack is a longer stabilised tele zoom. 70-200 (105 to 300 EFOV) would seem about right. I would accept that OIS would mean some extra bulk but unless a CL2 is due out in the reasonably near future with IBIS, OIS is really an essential for an inevitably somewhat slow aperture tele zoom. I don't see any need to butt the focal lengths up to each or even overlap, as Leica seem to be doing at present. Also other companies seem to be able to make wider zoom ranges with little or certainly acceptable image degradation, as travel lenses. There is little point in having a wide range of possible lenses, if you don't have them all with you, because you simply cannot carry all of them. Something like a 16 to 160mm OIS would be a great travel lens, like Sony make in full frame (24-240). It really does make for a one lens package. The only other lens I would like to see would be a wider prime of around 12mm, preferably with the same form factor as my 18 TL. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

The  best small camera zooms that I have had experience with are the Olympus 12-100/4.0 (with IS) and the Fuji 100-400/4.5 to 5.6 (also with IS).  Practicing on the moon with the Fuji last night I was easily getting exposures of 1/3 sec that were steady and in focus (but the moon set over the next hill before the eclipse started).  And with the Olympus OM-D EM1.2 and the 12-100, I have taken pictures at the wide end down to 1 sec hand held.  The CL's 55-135 is a really nice lens, but it would be great to have something that went to twice as long, stabilized, and scaled to the CL rather than the size of the SL 90-280.  There are potential Asian partners with whom this could be done.

• Like 3

On the short end, I don't consider the 35/1.4 CL too big for casual street use, and it makes wonderful images.  With a 35/SL Summicron coming out any year now, Leica has plenty to offer at 35mm or 50-eff focal lengths, so I wouldn't expect yet another.  What I miss is a 16/1.4 (24 mm eff) with the quality of the 35/1.4.  Fuji has a nice one, but I have to use it with the X-T2 , and that makes life more complicated that I would like.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ynp said:

Maybe we will see a Sigma lens this year to fill this gap. 

I have a suspicion that Sigma will concentrate on the FF sector rather than APS-C. I hope I am wrong. 

Wilson

The first three lenses on the top look like the APS lenses in L-Mount. If Leica make a firmware to correct the distortion and f the 16mm, than I will be happy to get the Sigma. 

The picture was taken from another forum.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ynp