TL / CL lens roadmap

The current lens portfolio is fairly complete, and I suspect that Leica is a little bit surprised with the success of the CL.  So we may have to wait a bit for complementary lenses to appear, like a full bore 23 or 18 Summilux, or lightweight, fast 35 and 50 Summicrons.  A super f/2.8 wide angle, say 12mm, would be lovely.  (Getting 18 and 35's that are like the 23 is the offering that I would bet on, simply because they could be partner-produced and would sell like hotcakes.)

But Leica has to get five SL lenses into the marketplace in 2018.  

• Like 3

The current lens portfolio is fairly complete, and I suspect that Leica is a little bit surprised with the success of the CL.  So we may have to wait a bit for complementary lenses to appear, like a full bore 23 or 18 Summilux, or lightweight, fast 35 and 50 Summicrons.  A super f/2.8 wide angle, say 12mm, would be lovely.  (Getting 18 and 35's that are like the 23 is the offering that I would bet on, simply because they could be partner-produced and would sell like hotcakes.)

But Leica has to get five SL lenses into the marketplace in 2018.  

The current lens line-up covers the basics and it is a good and promising start.  I wouldn't call it complete though.  

IMHO the APS-C world has huge potential for Leica (much more so than full frame I believe) but they need to be willing to go for it and they are not going to realize that potential at a pace of one lens per year...

• Like 1

Last year it was rumored that Leica would announce new TL-lenses:

https://leicarumors.com/2017/08/05/leica-rumored-to-announce-another-camera-with-tl-mount-and-evf.aspx/

Eventually there was only one new lens, the 18mm, but who knows, there might be others in the pipeline...  Let's hope so.

In any case, the CL does have some momentum now, new lenses would sell very well IMHO.  

I would by a 18mm, 23mm or 50mm summilux in a heart beat. Same for a 100-400mm f/5.6.

+1 for a 23mm and 18mm Summilux.  And for a 100-400mm f/5.6. And for zooms with OIS.  And for a small 14mm or 12mm wide angle.  And for a smaller 35mm.  Leica hardly can go wrong to be very honest.  

Amen, especially as there is one in the MFT stable. With O.I.S.

Telephotos tend to have a larger image circle than wide angle lenses.. so I wonder if the MFT 100-400mm Panasonic/Leica would actually cover the aps-c format or if the lens would have to be scaled up... I certainly don’t want to end up with something the size and the weight of the SL 90-280mm...

Alain

Considerably lighter and shorter than the SL lens with more range though:

SL 90-280 

Filter Thread  Front: 82 mm

Dimensions (DxL)  Approx. 3.46 x 9.37" (88 x 238 mm)

Weight  4.08 lb (1.85 kg)

Fuji 100-400

Filter Thread  Front: 77 mm

Dimensions (DxL)  Approx. 3.73 x 8.29" (94.8 x 210.5 mm)

Weight  3.03 lb (1.375 kg)

I'm sure Leica could do better than Fuji in this respect when comparing to the Leica-Panasonic  lens.

DG Vario-Elmar 100-400 :

Filter Thread  Front: 72 mm

Dimensions (DxL)  Approx. 3.27 x 6.75" (83 x 171.5 mm)

Weight  2.17 lb (985 g)

Let's have a "Vario-Elmar TL 4.0-6.3 100-400 O.I.S." ;)

Fantasize:

filter thread 77 mm

length 195 mm

diameter 87 mm

weight 1200 grams

• Like 2