Considering alternative for M

You'll want the ability to go wide or, on the other hand to step back and compress. You'll also want shallow DOF.

Shallow DOF = one fast prime. The 35 (i.e. 50) if you want an easier time getting subject isolation. The 23 if you would rather have to change position to get subject isolation than have to change position to get everything in the frame. If you want both options, get both. A lot of people never go wider than 35 or more tele than 50, certainly those 2 lenses make a respectable kit in and of themselves.

However, assuming you only pick up one, the only question is whether you want the convenience of a zoom to go wide or obtain compression, or if you want the superior optical performance and/or size advantage of prime lenses that cover those focal lengths (say, the 18 and the 60).

Edited by Lonescapes
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your help and advise. It is really a tough decision but since the kids are not interested in the M gear I think it is time to sell my M system and buy something which my eyes can handle. I waited long if they wanted the M but they have made there own choice which is great!

For the moment I think the CL is not the right decision as selling my M gear to get a CL with 18, 35 and 60mm lens doesn’t feel good…if you know what I mean.

To be honest I fell in love with the G9 and Pana-Leica lenses (8-16, 12-60, 25 and 42,5) of one of my sons. IMO it brings best of both worlds and for a reasonable price.

Decisions, decisions….

I own Leica M and Cl and als some m43 gear (and some other stuff).

CL vs G9:

-CL is considerably smaller, more expensive, no is; The lenses are very good and I find the IQ not far from the M; it also has a simple and intuitve user interface

-G9 (I only know EM1): even faster AF, very fast pace, very flexible lenses, better price-value-ratio; However I believe the m43-sensor IQ is not as smooth as dx-sensors

If you want the fastest speed, all kind of options and functions, many buttons, many lens options: m43

if you want a simple, classic , compact camera with very fine lenses, the CL is a lot of fun to use

If you have the chance, I would recommend to handle both in a store. Let you heart and stomach decide

• Like 2

Which lenses for the CL would really depend on your particular photographic style and preferences.  

If I were looking at a single lens, it would be the 18-56 just because it coves all the most common focal lengths for most people.  Only problem?  I'm generally not a fan of zooms since I tend to get lazy with them, and when I get lazy my pictures are generally garbage.  Also, it's pretty slow so you won't get great control over depth of field.  Still, it's the best one lens solution.

If you can't stand the thought of a zoom, then the best one lens solution is probably the 23mm.  Extremely compact, can be used effectively for environmental portraits, and is fast enough to get you a little better low light performance and more control over depth of field.  Plus, since the CL has plenty of pixels to play with, it's not even all that painful to crop it a bit.  Even on a 5K monitor you've got some room to play with.  

If I were looking at a two lens solution, I'd probably go with the 11-23mm and the 35mm.  The one exception-to-the-rule for me with regard to zooms is wide angle zooms.  In terms of managing composition, being able to tweak the focal length by a millimeter or two is often really useful, and the fact that you are giving up a bit of speed is usually not very relevant for wide angle subjects--at least most of my wide angle subjects.  Plus, the 11-23 is really an exceptional performer with regard to image quality.  Then there's the 35mm.  It's a beast of a lens (by APS-C standards) for a normal prime, but wow are the images nice.  When I test it head-to-head against the 18-56 at shared focal lengths there isn't all that much to see at the pixel level, but there is just something about the overall image with this lens.  I think it may be related to how it preserves colors of very fine details.  Not the details themselves, mind you, but how it doesn't lose saturation.  At any rate, I love the lens.  Only real downside to this kit is you don't get a true portrait focal length, though the 35mm does a pretty nice job and, again, a bit of cropping won't hurt especially for a portrait shot which is rarely depending on ultra-high resolution to make a solid image.  

If I were to add a third lens, I don't know where I'd go next.  Would I want the ultra-compactness of the 18mm?  It's actually capable of some pretty nice results.  Or would I want the 18-56 for when I was just "walking around?"  Or maybe the 60mm to open up the macro world and provide a more traditional portrait focal length?  I know I wouldn't choose the telephoto, but that's more about me and what I photograph than it is about the lens. 

Frankly, all the CL lenses are excellent performers, so I wouldn't have any qualms there.  Personally, I'd start with the 11-23 and 35mm.  They are two of the real gems in this lineup and it shows in the images.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I bought the Leica CL 18-56 mm lens kit. I also tried the 11-23mm and 35mm and 60mm. Might be next purchases, but first have to discover the CL and what is possible with the 18-56mm

BTW I was happily surprised with the weight of the 35mm. It was less heavy as I expected and razor sharp.

Also found out the my old Billingham for Leica will fit the CL with 3 lenses. The ONA’s Bowery looked good but is more expensive and Billingham is better water proof. Both top sides on Bowery are open.

BTW I was happily surprised with the weight of the 35mm. It was less heavy as I expected and razor sharp.

The 35mm weighs 428g, or precisely 93g more than the Summilux-M 50mm... Nothing to loose sleep over...