Considering alternative for M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

It has been quite a while I did my last posting here but due to an eye disease I have trouble focusing on my current M8 which is taking dust.

Yet I miss photographing so I am considering purchase of a new camera.

My M System consists of a M8 with 

Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH

Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH

Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH

APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH

Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 ASPH (set) 

Some options:

I sell the M8 and buy the CL and I could use my current M lenses. But than I have manual focus only.

I sell the M8 plus lenses and buy the CL with Leica lenses like the 18-56mm and 35mm.

I sell the M8 and buy a Panasonic G9 with Panasonic Leica lenses like 12-60mm, 15mm and 42,5mm. Additionally I could use the M lenses (with adapter) although this is not very usual.

I sell the M8 plus lenses and buy a Panasonic G9 with Panasonic Leica lenses like 12-60mm, 15mm an 42,5mm. 

Much considerations but I would be glad to get your advice. Again, it is painful to see the M taking dust but my eyes are too bad to use it so any AF system would be helpful here.

How is the CL with M lenses and does it make any sense ? Of course it does as I have them, but in my situation AF would make more sense ...

​Thanks again :)

Edited by mhoutman

Yes, Michiel,  it does make sense, but it obviously doesn't do AF with M lenses, nothing does, except for a third-party adapter that is of limited use on a Sony IIRC.

I am an M shooter since 1976 and my M240 has been sold. My M9 is gathering dust for the time being.. My most used lenses are the 18-56 TL, Summicron 35 asph and Summilux M 24.

BTW, the GX8 with the Panaleica lenses and M adapter is a good choice as well. I have used it happily as a travel camera.

• Like 1

Does your eye condition make punch-in and/or focus peaking usable? If so, you might enjoy the CL with your M lenses. You'll keep the charm of the compact system and the very high quality glass, and the enjoyability of manual focusing. And you won't have to deal with so much buying and selling.

If punch-in and focus peaking aren't going to work, then you either get the L-mount lenses and settle for decent autofocus, or you get the G9/Panny-Leica lenses and benefit from autofocus that is about as good as it gets on M43.

If you're going to be heavily-dependent on autofocus speed, go the Panny route, I suppose. But if you can afford to lose a little autofocus performance, avoid Panny. Their corporate social responsibility is utterly non-existent, and they contribute to a very environmentally destructive supply chain.

With your current eye condition, I wouldn't bother with adapting M lenses. I'd sell everything and start from scratch with a new AF system.

The CL works great 1) if you don't shoot action or wildlife, and 2) if you shoot mostly outdoors during the day. The strength of system is the IQ and size of the zooms but they are slow. The system lacks image stabilization and fast zooms that many folks desire.

How about Fuji? You could replace your current lenses with very similar primes ie

XF14/2.8, XF23/2, XF35/1.4, XF50/2, XF60/2.8 macro.

MFT is a great system especially for the longer zooms. Make sure you are OK with the 4:3 ratio. I couldn't get used to it.

Liquidate and move to AF

If you are keen to stay with Leica the CL with the 18-56 zoom will do 95% of what you could with the previous system ..... and you will have change to spare.

Otherwise I personally would opt for Fuji and a selection of their own lenses. 

Edited by thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1 for Fuji as the AF alternative that will keep you feeling at home. The hybrid viewfinder on X-Pro1/X-Pro2 has to be used to be believed (it just works). And they definitely make the most affordable autofocus fast primes that are also compact and provide top-shelf IQ.

Fuji is a major polluter, too (only Sony is careful about this, among Japanese manufacturers), but they're pretty good about not making all their money off war profiteering. Pentax is better, but hey, they're Pentax.

I think you will like the CL. The SL is also worth a look, with an even better EVF, but obviously a bigger, heavier body and much more expensive. If the cash flow works, buy the CL with the 18-56 and keep your favourite M lens too and at least see how you go with the EVF. Focus peaking may work for you and the M lenses render beautifully on the CL. And, if it's too hard or annoying, the M lens can then be sold to fund more AF purchases for the CL. It's an awesome package.

• Like 2

Looks like you like high speed primes. The TL 35 1.4 has IQ comparable to M glass and gives you 50mm equivalent on the CL. The 60 2.8 is almost as good and can replace your 90mm. Drawback of the 18-56 is speed but great all round daylight lens. I have a health issue that meant I couldn’t use MF, tried the focus peaking and magnification with M glass on the CL and couldn’t make it work but every situation is different. Good luck, I think you will love the CL. I had Fuji and when the CL came out switched back to Leica. Nothing beats the Leica lenses.

• Like 1

Liquidate and move to AF

If you are keen to stay with Leica the CL with the 18-56 zoom will do 95% of what you could with the previous system ..... and you will have change to spare.

Otherwise I personally would opt for Fuji and a selection of their own lenses. 

I have the CL and a Fuji X-Pro 2 outfit and agree 100% with the above comment. Don

Maybe step by step route is better.

Step1: Liquidate enough to get CL+18 (approx equivalent of your 21mm on M8 from FOV perspective). This will be cheapest to play with AF and you can see if experience of remaining M lenses on CL suits your eye condition. If yes then keep M lenses, else sell remaining M lenses and buy other CL AF lenses.

Step2: Start enjoying photography again.

:)

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your help and advise. It is really a tough decision but since the kids are not interested in the M gear I think it is time to sell my M system and buy something which my eyes can handle. I waited long if they wanted the M but they have made there own choice which is great!

For the moment I think the CL is not the right decision as selling my M gear to get a CL with 18, 35 and 60mm lens doesn’t feel good…if you know what I mean.

To be honest I fell in love with the G9 and Pana-Leica lenses (8-16, 12-60, 25 and 42,5) of one of my sons. IMO it brings best of both worlds and for a reasonable price.

Decisions, decisions….

• Like 1

I have the Fuji lenses mentioned as an option (used on an X-T2) and I had to return one T2 to get a second with a good imaging chip, didn't feel the lenses were as good as Leica's, so I haven't used them much.  I still like the X-Pro2 with its small 35 lens, and the X-T2 with Fuji's big 100-400.  And I am having a great time with the CL.

• Like 1

If you are having chronic issues with your eyes that are going to prevent focusing with a rangefinder, they will likely hamper the use of 'M' lenses with a mirrorless camera as well.  I think I'd sell the M8 and all your M glass.  

As to what you should get instead?  I think it would depend a lot on what you want to photograph and in what environment.  DSLR's are still the king when it comes to autofocus with unpredictable targets, so Nikon and Canon should be in the running if that's the type of subject you shoot.  Some of the full frame mirrorless cameras are getting pretty close in performance, though, like the newest bodies from Sony.  Or perhaps you'd rather have something as small as your M8 and even lighter?  I'd like at one of the 4/3" systems from the likes of Olympus or Panasonic.  Image quality is actually very good--both because there are high quality lenses available and because the sensors themselves have improved over the past few years.  And for certain types of pictures having in-body image stabilization (typically more compact than in-lens image stabilization) can be a godsend.  It doesn't fix everything, though.  

Or perhaps you'd like to stick with Leica and don't mind the size of digital SLR's?  If so, the SL is for you.  Image quality is as good as it gets for a 24 megapixel camera.  It's also weather proof.  By the middle of next year the lens selection should be pretty decent--zooms covering form 16mm to 280mm with primes from 35mm to 90mm.  It's an amazing camera, but has some limitations (like all Leica's) in terms of flash support, autofocus, and professional support.

The point is, once you sell the M8 and its associated glass there are lots of options out there.  Figure out what you want to photograph.  That will narrow your choices significantly since no one camera is good at everything.  Keep in mind that what you have been photographing may not be what you want to photograph since the use of a Leica rangefinder will naturally have pushed you towards certain types of photography and away from some other types.  Worth re-evaluating if you are starting from scratch.

Once you have determined what type of photography and the cameras that are best suited to what you want to shoot, I would recommend going to a good dealer and trying out the various options.  The biggest differences are in the workflow, the haptics, and in the overall ergonomics not in the quality or the images or in a list of features.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help and advise. It is really a tough decision but since the kids are not interested in the M gear I think it is time to sell my M system and buy something which my eyes can handle. I waited long if they wanted the M but they have made there own choice which is great!

For the moment I think the CL is not the right decision as selling my M gear to get a CL with 18, 35 and 60mm lens doesn’t feel good…if you know what I mean.

To be honest I fell in love with the G9 and Pana-Leica lenses (8-16, 12-60, 25 and 42,5) of one of my sons. IMO it brings best of both worlds and for a reasonable price.

Decisions, decisions….

The G9 is an amazing camera and Panasonic has the best combination of features (IBIS + Video) and usability (lenses with aperture dial + friendly user interface) out of any manufacturer, in my opinion. Olympus is similarly capable but their UI is super complicated. 

I must ask you though..... have you handled any other mirrorless camera? If you are not in a hurry I would try to get your hands on the latest Sony and Fujifilm offerings as well.

• Like 1

Wow, I slept another night and decided to sell all M gear. I have no secret telling the my eyes won’t get better but that the situation is stabilized for the last couple of years so that is the good news.

As I suffer AVMD my eyes need both brightness and the sharpest viewfinder. That is why the LUMIX G9 would be so ‘brilliant’. Panasonic  have great Leica lenses too. 

Alternatively a CL with the 18-56mm would be an option. Not so fast and not with the G9’s bells and whistles but probably a great choice as general purpose camera. Also the size is considerable small so it’s easy to carry. That makes sense too. Oh, and it is a Leica with the looks and feel of an M :)

Additionally if the CL grows on me I could buy additional lenses for portraits or landscapes. 

Did I miss something but why is there no 50mm available ? The 60mm seems the only option here.

Edited by mhoutman

Did I miss something but why is there no 50mm available ? The 60mm seems the only option here.

The 35/1.4 Summilux-TL is effectively a 50mm for the CL as it has a FOV of 53.2mm in APS-C terms.

Similarly the 60mm Macro has a FOV of 91.2mm.

The 35/1.4 Summilux-TL is effectively a 50mm for the CL as it has a FOV of 53.2mm in APS-C terms.

Similarly the 60mm Macro has a FOV of 91.2mm.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I mean there is no TL 50mm lens which would make a FOV of 75mm (my preference for portraits)

Edited by mhoutman