iMac Pro or ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

that's a good SSD [evo PRO]...make sure it has the red color on the logo NOT the orange/or grey ..that's the easiest way to check if its EVO or EVO PRO [red]

Hers the spec of my new machine. I’m in KL for the next few weeks so won’t see it or play with it until I get back to Phuket de92465a3cb9b6194a0664fbf4acd514.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by frame-it

I’ve written before about replacing the innards of my 2009 Mac Pro. Performance has hummed along ever since. Apple took away this capability with newer machines.... and significantly bumped prices, thumbing their noses at desktop users. I’ll keep working with older machines until no longer feasible. And then consider a PC.

Jeff

Thanks to the positions I have held I have been a PC and Mac user since each were introduced. It has been an interesting trip! Yes, all through the very first PC and Mac by Jobs, then the irrational models made during Apples Pepsi idiot's rein. I got the very best of every model. Thankfully the market has rationalized models over the past several years - to a point, and that point is what we need to consider.

Who has been a home computer user for a long time would have imagined a time when we had enough to accommodated what we needed? For still photography users we have reached the performance we need.

Video mavens are different and need every tech improvement and more and more. Been there and glad it is behind me.

So, the discussions here about acquiring the latest and greatest Apple computer have little  application to processing our digital stills. How much difference do we find in the latest Pro from the previous? Where for us is the cost effective difference? I will wager - not enough.

,,, to close, in a previous job I would routinely run Photoshop actions in the background on as many as 3,600 images in batch before noon as I did the everyday other work - and that was in year 2000.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

,,, to close, in a previous job I would routinely run Photoshop actions in the background on as many as 3,600 images in batch before noon as I did the everyday other work - and that was in year 2000.

I am always amazed at the amount of time 99.9% of computer users waste by not using their machines to anything like their full potential. Writing a few lines of script or even building an Automator script, which requires no programming skills, can easily save hours. I would say that over 90% of MacOS users have no idea that Automator or AppleScript even exist, let alone all the other possibilities. As you say, computing power is plentiful, what's missing is thinking power.

• Like 1

I am always amazed at the amount of time 99.9% of computer users waste by not using their machines to anything like their full potential. Writing a few lines of script or even building an Automator script, which requires no programming skills, can easily save hours. I would say that over 90% of MacOS users have no idea that Automator or AppleScript even exist, let alone all the other possibilities. As you say, computing power is plentiful, what's missing is thinking power.

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but I just can't see how its possible to batch process images that were taken at different times of the day, week maybe and expect to get pleasing results.......If I am barking up the wrong tree then please just tell me to shut up and we can move on but, I have have just processed about 10 pictures out of 80 and each and everyone was processed differently 

Neil

you can use the automation tools to do various tasks..its not only about the "processing images" bit

Okay well I didn't know that, thanks for the feedback, I will go and read up on it

Thanks

Neil

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but I just can't see how its possible to batch process images that were taken at different times of the day, week maybe and expect to get pleasing results.......If I am barking up the wrong tree then please just tell me to shut up and we can move on but, I have have just processed about 10 pictures out of 80 and each and everyone was processed differently 

Neil

Neil,

My comment was in general and wasn't specifically targeted at you. Don't go looking for things you don't need, you are right of course, not all tasks can be automated.

But also, don't be "afraid" of automation, it can be as complex or as simple as you like. There are tools to help you. On MacOS you can use Automator, which is free and included on every Apple computer sold, and Hazel, which is paid software but extremely useful.

An example for automation that could be of use is if you have a website on which you publish your photos. You could go through your manual post processing ritual and then save the file to a "hot" folder. A hot folder is a standard folder to which you "attach" a script (in MacOS these are called Folder Actions). This script could be set up to automatically make a thumbnail version of the photo, optimise the files (check out ImageOptim, it's free. I use a combination of JPEGMini and ImageOptim in a script) and then upload the files to your server. Just one example of making your computer do the tedious work while you do something more enjoyable. After all, computers are supposed to work for us, not the other way round ! :-)

Edit: adding links...

Hazel https://www.noodlesoft.com/

ImageOptim https://imageoptim.com/mac

JPEGMini http://www.jpegmini.com/

Edited by ianman

a 5K iMac is more than enough for stills even from the Leica S models...

I currently work with a maxed out 15" Retina MacBook Pro which I when at home hook up to a 4K USB-C monitor. 1 cable and I can continue working.

a 5K iMac is more than enough for stills even from the Leica S models...

I currently work with a maxed out 15" Retina MacBook Pro which I when at home hook up to a 4K USB-C monitor. 1 cable and I can continue working.

I agree JIP that that machine works fine with my S007 files. I am now using a H6D100c camera and my MBP doesn't like it...........thats why I am switching to a windows based machine in Thailand rather than using my MBP

I have successfully upgraded my 2012 Mac Pro in Malaysia with a new super fast 2TB SSD and now working on the fff files is a dream.......well maybe not a dream but certainly a lot better than how it worked before

Neil

I work on the latest 5k iMac. 64gb ram, RX 580 8gb video card. It rips. I work on 20 Gb photoshop files all day and never have to wait for anything. These machines are a great deal.

Also, I know people are going to moan and groan but you can get a great deal on a Mac Pro now that the iMac Pro is out.

Check out these refurbished machines directly from apple. I have bought many refurbs from them with zero problems. I bet they are more reliable than the regular "new" product as the refurbs go through extensive testing.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

I have a 6-core Mac Pro at home and it is also stellar. I use it with my Eizo and it sits on my desk never making a sound.... and it is tiny.

If you are used to macs, stick to mac. I also use windows 10 on my mac in bootcamp for games and some apps. While it is much nicer than win8...it still leaves a lot to be desired.

I work on the latest 5k iMac. 64gb ram, RX 580 8gb video card. It rips. I work on 20 Gb photoshop files all day and never have to wait for anything. These machines are a great deal.

Also, I know people are going to moan and groan but you can get a great deal on a Mac Pro now that the iMac Pro is out.

Check out these refurbished machines directly from apple. I have bought many refurbs from them with zero problems. I bet they are more reliable than the regular "new" product as the refurbs go through extensive testing.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

I have a 6-core Mac Pro at home and it is also stellar. I use it with my Eizo and it sits on my desk never making a sound.... and it is tiny.

If you are used to macs, stick to mac. I also use windows 10 on my mac in bootcamp for games and some apps. While it is much nicer than win8...it still leaves a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately Apple Malaysia and Thailand don't do refurbished Mac's and Apple US won't ship to Asia

Neil

Well, that's no fun. But I think in general....since the current Mac Pro is at the end of its life cycle...there will be good deals on them worldwide. And it is still an extremely capable computer despite what the internet says about it being a "complete failure" etc.

Neil, maybe you could also ship the machine to a USA buddy and then have them ship it to you...

Also, to the OP. You could also try running a powerful video card (Nvidia GTX 1080) in an external Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. Such as the Aktiko Node. They call this an external GPU or EGPU setup. So you connect you monitor to the egpu and then the egpu connects to your macbook. Lightroom and photoshop can definitely take advantage of a GTX 1080 (or 1080ti, Titan XP etc). And you would be in the "fastest mac in the world" territory. This is a very under rated setup.

Unfortunately Apple Malaysia and Thailand don't do refurbished Mac's and Apple US won't ship to Asia

Neil

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My old 2006 Mac Pro was/is still chugging along, but, despite new hard drives, was slow and unable to run new peripherals or new programs.  But I had these two great Cinema Displays that I loved working on.  What to do? Buy a new iMac for 3K and dump the screens?  I like 2 screens. Sure, I could use adapters on one of my monitors ( dual link, to mini-display, to thunder bolt)... but that seemed dubious and I couldn't find anyone who has having real success with it.  Maybe make the big switch to the new iMac Pro for 5K and the price of a new monitor?  Honestly - that's a bit hard to justify;  I'm a semi-retired writer, not a working film editor.

So... after much hand wringing, I decided to take the easy way out:  bought a mid-2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.46 Xeon, with a 1 T SSD, 32 G ram - plugged in my monitors, and my 1TB drives from the other machine, and am now in business.  Screamingly fast (at least to me) and running High Sierra. $1,870 and I'll bet I get  more than 5 years out of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I keep my photographs on very large HDD run as raids and connected to the Mac by Thunderbolt. The computer is a 2015 iMac with 1TB SSD, which I just keep free except for applications - ie mostly empty. Works great - no issues about speed.

Edited by antigallican

• 10 months later...
On 3/21/2018 at 11:48 PM, friedeye said:

My old 2006 Mac Pro was/is still chugging along, but, despite new hard drives, was slow and unable to run new peripherals or new programs.  But I had these two great Cinema Displays that I loved working on.  What to do? Buy a new iMac for 3K and dump the screens?  I like 2 screens. Sure, I could use adapters on one of my monitors ( dual link, to mini-display, to thunder bolt)... but that seemed dubious and I couldn't find anyone who has having real success with it.  Maybe make the big switch to the new iMac Pro for 5K and the price of a new monitor?  Honestly - that's a bit hard to justify;  I'm a semi-retired writer, not a working film editor.

So... after much hand wringing, I decided to take the easy way out:  bought a mid-2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.46 Xeon, with a 1 T SSD, 32 G ram - plugged in my monitors, and my 1TB drives from the other machine, and am now in business.  Screamingly fast (at least to me) and running High Sierra. $1,870 and I'll bet I get  more than 5 years out of it.

BTW, make sure that you have your OS and data

I run the same machine and it is a very good choice. If you exchange the graphic card for an ATI Radeon HD 5870  (5770)  it runs Mojave without problems. It will also speed up Photoshop as it will be able to use  the new card.

BTW, make sure that your OS, Time Capsule and  Data are on three different SSDs. And have an external disk for backup - or the Cloud.

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

I run the same machine and it is a very good choice. If you exchange the graphic card for an ATI Radeon HD 5870  (5770)  it runs Mojave without problems. It will also speed up Photoshop as it will be able to use  the new card.

BTW, make sure that your OS, Time Capsule and  Data are on three different SSDs. And have an external disk for backup - or the Cloud.

I changed my Graphic card to the RX580..........works great now with the new Mojave OX system