iMac Pro or ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cyber world as of 2005.

Jeff

Thats what I thought when I read it 2005.

I’m still waiting for the exact spec of my new windows based computer to arrive but I’ve been told it will be far superior than the iMac Pro and at a third of the price.

Having a PC will also allow me to have storage banks internally for savings photo files same as what I have on my 2912 Mac Pro in malaysia

Edited by Guest

When I say my MBP struggles it struggles as far as if for example I want to add a Nik filter (CEP for example) it can take a full minute to open CEP and another 2 minutes to add the filter.........its frustrating.

Then there is something seriously wrong with your MacBook... maybe just do a good check up and clean out things that are taking up the resources before spending money on a new computer. A good place to start is to have a look at the Activity Monitor. Also, is your MBP always slow? Even when it's charging ?

Then there is something seriously wrong with your MacBook... maybe just do a good check up and clean out things that are taking up the resources before spending money on a new computer. A good place to start is to have a look at the Activity Monitor. Also, is your MBP always slow? Even when it's charging ?

Ian

5 x 53.4x40 images is about 2GB. It struggles. It has 16GB of meoory and a 256GBSSD drive.

I have clean my Mac running on my computer and according to that it’s in good shape. I’m not sure if the bottle neck is in the MBP or in the software but again it’s sloooooooow

Neil

is it nice and cool ? i recently discovered that overheating macbook pros automatically slow down the cpu..

clean my mac app runs all the time and can also slow down the system

the silly kernel task bug also eats up loads of CPU...and that workaround is quite tricky.. [invovles looking for certain system files and moving them etc etc ]

is it nice and cool ? i recently discovered that overheating macbook pros automatically slow down the cpu..

clean my mac app runs all the time and can also slow down the system

the silly kernel task bug also eats up loads of CPU...and that workaround is quite tricky.. [invovles looking for certain system files and moving them etc etc ]

im not even using the screen of the MBP as it’s plugged into an external monitor. To be honest I haven’t checked if it’s hot.......... it certainly doesn’t smell hot.

Neil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed. PS uses the SSD as a scratch disk and struggles when it is too full. Clean my Mac should warn you, though. I fitted a 1TB SSD and have no such problems. However when doing intensive operations on a huge file like Topaz on a panorama or rendering a huge stack of smart layers, you will need to get a cup of coffee, as you’ll run out of processing power.

Lightroom Monster - This blog entry by Ray Larose might help...

Snip:-

Last month, my old 2012 iMac needed to be put down. It had a good life, but it was time to refresh the home studio as it was really showing its age while editing. I briefly looked at the new iMac Pro as a logical replacement, but couldn't justify the obnoxious $5,000 price tag. I really only use the computer for Lightroom and the podcast - so I wanted to build an equally powerful machine on a budget (kids in college).

He too was a long-time Apple man but in the end:-

All in, this ended up costing $1827.95 for the computer, monitor, keyboard, and webcam (and of course, free 2-day shipping). It would have been another $600 if I built it on my own - so in this case, the pre-built was some slight customization was clearly the way to go.  And for $3171.05 less than the iMac Pro, I am one happy camper with one cranking Lightroom box.

My (old, late 2007) Macbook was running slower and slower and some programs could no longer be updated due to the operating system which couldn't be updated due to Apple not allowing it on my machine.

I found out that I could change my operating system to Windows 10 or Linux which would in effect bring it fully back up to date. By this point I'd already bough a new Windows based laptop.

My Macbook is now going to be a 'digital jukebox' as a standalone machine to rip my CD collection and play through the hifi via iTunes (last version that it would accept). I just bought an Airport thingy and I must admit I'm quite surprised at the sound quality - I can't tell it apart from playing the CD directly.

This got me thinking of increasing the RAM and maybe even a larger hard drive (or otherwise an external drive to store the CD's & back ups yes).

My Windows based laptop (to use primarily for internet access) cost a small fraction of the price of a comparable Mac, and it has the ability to take USB, memory cards and even CD/DVD's without any need for extra drives or 'dongles'.

I have a Mac Mini that I bought as my photo processing computer but lately I was using the laptop instead. The Macbook screen on mine (without any profiles) gives remarkably accurate colours.

I do think Apple are losing their way - a new Macbook really doesn't appeal to me, even if the cost wasn't an issue. I'd much rather have one of the older models before they did away with the internal CD drive and USB sockets.

• Like 1

Guest jvansmit

My 15' 2013 MacBook Pro was running very slowly a while back so I cleaned out the 512Gb SSD, and it's fine now. Lightroom loads quickly, processing via Nik is fine, and files export quickly too.

My MBP has other issues though, a dead SD slot, crackling speakers, and a whitish bloom on one corner of the screen, so I looked at replacing it with an Apple certified refurbished 15" MBP with a 1Tb SSD. They're still around $2,600 (https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro) so I've decided to live with it for another year or two. The crackling speakers & the screen issue don't matter when I'm using the cinema display (so I've put the money towards a new 28mm Lux instead!).

How much free space do you have on the SSD ?

Ian

I just upgraded my Mac Pro in KL to a SSD to a. My working drive now has 1.5TB free space..........its now fun rather than a chore  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Its defiantly more snappy, and working on the S007 & H6D100c files is now a lot more enjoyable

For anyone interested some of my H6D stuff can be seen HERE

Edited by Guest

My (old, late 2007) Macbook was running slower and slower and some programs could no longer be updated due to the operating system which couldn't be updated due to Apple not allowing it on my machine.

I found out that I could change my operating system to Windows 10 or Linux which would in effect bring it fully back up to date. By this point I'd already bough a new Windows based laptop.

My Macbook is now going to be a 'digital jukebox' as a standalone machine to rip my CD collection and play through the hifi via iTunes (last version that it would accept). I just bought an Airport thingy and I must admit I'm quite surprised at the sound quality - I can't tell it apart from playing the CD directly.

This got me thinking of increasing the RAM and maybe even a larger hard drive (or otherwise an external drive to store the CD's & back ups yes).

My Windows based laptop (to use primarily for internet access) cost a small fraction of the price of a comparable Mac, and it has the ability to take USB, memory cards and even CD/DVD's without any need for extra drives or 'dongles'.

I have a Mac Mini that I bought as my photo processing computer but lately I was using the laptop instead. The Macbook screen on mine (without any profiles) gives remarkably accurate colours.

I do think Apple are losing their way - a new Macbook really doesn't appeal to me, even if the cost wasn't an issue. I'd much rather have one of the older models before they did away with the internal CD drive and USB sockets.

Indeed, I bought a 2013 refurb for this reason and upgraded it with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM, works just fine.

Surely you've seen the TV advert lately, some snotty little brat playing on its ipad thingy when an adult asks the brat, "Hey, what are you doing on your computer" and brat answers in a whiney voice "What's a computer?".

If ever there was a kid deserving of a slap.......

That’s the Facebook / Twatter generation . The kid is part of the OMG generation who main concern is how many “likes” he gets on social media.

Indeed, I bought a 2013 refurb for this reason and upgraded it with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM, works just fine.

Jaap the upgrade to the Mac Pro has really made a huge improvement in the performance of my machine, it was certainly cheaper than buying a new computer thats for sure

Neil

Ian

I just upgraded my Mac Pro in KL to a SSD to a. My working drive now has 1.5TB free space..........its now fun rather than a chore  

Its defiantly more snappy, and working on the S007 & H6D100c files is now a lot more enjoyable

That sounds good. I remember the joy of upgrading my Mac Plus from 1MB of RAM to the max. of 4MB !! For about the same cost as your 2TB SSD :-)

But at least I could run "MultiFinder" :-)

Jaap the upgrade to the Mac Pro has really made a huge improvement in the performance of my machine, it was certainly cheaper than buying a new computer thats for sure

Neil

Yes, my 2010 MacPro runs beautifully, with 4.5 TB in SSDs  and 32 GB RAM :)

Neil

In the context of your spend on camera equipment, computers are cheap, so don't scrimp the pennies on the computer that you will use to process the files. Those Hasselblad ones are huge and will need something with a bit of oomph.

Hi Andy

Im really happy with this current set up with my Mac Pro here in KL.

In Thailand I’ve been using my MacBook Pro hooked up to a Ezio monitor but it’s been really really struggling so I ordered a fully loaded windows based PC at half the cost of a Mac and will report back how that is when I go back to Thailand in March.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk