iMac Pro or ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m currently using a MacBook Pro to process my Medium Format files here in Thailand and to be honest it struggles with the large files especially if I stitch which I like to do.

I’ve been looking at the new iMac Pro but at over $8k its a large investment.

Has anyone on here made that investment and if so was it worth it to you?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does your macbook pro have an SSD ? and do you use an external SSD for all the raw files ? does  your mac have 16gb of Ram ?

if yes to the above wait for the new lightroom update before spending 8k on a mac pro

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6947305878/adobe-is-preparing-a-major-lightroom-classic-performance-update-and-we-got-to-try-it

https://photographylife.com/nvme-vs-ssd-vs-hdd-performance

Edited by frame-it

does your macbook pro have an SSD ? and do you use an external SSD for all the raw files ? does your mac have 16gb of Ram ?

if yes to the above wait for the new lightroom update before spending 8k on a mac pro

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6947305878/adobe-is-preparing-a-major-lightroom-classic-performance-update-and-we-got-to-try-it

https://photographylife.com/nvme-vs-ssd-vs-hdd-performance

Hi

Yes my MBP has a SSD drive and 16GB of RAM but I don’t use Lightroom. My editing software of choice is Phocus and PScc for both of my S007 DNG files and my fff files

Thanks

Neil

I just had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine who has run a small apple franchise in Phuket for over 15 years. He recommended getting a PC built just for photoshop and use MBP for everything else.

I will check and see what is reeomended by the gooks

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is a MacBook (Pro), or iMac not a personal computer then ?

Iam

The MacBook Pro is a apple and the PC is a window. They are different systems that operate the same way but differently if you know what I mean.

Neil

Is a MacBook (Pro), or iMac not a personal computer then ?

Surely you've seen the TV advert lately, some snotty little brat playing on its ipad thingy when an adult asks the brat, "Hey, what are you doing on your computer" and brat answers in a whiney voice "What's a computer?".

If ever there was a kid deserving of a slap.......

• Like 1

sigh... ok, "pc" means personal computer. It has nothing to do with which OS or the computer is running. I would suggest keeping well away from that link, it just reinforces the ignorance people have in this matter.

to late I’ve already seen the link and I’m scared for life.

I’m currently using a MacBook Pro to process my Medium Format files here in Thailand and to be honest it struggles with the large files especially if I stitch which I like to do.

Consider how much money you are saving by waiting for processing to complete. If the new computer were twice as fast but cost 50% more or was an entirely new investment, it is silly to upgrade. When I had an enormous amount of files to grade, I did it in 'batch' with Photoshop, went out for diner and a movie. Typically I could process 3,600 images in three hours.

Early in my career I worked for an ignorant bean counter who complained that his 'overnight' accounting report took two days to complete. That was in the days when an enterprise computer cost half a million. He asked if we had the next step up to a 1 MIPS machine would solve the problem. After all, it was twice as fast. So much for the bean counter. I quit before he was fired.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Consider how much money you are saving by waiting for processing to complete. If the new computer were twice as fast but cost 50% more or was an entirely new investment, it is silly to upgrade. When I had an enormous amount of files to grade, I did it in 'batch' with Photoshop, went out for diner and a movie. Typically I could process 3,600 images in three hours.

Early in my career I worked for an ignorant bean counter who complained that his 'overnight' accounting report took two days to complete. That was in the days when an enterprise computer cost half a million. He asked if we had the next step up to a 1 MIPS machine would solve the problem. After all, it was twice as fast. So much for the bean counter. I quit before he was fired.

Sir

When I say my MBP struggles it struggles as far as if for example I want to add a Nik filter (CEP for example) it can take a full minute to open CEP and another 2 minutes to add the filter.........its frustrating. I have everything apple at home, phone tablet laptop desktop but the new iMac pro is 8 to 9k, I can get a faster windows based machine for ~3k. I can plug that puppy into my Ezio monitor and only use that for Phocus Photoshop and Bridge.............if I want to surf the net, or send email I can do that on my MBP.................

I am not a IT geek so I really don't know the ins and outs of what makes these things tick, all I know is that I don't like what I have right now so looking for what options are out there

Thanks