Sign in to follow this  
scorchero

What Camera is this?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I recently acquired a large format camera.

It has the name plate of "Leitz Wetzlar" , but other than that no markings. Its in remarkable shape.

I'm guessing it's pre Leica, but can find no reference anywhere for it.

Any thoughts or information??

Judging by the column mounting tubes I would guess that its either a copy camera or macro camera of some description. It vaguely rings a bell as a copy system. Is the lens engraved with a name?

The photo on the right shows the Leitz Wetzlar "condensor" trademark, so it should not be earlier than 1915.

Does the knob, well visible on the front, actuates some kind of shift of the lens'plate ? If so, would be strange for a copying device... even if the mount for a metal column makes  to think indeed to a copy equipment (year... 1920 around ?)

And... can you provide a picture of the back ? I wonder if it is made to accomodate film plates.... or if it looks like to be attached also to some other device... (a lighting head for projecting ? a sort of enlarger... ?)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I heard back from Leica . This is their reply

this is a „plate“ or large-format camera used in Micro- and Macrophotography over 100 years ago. The production-date might be around the turn of the century 1900 – 1905. The format most of the plates have been 13x18cm. It was long before Oskar Barnack invented the LEICA camera, I suppose that was the reason why. The body of the camera was produced by Ernst Leitz GmbH, the lens(es) came from different optical institutes, here an US company as shown on your picture. These cameras have been used in the science laboratories, only.

If you can get it working, it'll remove the leicaflex from bring the holder of the diesel Leica title.

See if dag can get it going if you want to get it into shape.

The bay link above is my listing. Just testing the waters to see what kind of interest is out there

Write ebay to correct the title... "E. Lietz Wetzlar" doesn't look fine to any potential buyer...

Edited by luigi bertolotti