Nocti and the 75mm lux Image look compare

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I am not using a Luigi strap (though I am using a Luigi half-case, with built-in grip--which is teriffic). I am using an UpStrap--which is more than teriffic. It really works; it does not slip off your shoulder.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a Luigi "Leicatime" strap (actually two: a 1m brown one for the M6 and a 90cm black one for the M8), and I have specifically left out the shoulder strap and everything else, including adjustability, to keep it as simple as possible. I also like the strap to be able to slip on my shoulder, so I can carry the camera over my shoulder under my jacket and slip it out quickly without it sticking too much.

For those interested in the comparative sizes of these lenses, here are some shots. Note that both the 75 Lux (mine) and the Noctilux (borrowed) are not the current built-in-hood versions, but are optically identical. That's a Dual-Range Summicron in the middle, and an M6 modeling in the background. The 50 Cron is about the same size as the current version, perhaps a little smaller. The M6 is a little smaller than an M8 in height and thickness, but the same width.

What great lenses - and even a filter on the Nocti :) :)

enjoy

Holger

Is there anyone on the Forum NOT using a Luigi strap or straps?

Wilson

That would be me. And while the Luigi strap look beautiful personally I do find the Leica strap works pretty good, and its a little wider in the neck-area.

Are there any advantage of the Luigistrap besides cosmetics?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That would be me. And while the Luigi strap look beautiful personally I do find the Leica strap works pretty good, and its a little wider in the neck-area.

Are there any advantage of the Luigistrap besides cosmetics?

Thomas,

It is not just esthetics although the Luigi straps do look really nice. Luigi's wide shoulder pad is much more comfortable on a bare neck and more secure on your shoulder. The sides of the camera are better protected and it holds the camera better. Finally I will not have to worry about the parts of the Leica M8 strap coming undone or breaking, as has happened to a couple of forum members. I have a wide black/burgundy double adjuster strap on my chrome M8 and a narrower single adjuster, cognac colour one on my IIF.

Wilson

I see.

However the strap on the image looks narrower than the Leica strap.

I like the way the rubber of the Leicastrap sits pretty reliable on my shoulder.

Anyways-this is off the original question of the thread.

I am also in the process of evalutating lenses for portrait and people and its not easy.

For me 50mm is more interesting than 75. Dont know why but my 75lux does not get much use. 50 seems to also fit my distance when I shoot people/portrait etc. - I dont like to be to far away.

I am torn between the Noctilux, 50/1.4asph and , if speed isnt needed, the 50/2.8.

However I also would like to check out a Summarit, Sonnar C 50/1.5 and a Summilux pre-asph.

I think that I will keep at least 3:

50/1.4asph - for the great detail, color, contrast, and all that even at f1.4

50 Noctilux and/OR 50lux pre-asph OR Sonnar 50/1.5 (or Summitar?): for the character, as a less clinical look

50/2.8 because it seems to really work good at short distances, and I like the way it draws (tonality, bokeh), and I like the way it handles (size, weight, focus)

Nice portrait, Tom. I think maybe the unsharp mask is a little strong. Around the eyes it looks like the edges are too hard.

Playing with the 75 Lux and Noctilux today, I think I am going to have to eat my words about wild bokeh, at least for now. I have seen many more shots online with the Noctilux with wild bokeh, like Guy's portrait in the forest, than with the 75 Lux. However, when I was trying to provoke it today, the 75 Lux would usually have it first. Ultimately the two lenses have a *very* similar look, even down to the occasionally harsh bokeh.

I will have to go back to my initial judgement and say that the main differences between the two lenses relate to depth of field and magnification, and handling. If you need more magnification, the 75 Lux gets you about twice as close, and at the close limit, it has a narrower depth of field than the Noctilux. However, in all other situations, the Noctilux is an equal player, and by simply repositioning yourself, you can get very similar images with both lenses. When there is a distinct foreground-background split going on, you will get more separation between the two with the Noctilux, simply because you have to move closer to get the same magnification of the foreground, which increases the ratio of the difference. The Noctilux bokeh is really, very creamy, more so than the 75 Lux in many situations. I am still waiting for the day that I see the truly wild Noctilux bokeh that I have seen in others' shots, and I expect the 75 Lux to beat it at that point, but I am sufficiently happy that this is such a rare occurrence as to be much less important than I initially thought.

I have taken a series of portraits of colleagues and friends with the Noctilux, but have not yet had the opportunity to do comparative shots with the 75 Lux. I will probably get my girlfriend or Jana to help me with that, but that will have to wait until the weekend. The portraits I have taken are all great-looking, with the typical 80 Lux look that I miss so much. I have attached two portraits of myself, first from the 75 Lux and then a representative but different Noctilux shot. Holger took the first one outside, yesterday, and a colleague took the second one today. You can't get much closer for portraits than in the Noctilux shot, and this is a real strength of the 75 Lux. Note how much sharper my crow's feet are with the 75 Lux shot. That is a big difference in the looks of the two. I cannot imagine wanting to use a 75 Cron for such portraits!

Ultimately, I prefer the handling of the 75 Lux. The narrowness of it at the base helps to grab the camera, and it is slightly lighter, and more pleasurable to use. On my version of the 75 Lux, both the ribbed part of the focusing ring, and the aperture ring, are much wider than on the Noctilux, and this really helps the handling. The Noctilux is so short and stubby, hard to grab when carrying the camera, and I find the aperture and focusing rings hard to find when I am looking through the viewfinder. I will clearly get used to it, but handling-wise, my 75 Lux wins, hands-down. Here are some shots showing what I mean about the handling. M6 with 50 DR Cron, Noctilux and 75 Lux. Note on the 75 Lux how slim it is at the base. It is very comfortable to grab it around there while walking around. Also note that the ribbed part of the aperture ring on the 75 Lux is only the middle third, whereas the same part on the Noctilux is the whole ring!

As a funny aside, after walking around for quite a while, using only the 75 Lux and Noctilux, and finding the focusing so much faster on the 75 Lux, putting on the 90 Macro to take the last three shots was a real shocker. Focusing was just zip-zip-zip compared to either of the pigs I was using the last few hours!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

Ah Ha! see Carsten why i started this thread , i was finding the Nocti to perform let's say pretty normal in a lot of area's . Yes i did get the wild bokeh once in awhile but it is very similar to the 75 lux in many ways butit looks more like the 80 lux wide open , i did find that F1 was good but try F2 a lot of Nocti glowness goes away that maybe to much sometimes. The Nocti has some issues with light sources in the frame wide open. i will see if i can find them so you can see but the reason after the Germany trip i put up a yellow flag was the nocti was better than i thought orginally. Now i would love to see it against the 50 lux also becuase somewhere in here i have to figure out what to keep and what to sell. i thought of going for the 75 cron and sell the 75 lux and use the 50 Nocti for it but maybe sell the 50 lux and keep the Nocti and still switch the 75 around. not sure . I have a 90 cron in the mix which is very similar to the 75 cron so i may overlap there . Hate these yellow flags that come up on lenses.

I don't think I will be selling anything, to be honest. There are situations where they all excel, and I would hate to regret a sale. The only way I would sell would be if I could be sure to find a copy at the same price in the same condition later, but this is not the case with the discontinued 75 Lux, nor with the rapidly rising prices of the Noctilux. I will be getting the Noctilux with my 30% off, and I will keep both.

I wish I had my 50 Lux Asph here to test it too, and I wish my 50 Dual-Range Summicron could work on my M8. Ah well.

But the Noctilux is a keeper, exactly for that 80 Lux look, and then there is the curveball: the Noctilux on film! I have the M6 and will try it.

Here are two comparisons where you can see how similar the two lenses render, and how the 75 Lux may have slightly wilder bokeh sometimes. It may just be a case of similar bokeh at a higher magnification ratio in the background. Because I tried to keep the foreground similarly proportioned, the background is closer with the 75 Lux, due to the longer focal length. The Noctilux is first for both shots, as can be seen by the larger background features in the 75 Lux shots.

On second examination, I think the cause of the rougher bokeh with the 75 Lux is just that it in these scenarios has a greater depth of field, so the blurry parts are tighter. It isn't actually worse, and I might be able to even the look out by stopping the Noctilux down. So here is a situation where the Noctilux comes out ahead, due to its greater flexibility.

Here are two more comparisons, Noctilux first, then 75 Lux in each case. In the first one, again the Noctilux looks a little smoother, but the 75 Lux is simply more zoomed in on the background. In the second one, you can again see the softer character of the Noctilux, and how sharp the 75 Lux really is wide open. It is a little hard to see at this size, but you really see the "skin" imperfections in the 75 Lux shot, but not in the Noctilux shot. In the last one, there is some pretty weird, but not so wild, bokeh from the Noctilux. I don't have a 75 Lux shot of this one.

Now you've gone and put me right off the Noctilux:( , what horrible bokeh from both lenses, yuck!. Is this effect limited to situations of bright highlights with either these lenses?. Why did my Canon 85L never show effects like this but rather a wash of colour?.

Anyway I'll still try it out as I'll have to answer my own questions. I managed to procure a Summarex 85 f:1.5 so it will be interesting to see what this old heavy dog can produce.

Keep up the good work, both seem very close, difference in perspective for sure.

.....but you really see the "skin" imperfections in the 75 Lux shot, but not in the Noctilux shot.....

Never mind, back in love again, any chance of a crop of both on the "skin test" Carsten?.

Pleeeeese!.:)

Most of the time, the bokeh is really good from both. In the shots above (apart from the mannequin) I have been trying to provoke bad bokeh. Here are some testshots where the bokeh is more what you would expect from the Noctilux. No 75 Lux versions.

Btw, I look forward to the shots from the Summarex!

And I am surprised that no one PMed me about the 75 Lux! That is a good price for a lens in great shape, with one small flaw, and these lenses are getting harder to find.