Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Olof

The really interesting thing is, that i hardly have seen at this forum a picture, taken with the Noctis biggest Apperture. So the question is why should i use a Nocti ? I think all the picture s here in the forum taken with a Nocti also could have been taken with a Lux.

Interesting. Guy, are you thinking what I am thinking, in that the Noctilux on the M8 is an 80 Lux, and the 75 Lux on the M8 is just sharper, smoother, and a bit more predictable than the 80 Lux? I think I will end up with the Noctilux too. I should be able to find the 35 Lux Asph for a good price, second-hand. There are a lot of them around, and this will allow me to find a good copy, with correct focusing at all apertures.

Carsten--

I don't know if Guy is thinking it--but after shooting GBs worth of stuff at f1.0 on a borrowed Nocti at WPPI--I'm certainly thinking it, and have ordered the Nocti with my 30% letter.

Now, I have the 75 Lux and the 50 Lux; but I also like the look of the nocti and the extra speed is crucial when I need it.

Oh--and on the M8 it focuses easily, IMO, at f1,0. I expected it to be a monster to focus, and it just wasn't at all.

The 75 Lux is sharper and more predictable, but I love it too.

Also, I think on the M8 this way...

50 Nocti = 80 R Lux in look and crop (not magnification, obviously, and also killer sharp stopped down, but smoother between 1.4 and 4).

75 Lux = 100 APO Elmarit, but faster and better for portraits. No macro though :)

The long throw problem of the Noctilux is nicely solved by using the Leicagoodies.com "Steer," which grips the lens focusing ring like a belt and provides about ten nubbins that allow rather easy, rapid focusing. Cheap too. I wouldn't use my Nocti without it.

.... like one of the donuts you know those Krispy kreamy. take your pick via aperture open cream stopped down crisp and contrasty

Bill - Wow! My painkillers never kicked in that well. Best wishes to you.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chris

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The long throw problem of the Noctilux is nicely solved by using the Leicagoodies.com "Steer," which grips the lens focusing ring like a belt and provides about ten nubbins that allow rather easy, rapid focusing. Cheap too. I wouldn't use my Nocti without it.

Agree whole heartedly ! Works well

Jamie, I have never owned a 100 Apo-Macro, but I would expect that the 75 Cron or 90 Cron Asph would be closer to that look, no?

My (ex) 80 Lux was probably my favorite lens of all time. The 75 Lux, while coming close, doesn't quite reach it. I might find what I want in the Noctilux. Don't get me wrong, I love the 75 Lux, and whole-heartedly recommend it, but in softness wide open and that glow, it doesn't quite reach the 80 Lux. The 80 also had that occasionally wild bokeh that I see in some Noctilux shots, but don't really get with the 75 Lux. Interesting.

I would love to compare, across portraiture and also other categories, the 80 Lux, 75 Lux, Noctilux, 50 Lux Asph, and the latest 50 Lux pre-asph. I don't own the former any more, don't have access to the latter, my 50 Lux Asph is in Solms, and my 75 Lux will be lent out at the same time I borrow a Noctilux, so I can't really pull it off. Once I order and receive my Noctilux, I could compare the middle three though.

This is an example of the creamy look of the 75 lux which I think makes it so special for portraits.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest guy_mancuso

Back from a short trip with my wife and kids. Interesting stuff folks . really like some of the images posted.

The biker was shot in Heidelberg, he was coming right at me . I was standing next to David and had my 75 lux on and i just followed him for a second to catch up on focusing than nailed it. Lucky maybe but the 75 lux and Nocti really are not bad as some make it out to be from a focusing standpoint. yes they have longer throw but sometimes that actual helps. i will catch up to this thread in a little bit but looking forward to getting the Nocti and it is extremely interesting to hear folks thoughts on it compared to the Lux and than the 75 lux

Jamie, I have never owned a 100 Apo-Macro, but I would expect that the 75 Cron or 90 Cron Asph would be closer to that look, no?

Carsten--I'm sure you're right, but I don't own the 90 or 75 Cron. The 75 Lux is exactly as you say though--close, but no 80R... however, stopped down even to f2.0, the 75 Lux I have is as sharp as I'd want for a portrait lens (and in that sense is a little better than the 100 APO R, which is if anything a wee bit too sharp for most subjects!)

My (ex) 80 Lux was probably my favorite lens of all time. The 75 Lux, while coming close, doesn't quite reach it. I might find what I want in the Noctilux. Don't get me wrong, I love the 75 Lux, and whole-heartedly recommend it, but in softness wide open and that glow, it doesn't quite reach the 80 Lux. The 80 also had that occasionally wild bokeh that I see in some Noctilux shots, but don't really get with the 75 Lux. Interesting.

The 80R lux is still my favourite lens for people. I completely agree with you, and it bests all the others in that prime range as far as unique effects go turning into perfect sharpness and contrast for portraits. I'm actually thinking of getting a spare now that they're so reasonably inexpensive!

Closed up, the 75 and 80 Lux are very, very close (I just shot about 200 portrait shots with each on the weekend), but wide open-ish the 80 Lux has all the charm and none of the deficiencies of the 75 signature (and we're talking minutiae here folks--if I had to live with the 75 lux for the rest of my life as a portrait lens that would be just fine ;))

The Nocti is different again, much more in character like the 80 lux in my limited use. It doesn't quite have the compression factor though. Still, once I actually get it, I'll post some 80R / 50 Nocti / 50 Lux comparisons, if folks want to see them...if you had the 50 lux pre-ASPH (which I don't), that would round it out ;)

Guest guy_mancuso

Jamie and Carsten tending to agree about the Nocti being like the 80 lux. The 75mm lux is not like the 80 lux it certainly is sharper wide open, i love the 75 lux though and not sure i could give it up so easily. I really think just adding the Nocti is the way to go for me without selling something for it, they all have there look that can be used

I think the 75 cron has a very similar finger print as the 50 lux ASPH. ... I like the 90AA a lot for people shots.

5!m0n,

I really like the 50 Lux Asph for portraits, and the 90AA would probably also be great for young people with perfect skin and older men, but for adult women and perhaps also older women, these lenses are just very harsh, bringing out detail in skin that we are not culturally conditioned to accept as beautiful. The Noctilux/75 Lux/80 Lux lenses are all quite sharp in the overall spectrum of lenses, but just give that slight softness/glow wide open, which gives back the beauty to real-world people who are not quite perfect.

I now have both the 75 Lux and Noctilux in my bag (the Noctilux on loan, courtesy of amazing generousity), so I will try to compare them in a reasonable way in the next week or so, via technical shots, portraits and just normal shooting, to see how they compare.

Off the top of my head, here are some differences:

- The 75 Lux has quite a long focusing throw, but the Noctilux is even longer. Where the 75 Lux turns about 135 degrees from close to far, the Noctilux turns close to 180 degrees.

- The Noctilux, if you count the lower focal length, has a 1 1/2 stop advantage over the 75 Lux in dark situations (you need the extra 1/2 stop shutterspeed for steady shots with the longer focal length). That is a considerable advantage in dark places, if you can move around to compensate for its lower magnification.

- The 75 Lux gets closer, and thanks to its longer focal length, has a considerable advantage in magnification, and at this closest distance, probably even has less depth of field. The Noctilux only goes to 1m.

- The Noctilux is a little fatter, shorter and heavier, but they have a similar feel on the camera.

I will try to explore the above two aspects, as well as others.

Here are two shots which demonstrate both strengths and weaknesses in one go. The shots were taken with available light at ISO 320 at dusk, at the close limit, wide open, ie. 1m @ f/1 for the Noct, 85cm @ f/1.4 for the 75 Lux. This means shutter speeds of 1/15s and 1/8s, which is okay for the Noctilux for careful handholding without expectations of perfectly sharp results, but not for the 75 Lux. However, the 75 Lux got about twice as close, and if you scale the centre crop to the same size as the Noctilux, would probably look similar, although at the pixel level it is much worse.

Pick your poison.

Pick your poison.

I'd pick a 75 over a 50 at anytime ... never been a fan of shorter focal length, I'm just regretful that I sold the 75 lux in exchange for the 75 cron - not a good choice/taste ... but since I'd use a 90AA most of the time for a more comfortable working distance, a 75 is only going to sit there collecting dust anyways.

It's always harder to focus a 75 lux than to focus the Noctilux on a M ... the 0.68 magnification with the M8 only makes it even worse.

I prefer the closer shot. :)

Have you considered adding a 90 Cron pre-asph to your lineup? They are not expensive, and have a slightly softer look, while still being sharp. It might be a nice alternative for when you aren't taking pictures of your children. Children often have close to perfect skin, so you can use whatever lens you want. This is not always the case with adults :)

Have you considered adding a 90 Cron pre-asph to your lineup?

I actually had one before I went for the 90AA with my M7 ... I agree, I should have tried one again but it's simply a little hard to find a good copy at a fair price these days.

For those interested in the comparative sizes of these lenses, here are some shots. Note that both the 75 Lux (mine) and the Noctilux (borrowed) are not the current built-in-hood versions, but are optically identical. That's a Dual-Range Summicron in the middle, and an M6 modeling in the background. The 50 Cron is about the same size as the current version, perhaps a little smaller. The M6 is a little smaller than an M8 in height and thickness, but the same width.