35mm 1.4 FLE v. 28mm 1.4 – Which one?

Agent M10

I've decided that I need a wide angle lens for my M10s. I've read about both of these lenses and can't make up my mind. Any thoughts on them? I'm leaning towards the 35mm, but then again folks have praised the 28mm to no end. I could get a Q instead of the 28mm, but I'm at the point of just wanting a single system. 

The 28 Lux is my favorite lens on the SL.

On the M however, it blocks too much of the viewfinder for my liking.  I'd go with the 35 Lux.

Edited by anickpick

• 2 years later...

I kind of have to re-open this thread. Not because of the comparison of both lenses but because of a question which raises up in my head. We have some trips planned on which it would make sense to carry only one lens. Now I am overthinking that topic quite a bit, but if one would have to choose one lens for about two years, which one would it be? I know that, just speaking of myself, I can only make the wrong choice or the right choice in terms of the mindset I am carrying along with the trip. I need to either accept the choice, stop overthinking that topic and just enjoy every single moment captured with that lens or just leave the camera at home, sigh!

But let's assume I like both lenses a lot, both have a cinematic look at 1.4 and both are extremely powerful in terms of image quality. So if there happens to be a bad photograph, there is only one person to blame! What kind of influences my thoughts towards my decision which one to take on that trip is size and weight! I favour the 35mm for its size and weight but my heart beats a bit more for the 28. How would you decide? What would you consider when thinking to only have one lens for about two years in a row to shoot with?

11 minutes ago, BJohn said:

How would you decide?

The old adage there is only a couple of steps forward or back between them. The bulk of the 28 is quite a bit more as you have alluded. But, if you heart want's a 28.... Personally, if only one lens I would  take the 35, but not sure that helps you. My reasoning would be for 95% of what I would take the 35 would be the better perspective and provide more pleasing images.

• Like 1

vor 9 Minuten schrieb BJohn:

How would you decide? What would you consider when thinking to only have one lens for about two years in a row to shoot with?

One lens? 28 Lux! Although I love both lenses too. The size and weight of the 35 is of course a good point but whenever I decided to take the 28 instead of the 35 with me I never regretted I did so. Of course this is strongly connected with my personal way of using the Leica M and my favorite photographic subjects. To me the 28 is that notch more pleasing when it comes to architecture related shots wether it’s inside or outside and it always gives you the »reporter qualities« of being close at your subject while preserving some surrounding of a particular scene. And last but not least: cropping is always possible. 😁

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I normally use the 28 in conjunction with a short tele (50 or 75), the 35 is the perfect 1 camera, 1 lens. However that is on any day, but not for a prolonged amount of time.

if I was going on a long trip, I am not sure I could live without something a little wider - I love wide angles - so if size/weight is not an issue, I would be tempted by the 28 which is more flexible on the wide end, but still can be used/cropped for a good environmental portrait if needed

• Like 3

When I take 35 as sole lens to the trip, most of the time I regret that I didn’t choose 28. 35 for me is the most unused focal length.

I feel that focal length questions are pretty meaningless, it’s like asking what food I should eat. Only you can answer the question.

From technical point of view, 28 lux is great lens. 35 lux has hard time keeping up with the M10-R and subjectively rendering loses to the 28... I personally think 35 lux replacement comes sooner than later BUT 35 cron amazing lens (technically).

• Like 4

On 1/28/2018 at 10:21 AM, Agent M10 said:

I've decided that I need a wide angle lens for my M10s. I've read about both of these lenses and can't make up my mind. Any thoughts on them? I'm leaning towards the 35mm, but then again folks have praised the 28mm to no end.

On 1/29/2018 at 7:00 AM, Agent M10 said:

I use the 50mm APO and 75mm Summicron. The 50mm is my go-to lens, although I actually prefer the flexibility of the 75mm. I'm considering a wide-angle lens for those times where a 50mm will not do.

My personal favorite 3-lens combo is the 35mm flanked by 21mm and 90mm

My second favorite is 50mm flanked by 90mm and 24mm

If I already had 50mm and 75mm, my first choice for a third lens would be the 24mm. My second choice would be the 28mm.

I currently have the Lux 28 (11668), Lux 35 FLE (11663) and Lux 50 ASPH (11891) so hopefully I can bring some value to this thread.

If I had to chose two lenses, it would most definitely be a Lux 28 + Lux 50 as I feel that these two focal lengths offer a good balances on both ends of the spectrum while still using the existing RF without using an external VF. The Lux 28 renders beautifully, as most of you all know, and I actually prefer the way it draws over the Lux 35 FLE. I rarely use my Lux 50, but like a good golf bag, when you need it - you're glad that you have it because it can do things neither the 35 or 28 can do. 

That being said, my one lens solution would be the Lux 35 FLE and I'm right on the border of lens anxiety with three Summilux lenses. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should keep all three lenses, but in the case that I have to sell one, it would be the Lux 35 FLE no question.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, CosmoM3 said:

I currently have the Lux 28 (11668), Lux 35 FLE (11663) and Lux 50 ASPH (11891) so hopefully I can bring some value to this thread.

If I had to chose two lenses, it would most definitely be a Lux 28 + Lux 50 as I feel that these two focal lengths offer a good balances on both ends of the spectrum while still using the existing RF without using an external VF. The Lux 28 renders beautifully, as most of you all know, and I actually prefer the way it draws over the Lux 35 FLE. I rarely use my Lux 50, but like a good golf bag, when you need it - you're glad that you have it because it can do things neither the 35 or 28 can do. 

That being said, my one lens solution would be the Lux 35 FLE and I'm right on the border of lens anxiety with three Summilux lenses. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should keep all three lenses, but in the case that I have to sell one, it would be the Lux 35 FLE no question.

I too have those 3 lenses in my kit and agree the 28 is a very special lens. I like the Lux's for their wide open sharpness and 3D looks, but the 28 has a unique kind of glow that reminds me of an 80's film look but with very sharp details. I do the same thing if I am bringing just one lens though, and that's take the 35.

Edited by thatkatmat

3 hours ago, Steven said:

I see you went for the 28. Happy?! 

Hi steven,

I am as happy as I could be! :) Wonderful lens and it at least for me did not make any sense to keep the Lux 35, besides the funny fact: I could switch the lens and play around with the other gem.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 7:53 PM, JTLeica said:

I have the 28 Lux and the 35 Lux ASPH (Pre FLE) and I am in love with the 28.

This is about to me, I think. I have the pre FLE, and ive been itching for the 28 Lux for a few months now. 

Two years after your post:

1. Do you still own the 28? 

2. Do you still have it fixed on your M? 

3. Are you still in love with it ? 

Cheers

I owned the Summicron-M 28, Summicron-M 35 and Summilux-M 50. After making a decision to sell my least used gear and reduce ankst thinking about which lens to use, I sold them all. The M lenses I have left are the Super Elmar 18, Summilux 35 FLE, APO Summicron 50, APO Summicron 75 and APO Summicron 90.

My go to lenses are the Summilux 35 and APO Summon 50. These are my travel lens for my M10-R along with a spare battery makes for a relatively light and compact kit which fits nicely room to spare in my Billingham Hadley Pro 2020 bag.

I also own the SL2, all three Leica SL zooms and the very excellent Summicron-SL 35.

My kids will inherit my inventory of Leica gear as my GAS has been cured. :)

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 6:48 PM, oka said:

When I take 35 as sole lens to the trip, most of the time I regret that I didn’t choose 28. 35 for me is the most unused focal length.

I feel that focal length questions are pretty meaningless, it’s like asking what food I should eat. Only you can answer the question.

From technical point of view, 28 lux is great lens. 35 lux has hard time keeping up with the M10-R and subjectively rendering loses to the 28... I personally think 35 lux replacement comes sooner than later BUT 35 cron amazing lens (technically).

Totally agree with you here "35 lux has hard time keeping up with the M10-R and subjectively rendering loses to the 28". 

On 1/28/2018 at 5:21 PM, Agent M10 said:

I've decided that I need a wide angle lens for my M10s. I've read about both of these lenses and can't make up my mind. Any thoughts on them? I'm leaning towards the 35mm, but then again folks have praised the 28mm to no end. I could get a Q instead of the 28mm, but I'm at the point of just wanting a single system. 

These questions aren’t seldom posted here, but I cannot imagine how I could ever profit from other people’s preferences for one or the other Leica lens, especially when it’s about focal lenghts.  If you are in doubt, the time is not yet there for you to decide, let it grow. 

Edited by otto.f

The 28mm Summilux is a great lens, even if not used much. I think it's one of the most beautiful lenses on the M, in terms of design. 

I used to love my 21 Summilux for being so special, but that one is really a big one. The 28 Summilux is excellent performer and a source of inspiration. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11