35mm 1.4 FLE v. 28mm 1.4 – Which one?

Agent M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've decided that I need a wide angle lens for my M10s. I've read about both of these lenses and can't make up my mind. Any thoughts on them? I'm leaning towards the 35mm, but then again folks have praised the 28mm to no end. I could get a Q instead of the 28mm, but I'm at the point of just wanting a single system. 

Need more insights into what you like to shoot to make an educated guess.

The 35/1.4 FLE is a nice single-lens setup for walking around (I hate calling it "street") and capturing folks with some of their environment.  It's also smaller and lighter.

The 28/1.4 captures more of the scene, is good for buildings, landscapes, and the "whole picture" scene.  28 does push you quite a bit further back, so you lose some of the intimacy of a 50 or longer focal length.  Oh, and it's larger and heavier.  I use the Leica handgrip on my M10 when carrying the 28/1.4.  That makes a well-balanced combination.

Eric

Try one of each. I don't think you need to buy the most expensive versions instantly (nevertheless you can just buy one and maybe resell it for the other, Leica lenses don't depreciate much).

Just see which field of view you prefer (and also what kind of environment you are in, sometimes you can easily get close, sometimes not so much)

And then you can choose between them, both are stellar lenses, so that isn't a big differentiation between them.

Edited by padam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

do you really want / need / will use 1.4 ?  I mostly shoot outdoors and street, on the rare occasion I wish I had the 1.4, but for the major majority of time I rather not have the bulk and weight - think it thru because  for the same price (about) you could get current versions of both .  

• Like 1

I've read about both of these lenses and can't make up my mind. Any thoughts on them? I'm leaning towards the 35 mm, but then again folks have praised the 28 mm to no end.

Don't pay attention to what folks say. Instead, focus on your own needs and desires. Sure, the Summilux-M 28 mm Asph receives many praises, and fully deserves them. But then, so does the Summilux-M 35 mm Asph. Which to get (unless you want both) depends on what else you're having, and using. For example, a 28 mm lens goes well with 50 mm; 35 mm is a nice companion to 75 or 90 mm.

That doesn't mean that 35 mm + 50 mm was a bad combo. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I was using for years with my Leica M9 and then, M (Typ 240). But after having switched to M10, I am gravitating to 28 mm + 50 mm as my preferred two-lens outfit.

do you really want / need / will use 1.4 ?  I mostly shoot outdoors and street, on the rare occasion I wish I had the 1.4, but for the major majority of time I rather not have the bulk and weight - think it thru because  for the same price (about) you could get current versions of both .  

I rarely use 1.4 anymore. And I usually regret it when I do! The photos that please me the most are virtually always stopped down except in very dim light, where quite honestly I prefer to push up the ISO in the M10 or deal with any under-exposure in PP.

If I were starting out buying M lenses now, i wouldn't be buying Summiluxes. The incomparable beauty and true purpose of Leica is best found in its smallest lenses.

The choice between 28mm and 35 mm can only be made by the user on the grounds of which focal length they prefer. There is no compelling reason in terms of quality to make anyone choose one over the other, in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another thing I meant to mention.... when I bought my 35 f2 I really really (that’s 2 really’s) wanted the 35 f1.4. I was very lucky that two things happened

1. It’s was on back order at the time

2. They let me borrow a 35 f2 for the day

Guess what, like Peter H, I only shot 1.4 to try it but I never saw the desire beyond trying it in my practical world.

I never looked back on that decision/purchase , speaking on the 35 f2 its an all around winner.

My advice is borrow / rent one of each and see. Hopefully your in an area that can be done.

Some more advice, focus on where you want your kit to end... 1, 2 , 3, 4. Or more lenses you might conclude both are needed. Focus on end results and enjoy the journey there- there are many paths likely

Chances are probably pretty good you’ll eventually wind up with both a 28 and 35. My last two trips I carried a 21-35-75 setup, while the trip before the two I used the most was a 28 Elmarit ASPH and 50mm Summicron, and I spend hours/days contemplating what to take next.

Fighting the urge to not is just plain folly.

Edited by Gregm61

I use the 50mm APO and 75mm Summicron. The 50mm is my go-to lens, although I actually prefer the flexibility of the 75mm. I'm considering a wide-angle lens for those times where a 50mm will not do. I understand that iPhones are about 28mm POV. Usually that is too wide for me. But was looking for some input from those who have used both. I'm also interested in the rendering of the lenses. I'd like to maintain consistency across the board. That is one reason I'm not considering a Zeiss.

On the fast front, I prefer having the luxury of a 1.4, not really for low light, but for bokeh and isolation. That is one benefit of full-frame cameras.

Edited by Agent M10
  • Like 1

One can wring their hands over field curvature, focus shift, global warming, etc.....OR, just get the freakin' lens and enjoy the pictures. The 35mm f1.4 FLE actually, really and truly does WORK utilizing the depth of field scale if you want front to back sharpness or wide open to isolate subjects taking real-world pictures. Let someone else spent their waking hours taking pictures of brick walls, miniature toys or stuffed animals on tables and looking for problems or the last half inch of performance.

L1020104-X2.jpg

L1020070-X2.jpg

L1020074-X2.jpg

L1028845-X2.jpg

L1028844-X2.jpg

Edited by Gregm61
  • Like 18

• 1 month later...

Until about a year ago, I considered 35mm to be a very good all-purpose focal length, whereas 28mm seemed wide. Then I decided to purchase a Leica Q with its 28mm lens, and now 28mm seems just fine for general usage. In other words, its a matter of personal taste, but tastes can change. I agree with previous suggestions that you try the two focal lengths for yourself, and see which you prefer.