What is a good alternative to the M10?

TG14

I am not interested in the M10 but it doesn't seem to have more teething problems than its predecessors. Now perhaps you don't feel so sure to like rangefinders. In such a case, i would not "invest" that much money and would try a s/h M240 instead. 35mm or 50mm lenses are good ideas. Only you can know which focal length you prefer though. 

• Like 1

I want to get the M10, although I am new to rangefinders. I've tried the M10 in the shop on several occasions for about 20 mins.

However, I'm a bit wary of production and quality control issues after reading various posts in this forum.

Hence, I'm thinking of spending less and getting an older M camera. I could get a new lens if the new ones are so much better.

(Originally, I was thinking of getting the M10 + either a 50 or a 35 f2.)

Which older M camera and/or lens should I get?

Thanks

M-D with Summarit-M 35. Basically it is as simple as film M, but it writes on memory cars, instead of exposing on film. Summarit-M 35 is new aspherical lens for price of trashed Summicron 35 non-aspherical.  

Also, for the price of M10, the M (262) is available with this lens and flash from some dealers.

While I waited for Leica to produce a digital rangefinder that was similar in ergonomics to my Leica M6, I began using a Fuji X-Pro1 rangefinder style mirrorless.

31178807642_c5ef20b17f_c.jpg

Leica M6 & Fuji X-Pro1 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

I know that handgrip makes it look bigger than it really is, but next to a M6 that thing looks huge. I wish Fuji would make the X-Pro line slightly smaller... maybe like 5mm shorter in height and length.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1. The rumors about quality controls are bullshit. That was when the M9 came out. The M10 has the most tight quality controls in the history of M is my impression. The rangefinder has not been more precise than ever before. My shots with (for focusing with an RF) notorious lenses like APO Summicron 90 and Summilux 75 were all spot on, where with my M9 they were about 8 out of 10.

2. The M has always been and will always be, given the fact that it’s a rangefinder, in need of checking whether the focusing is still right. That’s all in the game. Many many times and many many years however, adjustments are not necessary. I had it once, in 28 years of using M’s, with my M9 in 2010.

3. I sold my M10 because I don’t like the colors since the M240 and am happy with my M9. That is purely personal and subjective, but I found the M10 too expensive for what it adds to the still terrific M9. Because an M remains an M, and has never been the single best camera for every purpose, looking through the lens is also a great virtue. I added the SL to my equipment to be more versatile.

• Like 1

I have owned virtually all of the Leica digital cameras at one time. In my opinion, the quality control of Leica in general is substantially better than most other manufacturers. What you read on the forum is a compilation of issues that some of us obsess about and in many other instances new users ask questions about performance in which the resolution is frequently user error. The Focus Button is a perfect example. Many new users believe you must hold in the focus button for something to happen when in fact you simply tap the button to active magnification and then use the rear thumbwheel to select the value of magnification you want. Quite simply, again, in my opinion, the M10 and the Q are the finest Leica digital cameras out yet.

I want to get the M10, although I am new to rangefinders. I've tried the M10 in the shop on several occasions for about 20 mins.

However, I'm a bit wary of production and quality control issues after reading various posts in this forum.

Be sure you want to shoot rangefinders. It's a lot of money to put down, for a camera you might not really love.

But, as far as production issues, this is a forum. Forums are self-selected for people talking about the unexpected, which category "defective hardware" falls into. Fora for other cameras (and other anythings) reveal the same thing.

Most M10s are perfectly awesome, and the >99% of them that are working great, you're unlikely to hear much about. No one feels the need to post, unbidden, "I got an M10, and it works as expected."

• Like 1

There are no alternatives to the M10 it stands unique in the sea of other cameras in the market...I use the M10 with my 5 year old A7R and happy with the combination....I love the M10 rangefinder "Photographs" as I endeavor to create "fine arts photography" while the A7R ( and my Canons) can do the many snapshots. quick and fast.

I don't own a M10, and know nothing about how reliable the camera is. But if you have a good relationship with the dealer where you've been trying the M10, go ahead and buy one. If there are problems with the camera, they should make it good. Aside from all the new tech, as the newest digital M you're likely to have support it for longer than an older model.

And since you're new to rangefinder photography, inquire as to whether your dealer hosts any training days by Leica; a day spent in one of their seminars can shorten the learning curve dramatically. It took me a year to get comforatable with rangefinders, but I'm kind of slow.