Bad luck with the 18-56.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was out shooting when the camera suddenly went haywire. It locked up, after a battery-out restart no aperture control, right wheel dead, half the menus greyed out, and some more. It still took good images though.

At home a reset revived it for a few seconds and then it displayed the message: “cannot communicate with lens” and reverted to its broken state. Put on the 55-135, reset again, got the message “updating firmware” and the camera started working flawlessly. The 18/56 still triggers not communicating and all the problems the 55-135 is without errors. I cleaned the contacts with no result, so the lens is off to Wetzlar Monday.

I was out shooting when the camera suddenly went haywire. It locked up, after a battery-out restart no aperture control, right wheel dead, half the menus greyed out, and some more. It still took good images though.

At home a reset revived it for a few seconds and then it displayed the message: “cannot communicate with lens” and reverted to its broken state. Put on the 55-135, reset again, got the message “updating firmware” and the camera started working flawlessly. The 18/56 still triggers not communicating and all the problems the 55-135 is without errors. I cleaned the contacts with no result, so the lens is off to Wetzlar Monday.

Was it snowing or raining?... I heard this problem with other people, and it seems a drop of water had screwed up the connection.

I hope you'll get your lens back soon with an explanation from Leica that would be interesting for all of us.

You still have great lenses; so, keep shooting, my friend. :)

• Like 1

Well, I called Leica CS yesterday afternoon, got the return label within seconds and the UPS man was on my doorstep within the hour.  I see it arrived in Wetzlar just now. :)

Are you a registered Leica professional, Jaap, to be able to do this directly, or can anyone do it? Or is it only in mainland Europe? Does it come back quicker than if you go through a national dealer/agent?

Is there a sticky on this forum somewhere with telephone numbers and advice on who to call and what to ask for?

I haven't had too many big faults that have needed a return to Wetzlar (body and lens calibration, one lens rebuild), but I've played it by the UK book: taken it to Leica Mayfair, wait till they've checked it over and then given my agreement that it should go off for fixing. They have not been unhelpful, but it would be good to bypass one step in the process.

• 1 month later...

Is there a sticky on this forum somewhere with telephone numbers and advice on who to call and what to ask for?

I send a question to "info(at)Leica-camera.com" yesterday at noon.

The answer came this morning. The second reaction one hour ago. Problem solved. Super! :)

Jan

Edited by jankap
  • Like 1

I think a lot depends on your distance from Wetzlar, measured in which borders must be crossed.  I've had prompt service (e.g. when my M10 ISO wheel lost purchase) but had to pay for shipping inbound to Germany and for customs and handling (about the same amount, even though Leica paid to ship it as far as the airport in Tel Aviv, where the "handlers" pounce on it).  The result was fast -- two days in service, the rest in shipping, but not free as when you can let an official Leica dealer in the EU handle everything.