What are the must have 2 lenses with the M10?

thedwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why is that with the hood on the 35mm? And when do you „know“ that you need it? I actually use the hood to protect the fron of the lens even though the lens looks much nicer without that hood.

I am not sure you can every really "know" that you'll need it. I find that putting the hood on the 35 Lux seems to tips it over the edge from relatively compact to a fairly chunky lens. I know that's purely impressionistic, and the hood it beautifully made and the metal thread a delight to use, but as a consequence I tend to only "hood up" when I'm going out on a bright sunny day, or will be in crowds and want the protection. As the 35 is probably my most used lens, it also gets plenty of use "hoodless", especially at night, or on days with softer lighting or as a go anywhere lens. Although I suspect they are not as protective, I really like the telescoping hood on the lenses I have with on (50 APO, 75 APO, 50 Noct). 

• Like 1

About to pull the trigger on the M10. Realizing at the moment I'm only going to buy one Leica lens. As I mentioned in my original post, I've been using the Q for a while. When I look at my shots and crops...I'm always pushing into 35MM or 50mm range. 

Realizing I am going to invest in a whole new system, I'm only going to buy one Leica lens. I've seen so many reviews and comments in various forums and blogs...my first lens is going to be a 35mm. So many opinions on the lux vs. cron. 

For those of you who've faced this decision, has anyone purchased the cron and eventually switched to the lux? 

I've heard great things about both. Most of my work is outdoors/street so I'm leaning towards the 2.0. Trusting the M10 has the DR to deal with a 2.0 indoors, I'm feeling like the cron is the way to go. Because the 50mm lux is going to be my next purchase within a couple of months. 

Does this make sense to the Leica lens Vets out there?

Why not opt for a nice used 35 Summicron and a nice used 50 Lux? The pair could probably be purchased for considerably less than a new 35 Summilux FLE.

And, to answer your question, I've always used Summicrons. They are small, light and razor sharp. Right now I'm using 35/50/75. Never felt the need for 1.4 myself. Both my M10 and Monochrom produce amazing files at ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 is good in a pinch. That covers more than I need.

• Like 3

Sounds like we come from similar history. Me Nikon, Fuji x with most lenses. My first lens 35mm Summicron. I can’t recommend it too much. Perfect first lens. Compact, light, sharp, etc. M photography is very different. Shooting one for six months I now truly understand what is ment by the comment, “a photographers camera”. The cost of lenses helps you think differently about buying them. The camera will force you to craft each photo... something that autofocus discouraged for me... the manual focus makes me carefully consider DOF... then the rendering. If I wasn’t ready for it this might have been painfull. I have become a much better photographer because of it.

My second lens was a 50mm Summilux... it makes sense as with the f1.4 you want thin DOF... which is complimented by the 50mm. This is a heavy lens! I use it selectively, it is a wonderful lens! The Leica M10 is really good in the 28mm to 50mm range... it’s a range finder. My third lens was a 28mm Elmarit. I really love this lens, incredibly light, sharp and small! I rotate around the 28, 35, and 50mm. I could live with just these. I also occasionally use my 21mm and 75mm.

I still use my Nikon D800 for landscapes... when I want a lot of resolution... trip to a National Park. If I feel artistic or moody, and go into the forest... Leica. City photography... Leica. Business trip abroad, Fuji. Personal trip abroad, Leica. Trip to the city, Leica. Backpacking, Fuji.

Take your time... lens buying I found to be very different with Leica. You may find the same. Take it slow... it is different than the Fuji. It may partially be due to cost, but putting more deep thought into each purchase is a good thing, at least for me. I use less lenses and am getting more out of it, it’s a different world, a really great one.

JD

Edited by JDFlood
  • Like 4

I don't have an M10, but have had several M bodies over the years. And several lenses too.

Personally the two that I have always owned - and likely always will - are a 28 and a 50, with those two you you can cover pretty much anything you need to cover.

And there are incredible performers in both categories, both current and not, to choose from ..

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I too have come from the 5D mkIi (and all the L lenses) to M3/4 to Sony (a7rII) and now to the M9 and M10.

Lens choice is very subjective and personal so I can only tell you what works for me.

Tried as I have, have never fallen in love with the 28 or 24 (though, on a handful of occasions I’d wished I had one) I always seem to gravitate towards the 35 and the 50. More since I switch to the rangefinder system. They just seem made for them. Longer and you end up having to use an EVF, which IMO defeats the purpose of having a rangefinder. Wider and you start to loose the edges of the frame lines. So for me the 2 best choices are the 35 summilux ASPH and a 50mm. This is where it gets tricky - they’re all amazing and each have their own characteristic. The Summilux ASPH has arguably the best Bokeh, The APO is razor sharp without being clinical, and of course the Noctilux is amazing - if you’re willing to deal with its size. But in any case - for me, if I was traveling light, I go with a 35 Lux ASPH and the 50 corn APO or 50 Lux ASPH. If you’re not worried weight (loosing it from your wallet or lugging it) the noctilux is fantastic.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your M!!

• Like 3

I finally got my M10. And for the moment I picked up two lenses....Leica cron 50mm f2 and until I decide whats next, I picked up a 21mm 1.8 Voigtlander. I really like the 50mm, although it's not a focal length I've used much. I'm in the process of learning to shoot with it, The 21mm Voight has surprised me in a lot of ways. For the $ 1K vs 7K (Lux)...I/m getting some great captures. The day will prob come when I make the leap, but for now, I'm feeling pretty good, 

Add to the list of me getting used to the M10(manual focus, etc)...the 50MM Cron has been great. I am considering picking up a 90mm because I do like the ability to shoot street from a safe distance, I'll prob wait a while until I master the M10 body and lenses I have, 

• Like 1

I faced the same dilemma after moving from DSLR 3 month ago and bought the M10, now I understand that 50mm is what everyone include in their wish list but for me I chose 75mm 2.4, 75mm or 50mm will serve the portrait part of my travel photography purpose and to me 75mm does it better and I love every thing about the 75mm 2.4, its sharp and optically perfect or at least the best in that range that I've used compare to all DSLR lenses and 2.4 is very nice depth of field to focus and recompose thats said.....

now I am in the process of buying the other lens and most likely will be my last, thats 28mm in my other topic I am having hard time deciding between Cron and Lux but I know for sure 28mm will serve me good on everything from Landscape to Environmental portrait and general Travel photography.... look at it this way 28mm can be 35mm but 35 can not be 28mm....

to crop 28mm to 35mm when needed is only 1.3 crop factor and using 24mp camera it will be 18mp, regarding depth of field factor a f2 28mm when cropped to be used at 35mm it will give 2.5 depth of field or equally in term of bokeh.....

in the end chose what u like and never mind other people opinion its what serve u well in your photography what you need.

One glaring omission in my post - the intended purpose of the lenses.  

35 and 50 are likely the best for street but maybe not for landscape or architecture.  

This is why this is such a subjective topic.  

I used to love long lenses or extra wide on my DSL or Sony but due to the rangefinder, I a now drawn to the 35/50.  

I have the tele-elmaritt 90 f/2.8 (excellent and sharp) which I use for portrait work but find the focusing a bit tricky.  

I got the EVF but just am not crazy about using it, it's laggy and the resolution is not that great.  

Also, - to me - it seems to defeat the purpose of owning a rangefinder.  I know this will be contradicting what I just wrote but I do use it with the Noctilux, which has now become my go-to lens for portraiture (over the 90).

In any case one thing is certain, Leica M lenses are amazing when combined with the M10, I don't think anyone can go wrong with them.

Keep on shooting.

All my best,

Nick

Edited by NDTPHOTOGRAPHY

.... look at it this way 28mm can be 35mm but 35 can not be 28mm....

to crop 28mm to 35mm when needed is only 1.3 crop factor and using 24mp camera it will be 18mp, regarding depth of field factor a f2 28mm when cropped to be used at 35mm it will give 2.5 depth of field or equally in term of bokeh.....

Sure you can, photo stitching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure you can, photo stitching

Yes you can stitch anything to go even 10mm with a 2 meter width picture but u can’t cheat the prospective and depth with stitching, you can crop 28mm to have depth and prospective of 35mm but you can’t do the opposite with stitching ......

• Like 1

I hope I don't tied up and thrown to the wolves with this question...but everyone seems to be cool here...so here it goes. 

As I mentioned, I finally got my M10. Still getting used to it, and can say I'm a lifer. 

Now it turns back to lenses. So far I've tried the 50mm f2 cron, 75mm f2 Cron, 28mm Voigtlander, & 21 Voigtlander.

The 50MM Cron: Nothing bad to say. It just not a focal length I use much so I returned it.

I rented the 75MM Cron this weekend...and really enjoyed it. Seriously considering it...but didn't realize it was so heavy. 

The 28MM Voigtlander - Couldn't hold a candle to the 28mm I had on my Q...returned.

The 21mm Voigtlander - I really enjoy it and have snagged some great shots...it's a keeper. 

Based on the past few weeks and several hundred snaps...my kit is going to be 21MM Voigtlander// 35MM??// 75MM??

When I price out a full Voigtlander package I can get the 21mm 1.8 V Ultron, 35mm 1.2 V Nokton & 75MM 1,8 V Heliar - all for $2750 USD. 

I already own the 21MM V, so really for another $1,700 I can round out the bag. 

I can get the Leica Cron for 3,800 new ($3,000 used)....and then pick up the V 35mm 1.2 for $1,000, both for $4,800. 

So the difference of $3,100.

I'm not a penny pincher....I know I will eventually end up with all Leica lenses, for now I'm trying to learn the M10 with some versatility in focal length. 

Here are a few images I shot with the 75MM Cron:

https://devinpense.smugmug.com/Forum-Shots/i-9HNCrPj

https://devinpense.smugmug.com/Forum-Shots/i-wrR7gnP

https://devinpense.smugmug.com/Forum-Shots/i-JnpHgds

Here's a shot from the 21MM V:

https://devinpense.smugmug.com/Forum-Shots/i-2fQbqdx

So my question is, has anyone had experience with the 35 & 75MM Voigtlanders? I've heard good things, I've also heard about the purple-ash tint, Are these legit enough for me to master the M10 before I invest in a full Leica Lens lineup? 

• Like 2

I hope I don't tied up and thrown to the wolves with this question...but everyone seems to be cool here...so here it goes.

So my question is, has anyone had experience with the 35 & 75MM Voigtlanders? I've heard good things, I've also heard about the purple-ash tint, Are these legit enough for me to master the M10 before I invest in a full Leica Lens lineup?

I have the 35mm Ultron in screwmount, and it's a very nice lens. I'll see if I can produce some samples on my M10 for you.

Before you go into this plan, I'd suggest looking at the C-Biogon 35mm 2.8 from Zeiss. It's a fantastic lens, easily my favorite after the Summicron. Great size, draws beautifully.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I have the 35mm Ultron in screwmount, and it's a very nice lens. I'll see if I can produce some samples on my M10 for you.

Before you go into this plan, I'd suggest looking at the C-Biogon 35mm 2.8 from Zeiss. It's a fantastic lens, easily my favorite after the Summicron. Great size, draws beautifully.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Since my last post I picked up a 35mm Summicron and I’m glad I did. Not only for the quality but size.

Current I have the v 75 on rental and aside from the size is rendering some nice sharp images.

As I purchased my first Leica, the M10, my favorite lenses are the Summilux 50 and Summicron 35. I also own the Summicron 28 and 75 and the Super Elmar 18.

My normal travel kit is the Fuji XT2 and X100F with Fuji 10-24, 23, 35 and 50 lenses. I am going on vacation to New Zealand later this year for 2 weeks. For trip, I plan on taking my M10 and Summicron 35, Summilux 50 and Super Elmar 18 lenses, the Leica EVF with GPS and my Fuji X100F (APS-C with fixed 23 f2 lens). All of this fits nicely in my Billingham Hadley One bag.

My iPhone X will do just fine for the candid shots during meals, etc. That is always with me.

It's a pain to travel with two camera bodies that required different batteries and chargers, but the Fuji X100F can charge the battery in the camera with a micro USB cable attached to my iPad charger.

This will be my first trip with a Leica and I'm really looking forward to the adventure.

Regards,

Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Edited by budjames