What are the must have 2 lenses with the M10?

thedwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think, photographer is mature then he knows which lenses needed. Knows from his own photography. Sometimes it is trial and error path, sometime it is love at first glance.

But switching gears uptu highest price level without figuring out of focal length is much more simple task. You must have two APO lenses. This is it :)

• Like 1

Do you like the Q or do you like the 28mm focal length; maybe both?   If you find that you tend to crop a lot in PP at 28mm; try the 35FLE with the M10, it's a great combo.  

Great minds think alike.  It occurred to me that if I reviewed my keepers and the most common crop ratios; it would tell me what my natural focal lengths were.

And/or it would reinforce my instinct that I need to get closer to my subjects.  

• Like 1

This question routinely comes up on the Forum, with every camera body Leica ever made.

I personally like the 35/f2 ASPH as it is compact, so much so that mounted on an MP film body or the M10 you can slip it into your outerwear pocket where it will go unnoticed until you put it to your eye. 

I haven't tried it but I suspect the new 28/f2.8 would offer similar advantage. 

I used affordable range finders before getting an M2 in 1965. I chose a rigid 50mm Summicron simply to relate to my earlier, lesser, fixed-lens cameras. The 50mm provided a basic metric from which I could consider alternatives. So standing within the 50mm's perspective I could make photos with the 50mm which I found very good, then move on to experiment with shorter and longer lenses.

So I suggest a 50mm Leica lens first because it is the center of the compass from which to orient. There are many versions of 50mm and all are good.

Then move on. I moved to 35mm Summilux V2. Spend to experiment. Enjoy.

(Today all I carry are 10mm, 35mm, 75mm)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My favs ever are the 28 lux and 50 apo. Both crazy expensive new and the 28 lux is also big and heavy. But worth the weight. Fantastic lens. Found the 28 cron to be low contrast, low resolution and with significant focus shift. Very disappointing. Loved the 50 lux as well but the 50 apo I found even sharper, notably better at the edges, and with an even more pleasing bokeh. Perfect lens. It is also a perfect size, while the 50 lux is a tad long.

Next favorite is the ZM 35 distagon, but it's also a beast. 

I appreciate all the replies. I know this question has been asked a thousand times. And I appreciate the insight from those who have first hand expertise with the Leica system/lenses.

To the reply that made reference about me owning lots of lenses and why I would ask such a question...it’s a little presumptuous to make comments like that.

There are endless systems out there and with each comes a learning curve.

Of course I know and understand focal lengths. And yes I have enjoyed the Q. But I like to travel light so carrying 2 bodies isn’t an ideal option.

Also- as I’m new to the whole no auto focus system, I’m somewhat unfamiliar with the types of M lenses. I have done my share of research but it’s helpful to ask questions to experts.

Again- thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to a mundane basic question.

I’m better informed and there’s nothing like getting the body and lens in hand...ultimately its the best way to decide. So that’s what I’ll do.

Thanks again!

Cheers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For over 40 years I had only 3 M lenses on film, and 95% use was between 35 and 50 mm, with the other 5% 90. But I agree on digital I use more 35, and crop when I would have used a 50 on film. But my travel bag now includes 21 (CV f4) and still a 90 (Summarit 2.5). The 21 CV is so small it tucks away for occasional use, and is easier to use on the M10 with the 020 Visoflex, and as Sean Reid noted in today's post the M10 has less color drift with this lens than the M240 did.

• Like 1