Problems with M9 after sensor replacement

foto2021

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently collected my M9 body from Leica Mayfair, London, after sensor replacement. I was delighted to get it back, but on my first day shooting with it I encountered some problems.

First, it froze when I took 3 single shots in quick succession. The red light flashed for 10+ minutes and an error message appeared - can't remember exactly what it said, but it referred to writing to memory. I left the camera alone, hoping it would eventually write to the memory card (newly formatted in-camera SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC I 40 MB/s Class 10). When I picked up the camera a few hours later the light wasn't flashing, but there was nothing on the memory card.

Trying a second time, with the memory card formatted again, the camera worked but would only deliver DNG files. The menu allows me to choose between Compressed and uncompressed DNG, but no JPG option. The DNG files are satisfactory, image quality is fine, limited only by my own lack of ability ...

It's several years since I had last used the camera because I changed to a Sony A7 before I sent the M9 for sensor repair, so I cannot recall how I originally set it to record RAW+JPG, and now I cannot see any such option on the menu. I find it difficult to believe the camera won't provide JPGs, so I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions welcome. 

If it has been a few years, remember that the M9 has TWO menus - under MENU button and under SET button. The choice of file type/format is in the SET menu, under COMPRESSION.

Press SET button > short SET menu opens > scroll to COMPRESSION > press SET again to get the drop-down list of DNG, JPG fine, etc. > press up/down arrows or scroll with thumb wheel to select the file type (or combination) desired > Press SET yet again to confirm format choice > press shutter button LIGHTLY to exit SET menu.

• Like 1

I wonder if 'newly formatted in-camera SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC I 40 MB/s Class 10' is the problem. There's another thread here about SD cards for M9s. I don't think anyone mentioned using a card above 16Gbyte. My own experience is that cards of quite modest speeds and under 16Gbyte work well in an M9.

Edited by antigallican
  • Like 1

Perhaps your M9 is set to 'Snapshot' mode that removes a lot of options to make the camera as point-and-shoot for those who prefer it that way.  I don't have my M9 anymore so I regret that I'm not in much of a position to help.  I vaguely (though possibly wrongly) recall that Snapshot shows up by pressing the "Set" button as one of the "user" modes.

I hope others will correct me if I've inadvertently misled you.

Pete.

• Like 2

Three excellent answers, all correct. Thank you.

adan:

I had completely forgotten about the SET menu.  :rolleyes:

antigallican: I was aware of potential problems with memory cards but the card I used was the slowest and smallest (in GB) that I currently own - I replace all my memory cards once a year, and it's a couple of years since I had anything smaller than 32GB. I will look for some 16GB cards, which are what I previously used in my M9.

farnz: You're right, it was in Snapshot mode. Because I haven't used the camera for several years - I have been using the lenses on Sony mirrorless bodies - I had completely forgotten about the SET menu. 

The camera works well. Thank you all for your help!  :D

• Like 2

Three excellent answers, all correct. Thank you.

adan:

I had completely forgotten about the SET menu. :rolleyes:

antigallican: I was aware of potential problems with memory cards but the card I used was the slowest and smallest (in GB) that I currently own - I replace all my memory cards once a year, and it's a couple of years since I had anything smaller than 32GB. I will look for some 16GB cards, which are what I previously used in my M9.

farnz: You're right, it was in Snapshot mode. Because I haven't used the camera for several years - I have been using the lenses on Sony mirrorless bodies - I had completely forgotten about the SET menu.

The camera works well. Thank you all for your help! :D

the advantage is that good quality 16g cards are now cheap. Good luck with the M9. I love using mine.

Guest jvansmit

First, it froze when I took 3 single shots in quick succession. The red light flashed for 10+ minutes and an error message appeared - can't remember exactly what it said, but it referred to writing to memory. I left the camera alone, hoping it would eventually write to the memory card (newly formatted in-camera SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC I 40 MB/s Class 10). When I picked up the camera a few hours later the light wasn't flashing, but there was nothing on the memory card.

This happened to me a couple of times (a long time ago) when I chimped immediately after continuous shooting...the camera kept on blinking for ages, and the files had disappeared. I now avoid chimping while the red light is blinking.

• Like 1