What is the printer M Monochrom users like best?

kuad82001

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Jeff,

I was aware of the brighteners in the paper. I don't print colour on the paper and I haven't noticed any fade In the monochrom prints I've made. That said I am going to take this a little more seriously, now that you have pointed it out and hunt down some matt paper without brighteners that come close to this paper's look. Any suggestions?

The Natural version has no brighteners, although the Aardenburg results are surprising. I print on semi gloss papers for exhibition, under glass.

Jeff

I regularly use a number of matte papers that don't incorporate optical brighteners... Hahnemule Museum Etching, Canson Rag Photographique and Edition Etching Rag, and several Awagami Washi papers.  Among papers that include brighteners, in addition to Hot Press Natural and Hot Press Bright, I've used Epson's Cold Press Natural and Cold Press Bright (I don't actually recommend those last two... the pattern of "etching" in the Cold Press papers I find to be too regular... I prefer a more random pattern in papers with texture).

I spent many years bent around the axle on print archivability.  I studiously avoided optical brighteners, always used "museum grade" papers and archival inks, and steadfastly insisted upon archival matting and framing materials.  

I eventually came to have a rather more relaxed attitude about the whole business.  That was after coming to the realization that, save for a very, very few of us, it doesn't matter.  Our carefully crafted pigment-ink prints, kept or displayed properly, will last much longer than we will.  Much, much longer than anyone is likely to care.

Mark over at Aardenburg is a great guy, doing wonderful work that benefits us all.  He deserves our support.  But I'm not altogether convinced that the longevity testing done by him (and others, such as Wilhelm Imaging) directly translates to what we actually see on our walls.  We're still in the early days of pigment-ink-on-paper photographic prints, but fifteen-odd years on, I've become rather less concerned.

And so, yeah, Hot Press Natural and Hot Press Bright remain my go-to's.  And (secret confession time)... over in the luster/photo-black world, Epson's Exhibition Fibre makes for some wonderfully rich black-and-white prints.

Edited by Jager
  • Like 1

Only Hot Press Bright is reported to include optical brighteners.  Hot Press Natural would be a natural fall-back for anyone trying to avoid them.  It's a lovely paper in its own right... just a bit warmer.

I used to print on an old Epson but gave it up when a friend went into printing. I decided to just use his services instead.

Having said that, I am still dreaming that one day, Epson will come out with a dedicated BW printer. I’m almost sure it’s going to be a decent niche market. If that ever happens, I’m going to go back to printing.

I shoot solely with the M246.

I used to print on an old Epson but gave it up when a friend went into printing. I decided to just use his services instead.

Having said that, I am still dreaming that one day, Epson will come out with a dedicated BW printer. I’m almost sure it’s going to be a decent niche market. If that ever happens, I’m going to go back to printing.

I shoot solely with the M246.

That would be great, but of course you could in the meantime run Jon Cone’s all b/w ink Piezography system on an Epson. Requires more effort, but is a constantly improving workflow.

I decided to instead use ImagePrint 10 to drive my Epson, and b/w results are superb. George DeWolfe, a well regarded b/w printer, chose IP over the Cone system....

https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/Ver10/Reviews/BandW_Master_Print.htm

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

After a brief period of experimentation, I found the best combination of printer, paper and ICC profile for my Monochrom M printing from my MacBook Pro with calibrated monitor.

I use mostly Canson Photographique Baryta paper on a Canon Pro-1 printer. On occasion I use Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta Paper.

When I used these two papers with their respective ICC profiles, I found the Canson paper too warm (with slight greenish cast) and the Hahemuhle too cool (with a slight selenium cast). It was the Canson paper that gave me the ability to approach an Adams-like full Zone System spread of tones from black and well-separated detailed black to white and well-separated textured white; however, the warm cast of the Canson bothered me. A serendipitous moment gave me my ideal: I used the Canson paper with the ICC Profile of the Hahnemuhle paper! This profile tamed the warm cast into one that is quite beautiful and retained the full spectrum of tones of the Canson paper. In addition, with the Canon Pro-1, I can make full use of the paper size, up to 18x12” on 13x19” paper without having to use extra wide boarders. I still use Hahnemule paper with its own profile when I want a more contrasty cool look, but to avoid paper scratches because of its weight, I print no bigger than about 11x14” using extra wide boarders.

To address the originating post, the manufacturer’s write up of the Canson paper indicates that brighteners are not used.

I hope sharing my personal, limited experience helps. Tom

Edited by Etruscello
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use an old Epson Stylus pro 7800. My favourite papers are Hahnemuehle fine art baryta and baryta satin. Another paper I love is Epson Traditional Photo Paper (here in Europe, in USA with another name). Hahnemühle Fine Art  Pearl and Hahnemühle Rags are also very nice. I also use Canson and Ilford papers, but I prefer Hahnemühle.

A friend of mine will give me an Epson 4880 which he does not use any more. I plan to use it exclusively with matte ink, and looking forward to try Awagamy paper. I love the prints I get with this combo. The MM I is my favourite camera so far. I edit with Adobe Lr and Ps and use ABW driver. The prints are much, much better than what I see in the monitor. Long life to prints!!

Edited by Neko
  • Like 1

I have the El Cheapo Epson version to B&W printing:

An ET-2550, that allows black-only (no colours in the mix). It has those big tanks - you need them for B&W.

Standard this profile is very dark/high contrast, but with a lower contrast and loghter pre-printing it is very usefull, and on matte paper looks good.

I know it does not compare of course to very expensive printer and papers.

• Like 1