What is the printer M Monochrom users like best?

kuad82001

Well, since I own only the P800, that’s the one I prefer. But other machines, Epson and Canon will suit fine . Results depend more on the human printer (and photographer/editor) than the mechanical printer, especially given the quality of today’s machines, inks and papers.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

I do however, as mentioned in other posts, prefer the use of ImagePrint 10 rather than using the Epson driver. It provides great profiles, constant soft proofing mode, and ensures that I don’t mess up any printer/software settings.

Jeff

The R3000 was unfortunately, like the 4900, a problematic machine. The P600 essentially replaced the R3000, on the more proven and stable platform carried over from the 3800 series.

I can see why you might be disenchanted. In your shoes, I would seek a trade or purchase on a later generation machine. These are frequently discounted anyway (trying to get you to buy the inks, which is where the profits are), and a good dealer might further assist given your experience.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good question. Your optimum printer selection will be based on a number of factors:

1. Amount and size of prints;

2. Type of paper you plan on using;

3. Are you going to use cut or roll paper?

4. Budget

5. Space available

For me, I use a Canon Image ProGraf 1000. Works great for pre cut paper up to 17x22. Fast enough for me, easy to change ink tanks and user changeable print heads. Easy to use and software allows for custom icc profiles for your paper. Printer space requirements are moderate as this can fit on a table. Produces high quality b/w and color pictures on most papers.

If I were to do it again, I would buy the Canon ImageProGraf 2000. 24 inch roll paper, large to huge ink tanks available, and faster printing output. Big, heavy, at least twice as expensive as the 1000. Lower print production costs per square inch if you use high qualty art paper rolls.

Be advised once you start printing you’ll want to: print more, print larger and print on quality art paper- nothing like it.

Good luck

• Like 1

I have been printing on Epson since the 2200. I now have a 24 inch of Epson's latest tech. I am very impressed with the prints. Never in my life have I printed on matt paper. I hated it. I tried some of the art papers for these printers and hated the look. Then a friend of mine gave me a 17 x 22 box of Epson Hot Press Bright. I fell in love with the paper. So now that is all I print on. For my Monochrom work.

I have been printing on Epson since the 2200. I now have a 24 inch of Epson's latest tech. I am very impressed with the prints. Never in my life have I printed on matt paper. I hated it. I tried some of the art papers for these printers and hated the look. Then a friend of mine gave me a 17 x 22 box of Epson Hot Press Bright. I fell in love with the paper. So now that is all I print on. For my Monochrom work.

You’re probably aware, but one cautionary note on the Hot Press Bright is that it contains optical brighteners and therefore will fade over time, even according to Epson (although they claim it will fade to look like Hot Press Natural, which might be optimistic). These brighteners are activated by UV light exposure, so placing prints under UV protected conditions will negate the brighteners, in which case one might use the Natural to start.

Michael Reichmann wrote about this year’s ago...

https://luminous-landscape.com/four-new-fine-art-papers-from-epson-for-2010/

I’m curious how long you’ve used the paper, and whether you’ve noticed any fading. Of course it could be that b/w work is subject to different effect than for color use.

Addendum.... the Aardenburg study referenced in this discussion introduces other interesting factors, I.e., ink set used, print driver vs RIP, and the fact that Natural also exhibits lightening over time... https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3287911

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I use the epson P800 which I have the role feed device.The machine is very well built and has had many good reviews regarding functionality and the new ink formulation especially the Blacks. I still have an epson2880 which is a good printer but too expensive to run due to the small capacity cartridges,has a poor role feed device and a max print size of A3 plus.

Like Jeff I use Image Print 10. Great printer / fantastic software.No reservation in recommending this combo for monochrome and colour/ mat or glossy. Plus it's an A2 printer with a footprint just a bit bigger than an A3 printer.

Edited by Guest

Hot Press Natural, without the optical brighteners, is a wonderful paper.

______

I'm using an Epson 3880 which has been a solid printer that makes fine prints.

Back when, I used MIS greyscale inks and went through the process of printing gray scale test charts, measuring them to create profiles, and this made great prints.  These days, the 3880 printer, your paper of choice, plus ImagePrint 10, and the process could hardly be easier.

Hot Press Natural, without the optical brighteners, is a wonderful paper.

______

I'm using an Epson 3880 which has been a solid printer that makes fine prints.

Back when, I used MIS greyscale inks and went through the process of printing gray scale test charts, measuring them to create profiles, and this made great prints. These days, the 3880 printer, your paper of choice, plus ImagePrint 10, and the process could hardly be easier.

Agree re: IP10. Do you notice any bleaching/lightening over time with the Natural paper, as described in the Aardenburg study linked above?

Jeff

Agree re: IP10. Do you notice any bleaching/lightening over time with the Natural paper, as described in the Aardenburg study linked above?

Jeff

Not as yet.  For the most part, my prints are kept away from light, or a few behind museum glass.

Most of my camera gear is from Canon, so I guess it was natural that I'd end up with a Canon printer.  I've had some success with M246 images printed on the Canon Pro-1, using a couple of different Canon papers.

Canon sell some great printers (and cameras) so no problem there. I bought the P800 mainly because Michael Reichman gave it such good reviews especially the D max readings.

If you want to try some interesting papers buy a test pack of Hahnemulle. Not the cheapest but very good.

Northlight Images provides many comprehensive, objective and practical user reviews on a variety of printers. Well worth a search if in the market.

Paper choices are, as always, subject to personal preference. I stock a variety to suit different needs, including Hahnemühle, but have since become more fond of the Canson line, e.g., Infinity Baryta Photographique (similar to Ilford Gold Fibre Silk) and Platine Fibre. Lots of terrific choices across various brands these days.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I have only one printer at a time, and a lot of cameras, so my printer has to work for any photo I print from any camera. :)

I used an Epson R2400 for about a decade, after going through three or four printers before that and trying various B&W printing solutions. The R2400 worked very well, I sold many, many prints I made with it. So when I wanted to update a couple of years back, I went with the Epson P600. I considered the larger P800, but I don't print that large too often and its additional size meant it didn't fit well in my office; I'd have to rearrange a lot of things to make it work as well as the P600. But no matter: the P600 prints large enough and works extremely well, even better than the old R2400. 

One of the reasons I stick with Epson is that they have the best in-print-driver B&W printing workflow as well as a huge range of papers supplied by them and virtually everyone else of note selling paper with printing profiles that are much better than anything I can make or have made myself. Their inks are excellent, service and support have always been excellent, so ... they've got me as a solid customer for the foreseeable future. 

G

You’re probably aware, but one cautionary note on the Hot Press Bright is that it contains optical brighteners and therefore will fade over time, even according to Epson (although they claim it will fade to look like Hot Press Natural, which might be optimistic). These brighteners are activated by UV light exposure, so placing prints under UV protected conditions will negate the brighteners, in which case one might use the Natural to start.

Michael Reichmann wrote about this year’s ago...https://luminous-landscape.com/four-new-fine-art-papers-from-epson-for-2010/

I’m curious how long you’ve used the paper, and whether you’ve noticed any fading. Of course it could be that b/w work is subject to different effect than for color use.

Addendum.... the Aardenburg study referenced in this discussion introduces other interesting factors, I.e., ink set used, print driver vs RIP, and the fact that Natural also exhibits lightening over time... https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3287911

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I was aware of the brighteners in the paper. I don't print colour on the paper and I haven't noticed any fade In the monochrom prints I've made. That said I am going to take this a little more seriously, now that you have pointed it out and hunt down some matt paper without brighteners that come close to this paper's look. Any suggestions?

I use both a P800 (using OEM inks) and a 3880 using Jon Cone's Piezography inks.

I also use a variety of different papers.  Hot Press Natural and Hot Press Bright are probably my most-used matte papers.  Love them both.  And, no, I have noticed no fading.