Buy a Leitz Focomat V35?

logan2z

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an opportunity to buy a used Leitz Focomat v35 enlarger with color head, 40mm Focotar lens and negative carrier.  I haven't seen the enlarger in person yet, but it appears to be in good cosmetic condition from photos and the seller claims it is in perfect working order.  I'm not sure if it has the newer double condenser yet but I'm waiting to hear back from the seller about that.  My one concern is the color head since I'll be using the enlarger exclusively for black and white printing.  How much of a drawback/nuisance is the color head for B&W?  I've looked around a bit for used B&W heads but they don't seem to be that easy to come by.  Trying to decide if it makes sense to buy the Focomat or a different enlarger that is more suitable for B&W prints.  I'm also curious what would be a reasonable price to pay for the package as prices on eBay/etc. seem to be all over the place.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by logan2z

I used the colour head with my V35 for a while, I had a chart taped up mapping the three dials to a contrast setting, and did not find it a significant nuisance. I am now using a split grade system, which provides contrast changes with a single dial.

I have both a single and a double condenser box, honestly you will be hard pressed to tell any difference. Check the lens for separation bubbles if it is an early one.

As I understand it, finding replacement bulbs is a serious challenge. Heiland (the split grade people in Germany) makes a replacement light unit (interesting but not cheap). 

FWIW, I have been using a focomat 1c since forever, and I would not change it for a V35. 

The Heiland split grade system on any enlarger is very very good. It gets you to a good print remarkably quickly (with some creative input from oneself re contrast preferences and burn/dodge). The workflow is also very simple.

The V35 implementation of split grade has the advantage of not needing a separate interface box (all integrated) and so is less expensive than the split grade for other enlargers. Of all my enlargers I love the Durst with RHDesigns controller and V35 with split grade best, but the V35 is the fastest to get a good print and gets the most use.

• Thanks 1

I picked up a V35 a few years ago, and indeed the proper bulb is very hard to find and is long out of production. I tried the supposed equivalent, and the exposure times were very long, as it is much less bright. Finally I found a couple of the originals, and they are much brighter. Heiland does have an LED panel made either for split grade or standard.

However, I'd used an Omega B22XL for 50 years, and went back to it, as I found i got better prints (due to my old habits). The B22 was a workhorse in newsrooms back when.

The split grade might change my mind

http://www.imx.nl/photo/Film/styled-8/

Edited by TomB_tx

It looks like I'd be able to pick this enlarger up for $350 (maybe even slightly lower).  I'm tempted at this price despite the potential issue of finding a replacement bulb.  Apparently the halogen capsule can be replaced in the old bulb by doing a little surgery on the old housing: 

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=7500775&rid=12189#msg_7500775

Worst comes to worst I guess I can resell the enlarger or pick up the Heiland LED unit.  Am I nuts? :)

Autofocus is over-rated, so is the V35.

I have an old Valoy with extended column, oversized baseboard and optional lamp head cooling bonnet. Forget about the Leitz Focotar lenses - get something newer. The Valoy never goes out of alignment, is stone reliable, and accepts  many affordable available lenses. I keep a case of 75W and 250W bulbs handy. VC papers are accommodated with filters under the lens.

Simple is happiness.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Lack of halogens and LED reflector bulbs with the same intensity, diameter (and colour temperature) is one thing, lack of suitably narrow beam angle is equally problematic. Changing the lamp fitting to accommodate one of the very common a wider angle LED would be unproblematic for B&W if its  light output was correspondingly highter.

The focomat is sturdily built, except for the weak plastic part transfering the torque of  the negative holder release mechanism. Do check that the levers operate smoothly and actually do lift.

p.

Seriously the V35 is a fantastic enlarger and the 40mm Focotar lens is the best.

Take time to set it up correctly and the autofocus is grain magnifier spot on right through the range.

The colour head can be used without any filtration or with the filters dialled in for multigrade printing.

The bulbs are still available if you do a search - I bought two a couple of years ago BUT I have to say that in 10years of use I have never had to replace one.

If the V35 is a good price and is in good condition BUY IT there is in my opinion no better 35mm enlarger.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that one could still find the bulbs.

I love my V35 + Heiland splitgrade. Would not trade it for any other.

I've heard a lot about the splitgrade. Definitely something I'd consider adding down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post a quick follow-up on this:

I looked at the Focomat being sold locally but it was in worse shape than advertised so I passed. There was another on eBay recently but the bidding went over $600 and I didn't think it was worth that much. I ended up buying a Beseler 23C II XL being sold by a local seller. Great deal, it looks nearly brand new, came with a ton of accessories (safe lights, easel, Omega timer, etc) and everything works as expected.

I'm still a ways from getting my home darkroom up and running but hope to be making prints with the Beseler soon.

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 4

One stop neutral density is built into the VC module so density remains same across grades.

With color module,  you can boost grade just by adding 30 magenta so there is far less extra  exposure required.  By the time you add enough magenta to get grade 5,   filter density will be same as VC module.   If desired you can add a lot of extra density using  magenta + yellow in differing amounts to get all grades and keeping grey the same.  

• Like 1