L-Bracket for Leica CL?

alainD

I hunted for ages to find something that was long enough, didn't project up above the camera and didn't interfere with the strap lugs ....... finally found something for £15 on Amazon (it was cheaper when I got it). It seems to be under a number of brand names with minimal differences. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N63S2YF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stuck some self adhesive foam on the vertical bit to stop it scratching the camera body. I use the smaller Peak Design strap/handstrap with the loop in connectors so it can be pushed right up against the body. You have to loosen and slide slightly to access the battery if fixed snugly. Until someone makes a custom one like RRS for the SL this will be adequate. (ideal for TL2 also).

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

I have the no name L plate mentioned by tighslapper and I have a small L bracket from ArcaSwiss too.

Differences :

- Arcaswiss much better quality but much much heavier.

- ArcaSwiss has the new mini-Arca plate...which is thiner than the usually called "Arca" plate (it has a rectangular shape instead of square). That means that this plate can be locked on your ballhead with two sides instead of four possible.

It is not a big deal in real use but you need to pay attention on this when you lock your ballhead with your plate.

- No-name one has a long and large base plate. That means the camera balances well with it and is stable. With the ArcaSwiss one the plate is small so the camera doesnt rest horizontal when you put it on a table but drops toward the front so your lens touches the table. I don't like it but it is not a big issue.

Note that the No-name one has a kind of screw under it that doesn't make it so stable either. Got no idea what this screw is for...I may try to get rid off it.

- ArcaSwiss fixation to the camera feels much much secure than the No-name one. With the no-name one the screw that goes into your camera feels very cheap and doesn't feel like it is safe (my feeling). For that reason only...I decided to go with the ArcaSwiss plate because I do not want to risk any incident with a breaking screw...

I also wish there is an RRS L plate for T...

One more thing :

- No matter what I do with the No-Name screw it seems the camera will always rotate after a while...also a reason it feels unsafe to me.

Mine has a flip over lever/ring thing on the screw so you can do it up tight ..... and combined with the rubber feet on the bottom it doesn't come loose at all. I used it on my TL2 for a 9 day landscape trip and it was on the whole time with no problem. 

Edited by thighslapper

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a KIRK Photo universal L-plate which works well but is pretty bulky. I decided to give the Exxy Omni Jr. by Fotodiox a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-L-Bracket-Leica-M-Mount-Cameras/dp/B07DHW8C4V/

It's still on the way. But it looks versatile and adaptable, and a handy size. Not too expensive at about $40.

I emailed RRS about a possible plate for the CL but they never bothered to respond.....

Gordon

They have just recently moved out of California to Utah, I think. I'd send them another email; it might have gotten lost in the shuffle. 

• 1 month later...

I have a KIRK Photo universal L-plate which works well but is pretty bulky. I decided to give the Exxy Omni Jr. by Fotodiox a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-L-Bracket-Leica-M-Mount-Cameras/dp/B07DHW8C4V/

It's still on the way. But it looks versatile and adaptable, and a handy size. Not too expensive at about $40.

The Exxy Omni Jr didn't fit, and wouldn't fit any of the cameras it was listed for. I returned it. I'll stick with the Kirk Photo Univeral L bracket: it works for anything.

• Like 1

I use the Really Right Stuff MC-L universal bracket that I originally bought for my M8.  Fits well, has a recess that aligns the camera base to the L bracket.

See details here.  It is labelled for Digilux 2 but you will notice it is more a universal design.  Has to be removed to change batteries or SD cards which is almost inevitable unless someone comes up with a custom design.  If you want precise alignment for panoramas you will need to scribe a mark to line up with the lens centre line, but I have just judged it by eye and haven't had any issues with stitching scores of panoramas.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/MC-L-for-Digilux-2-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LC1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Have finally dumped my cheap and nasty Amazon offering for an Arca-Swiss Mini as I use a AS P0 ballhead and this offers both of the AS dovetail sizes (just rotate them).

The bottom bit runs on rods and can be unlocked and the vertical bit moved outwards to access the battery door ...... although I have removed 1cm from the rods permanently so it doesn't obstruct in any position. 

It's a very robust, flexible, albeit expensive solution ...... but like most AS is designed to last a lifetime. 

I've also fitted the new Arca Swiss quicklink release clamps to all 3 of my tripods so my ballhead(s) can be swapped between them in seconds without resorting to allen keys and screwdrivers. 

If you want to spend loads of money quickly ...... Arca Swiss is the way to go ...... :p

Edited by thighslapper

Sunwayfoto DP-26R Universal Quick Release Plate

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=email&A=details&Q=&sku=1302581&is=REG

Absolutely perfect for adding arca to the CL...small, in the way of nothing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sunwayfoto DP-26R Universal Quick Release Plate 

Absolutely perfect for adding arca to the CL...small, in the way of nothing.

That looks good!

I've been using the RRS B9E plate. It sits slightly offset from the lens axis, but that allows it to clear the card/battery door with room to spare. It's also a bidirectional plate, which means I can fit it to the tripod either with the clamp set up fore/aft or side-to-side for micro distance or left/right adjustments within about a 10mm range without having to move the tripod. It also works perfectly on the R Adapter M tripod foot, allowing it to be fitted with the positiioning anti-twist edge either at the front, back, or sides.

A handy plate. :D