Coming in from the cold with DLux 109

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was planning to take my 109 out skiing with me. I carry it in a foam lined hard case for protection. I’m concerned about moisture getting into in when the lens retracts and then I bring it indoors. Is there something I can do to protect against this?

You could do a number of things:

Bring the camera indoors, leave it on with the lens extended to the maximum “face down”. Make sure you set the delay on closing down the camera to the maximum.

You could bring it in and wipe the extended lens down with a dry cloth or sponge.

You could take the battery out and put it into a tupaware container with drying crystals overnight.

I had the opposite issue with a leica c. Inside cold hotel room in the tropics went outside in hot humid weather and then back in. My sensor had condensation and it went back to leica for a cleaning. I now keep camera off until the camera is 'tempered ' .

• 4 weeks later...

Place camera in a plastic baggie when going indoors and leave it sealed until camera reaches room temperature- always works for me.

That's the trick. I've been doing that with my cameras for about 30 years. You're right to be concerned about the condensation, even more so with the chance of getting water into the electronics.