Sensor dust tips?

retcheto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was forever cleaning my M240 sensor but my M10 started clean and has not yet needed cleaning. Partly because I change lenses much less by pairing the M with a Q. I do wonder if the M240 attracts dust more than the M10 due to electromagnetic field? My M240 sensor was dirty from new but the M10 spotless. Have Leica cleaned up their assembly line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I like the tip not to use cleaning fluid stored in (small) plastic bottles because it dillutes the plastic components over time - and you would not like such a residue.

--> I have a glass bottle of alcohol 99% (abs that is) - can I really use that instead?

I found out that a dry swab also removes dust good enough for me. 

You can do it yourself, quite practical when no "professional" is available. The method and result is identical.

With one notable exception:  When you do it yourself, your wallet has an extra $50 in it when you are done.  :D

Edit

Prevention is better than cure.

Avoid dust by changing lenses with camera throat facing down in a sheltered dust free environment...

I have my doubts that there is such a place, other than the clean rooms in computer manufacturing facilities or Leica's lens manufacturing facility in Wetzlar.

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 3 weeks later...

When I sent my M9M in for sensor change, i was told there was also a scratch on it. Probably from cleaning. They changed it anyway. Since then I don't attempt cleaning the sensor myself but get it done professionally once in a blue moon.

• 5 months later...

Ps. You should avoid shooting at apertures of f11 and smaller if possible as diffraction will degrade image quality. use f5.6 or f8 for best quality from most lenses, many Leica lenses are excellent at wider apertures to wide open

If that is true, then why does Leica make lenses that stop down beyond f8?  Thanks.  Matt

On 1/26/2018 at 2:36 PM, retcheto said:

What’s the difference then between a “professional” cleaning and doing it yourself with the swabs?

Cost. You can pay a camera store about $70 to have it done, or do it yourself. I also use Eyelead (previously mentioned) and just very lightly rock it across the sensor until I have covered the whole area. It takes about 5 minutes total. If you buy this product, get the real thing and not the cheap imitation. Your sensor is worth it.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently my MM CCD was cleaned professionally three times in as many months where the lens did not change at any time. The MM sensor is a dust magnet in my view. Normal outside camera cleaning is a must with this camera. Dust from inside the camera can be dislodged and find its way to the sensor too. After one sensor clean I checked to find that they did a very good job however after slightly knocking the base of the camera the sensor showed several dust and fibre marks. 

I have become meticulous at outside cleans and always blowing rear lens elements when changing lenses. I also place the lens cap on when walking outside in stronger winds/dusty locations out of paranoia really. I don't mind paying for sensor cleans every 4 months or so however not three times in three months, it gets expensive.    

Kendoo,   I found the CCD sensors like those found in the M9, Monochrom and S2 systems more prone to dust and lint than CMOS sensors.  My many years of using digital cameras, my technique was first to use good a blower like a large Giottos jet blaster.  This would often blow off the dust/lint off the sensor and out of the light sensor at the bottom of the sensor box.  Second, I would use a Visible Dust light loupe magnifier to look at the sensor closely to find the hard to clean dust spots.  Then, I would use SensorVu Cleaner, Dual Tip Sensor Cleaning Kit, made by Dot Line Corp. at www.dotlinecorp.com .   These are the same sticky sticks, the Leica factory techs use to clean the camera sensors during assembly.  These work great.  I use a light dabbing motion and rock the stick and it picks up most in not all dust and lint.  This is the same technique used by the Leica techs.  I look via the loupe to make sure the sensor and corners are clean.  If not, I repeat the procedure.  Last, if you have debris like water droplets on the sensor that have dried on the sensor, I use Vswab Ultra MXD-100 sensor cleaning swabs with a good sensor cleaning fluid.  Once you try cleaning your own sensor and getting the technique down, you will save yourself a lot of money.  It just takes a little patience.  When I owned the aforementioned cameras, I would always inspect and clean the sensor before going out to shoot.  It was a pain to do, but necessary living in the desert.  You can always remove the dust via Light Room post processing etc, but for me, starting with a clean sensor worked best.  The sensor glass is stronger than you would think, just don't press too hard.   Last, if you get really stubborn debris then you can always take it to the camera store and let them do it.   r/Mark 

my first step is to blow out the camera, no lens , shutter closed.  Most dust starts there and then migrates to sensor. With DSLR, mirror down, then up.

•  
1 hour ago, Kendoo said:

Recently my MM CCD was cleaned professionally three times in as many months where the lens did not change at any time. The MM sensor is a dust magnet in my view. Normal outside camera cleaning is a must with this camera. Dust from inside the camera can be dislodged and find its way to the sensor too. After one sensor clean I checked to find that they did a very good job however after slightly knocking the base of the camera the sensor showed several dust and fibre marks. 

I have become meticulous at outside cleans and always blowing rear lens elements when changing lenses. I also place the lens cap on when walking outside in stronger winds/dusty locations out of paranoia really. I don't mind paying for sensor cleans every 4 months or so however not three times in three months, it gets expensive.    

18 hours ago, Kendoo said:

Cleaning it yourself would save you a lot of money and hassle.