24-90 for Event and Weddings?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do people rate this on the SL? image quality, af speed, low light capability.

Does anyone have any galleries, wedding/events preferably that I can peruse?

I'm currently using a Leica Q (28mm) and Leica M10 (50mm 1.4) for everything (weddings, music, events, travel) in these last few months, and I feel like I'm creating myself a little perfect bubble.

However the last two events I shot, a fashion show and a play rehearsal at a school gave my (newly acquired) manual focusing skills a good workout. Since I'm in the middle of selling my SL and 90-280, I wanted to question the decision i'm making :)

Edited by dancook

The 24-90 IQ is fantastic. It’s better than the various Nikon zooms I used to shoot (17-55 f/2.8 onDX and two versions of 24-70 f/2.8 on FX).

The AF speed in low light is not as good as the phase detect Nikons. I have not shot a wedding or similarly lit event with the SL but I have tested in similar lighting to compare to my experience with the Nikons. The SL2 needs phase detect AF on sensor or some new advanced contrast detect system that doesn’t yet exist.

With my Nikon D4s I shot the 24-70 f/2.8, 58 f/1.4, and 200 f/2 for these types of events and the SL isn’t quite there yet for me. The 50SL is slow compared to the Nikon 58 and the overall AF acquisition is too slow in low light for me. You can certainly make it work but it’s not at the same level of speed. When you get the shot the three native SL lenses are fantastic in IQ.

• Like 2

The 24-90 IQ is fantastic. It’s better than the various Nikon zooms I used to shoot (17-55 f/2.8 onDX and two versions of 24-70 f/2.8 on FX).

The AF speed in low light is not as good as the phase detect Nikons. I have not shot a wedding or similarly lit event with the SL but I have tested in similar lighting to compare to my experience with the Nikons. The SL2 needs phase detect AF on sensor or some new advanced contrast detect system that doesn’t yet exist.

With my Nikon D4s I shot the 24-70 f/2.8, 58 f/1.4, and 200 f/2 for these types of events and the SL isn’t quite there yet for me. The 50SL is slow compared to the Nikon 58 and the overall AF acquisition is too slow in low light for me. You can certainly make it work but it’s not at the same level of speed. When you get the shot the three native SL lenses are fantastic in IQ.

Yes I had the 50SL, not being able to rely on the AF to work made it difficult to accept the bulk of it. 1.4 being made for low light, but contrast detection - not! I would like the SL to have phase detection then it would help my decision to stick with it.

The SL 24-90 is as good as it gets in a standard zoom for the 35mm format. Optics are stellar. But you really need to test it yourself to see if it's up to your standards as far as AF speed goes. It's most certainly better than the 90-280 or 50 SL 'lux when the light drops.

I use it at every wedding I shoot. I don't have any focus issues in receptions. But that's me. I've adapted a bit (I'll focus on a tie/collar rather than a face to get good AF for example) since going all mirrorless 5 years ago.

Rent one or buy a mint used copy and move it on if you don't like it.

Gordon

p.s. I'm getting my SL 90 in a week or so. Really looking forward to seeing how that stacks up in lower light.

• Like 4

The SL 24-90 is as good as it gets in a standard zoom for the 35mm format. Optics are stellar. But you really need to test it yourself to see if it's up to your standards as far as AF speed goes. It's most certainly better than the 90-280 or 50 SL 'lux when the light drops.

I use it at every wedding I shoot. I don't have any focus issues in receptions. But that's me. I've adapted a bit (I'll focus on a tie/collar rather than a face to get good AF for example) since going all mirrorless 5 years ago.

Gordon

p.s. I'm getting my SL 90 in a week or so. Really looking forward to seeing how that stacks up in lower light.

That's good to hear it's better than the 50 and 90-280 in lower light, feels me with some confidence.

My wife asked me if I'd sold my SL yet - ermm not quite i might buy another lens for it :D

It will be good to see how you get on with the 90 it will give a good expectation of future primes.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Dancook!

I have got SL 601 and SL 24-90 over 1.5 year. I am happy with this combo for event and activity!

I have also used both SL 601 & M10 with M35 Lux & M75 Lux for portrait and street life.

Ps: I seldome use M50 Apo and intend to trade this len for SL Apo 90 in coming!

Have a good day!

Thanks!

Edited by phongph
  • Like 1

I certainly have no doubts in the performance of the 24-90VE on SL as a great wedding reception photographic gear. However I’m keen to know how do you cope with the lack of TTL/HSS Wireless trigger for you to work on fill lights outdoors in day time? I do not think you get to choose the location and time for the wedding event as a photographer, right?

• Like 1

How do people rate this on the SL? image quality, af speed, low light capability.

Does anyone have any galleries, wedding/events preferably that I can peruse?

Image quality: Stunniing

Af-speed: No issues. I use spot all the time (sometimes face recognition for portraits)

Low light capability: AF is okay but for dance floor etc. I rely on the Q which is unbeatable compared to the 24-90 (or 90-280)

I'm curious to test the AF capabilities of the new 75/2 and 90/2. 

• Like 2

I certainly have no doubts in the performance of the 24-90VE on SL as a great wedding reception photographic gear. However I’m keen to know how do you cope with the lack of TTL/HSS Wireless trigger for you to work on fill lights outdoors in day time? I do not think you get to choose the location and time for the wedding event as a photographer, right?

I do nothing in the way of off camera flash at weddings.

The Leica flashes are capable of on camera TTL/HSS.

I will aspire to it one day :)

Gordon

I'm surprised you don't find AF on the 90-280 to be on a par with the 24-90. I haven't found much difference - as good as each other.

That being said, I am super tempted still to get it.

Sell my

24mm 1.4 asph

35mm 1.4 asph

90mm 2.0 apo asph

Keep

Leica Q

Leica SL + Both Zooms

M10 + 50mm 1.4 

That combo would give you image quality that would be hard to beat and a lot of flexibility with hardly any need to change lenses .... just occasionally for the 90-280. 

If you missed the 35/1.4 you could always substitute the Zeiss 35/1.4 which gives the same performance for an awful lot less. 

I do nothing in the way of off camera flash at weddings.

The Leica flashes are capable of on camera TTL/HSS.

I will aspire to it one day :)

I ask about OCF applications in wedding events cause I'm impressed with some of the great works photographers have achieved with OCF as they bring the pictures alive by filling in light appropriately over otherwise not flattering ambient light of the venues. Technically one can use on camera flash to acheive similar results but it takes the need to find the ambient light at the right angle and fill the on camera flash to lift the shadows on the subject. However it takes great skill to balance both source of light. I'm still in the process of learning, therefore very keep to explore more.

I ask about OCF applications in wedding events cause I'm impressed with some of the great works photographers have achieved with OCF as they bring the pictures alive by filling in light appropriately over otherwise not flattering ambient light of the venues. Technically one can use on camera flash to acheive similar results but it takes the need to find the ambient light at the right angle and fill the on camera flash to lift the shadows on the subject. However it takes great skill to balance both source of light. I'm still in the process of learning, therefore very keep to explore more.

You don't need TTL or HSS for that. In reception venues light levels are low.

Gordon

Gordon

A bit of bounce flash from time to time for the evening, hopefully off a low white ceiling.

If you use OCF you need a plan or an assistant :)