No TTL & HSS, just reliable & simple OCF

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I make no secret to treat my M10 as my soul camera to satisfy my craving to shoot manual focus with primes leisurely while using my SL with both native zooms as workhorse to fullfill my passion for photography. As I continue to compliant about the lack of proper wireless triggers to support Leica cameras on TTL & HSS lighting application, I continue to look for a simple and reliable way to shoot OCF. With manual OCF set up and camera set to M mode, I found the triggers I've used can repeatly allow me to fire off at sync speed of 1/250 sec instead of the Leica slow sync speed of 1/80sec. After years of using pocket wizard Plus IIIs and Lumopro manual flashes, I found it tiring to do the ste up each time from one OCF to 3 OCFs. I've also encountered issues of intermitent lighting failure either due to poor contact from wireless receiver to flash connection to the sequence of the flash turning on before the receivers that I must strictly follow. Searching the web in recent times, I found the new launch of the Phottix Juno manual flash with built in transceiver and accepts triggering signals from Phottix Ares II wireless trigger. So I've decided to purchace and trial on my SL as in the first picture below. I can choice to either use the Ares II to trigger one or more Juno flash or I can mount one Juno flash on camera and set it to trigger another Juno OCF. As a trial, I set up two OCF to take a shot of my M10. One to my left to fill in against ambient light from the right and another OCF to fill the background. 

Phottix Ares II wireless Trigger + Juno Manual Transreceiver Flash

34852915994_f49922aea0_k.jpgPhottix Ares II & Junos by sillbeers15

my M10 taken with 24-90mm VE w. SL & 2x OCF

34950465204_5899532e39_k.jpgMy M10 by sillbeers15

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Are you saying the new setup using phottix is better than using the pw iii’s ?

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From my pespective as a user who ask for simplicity & reliability, Yes!

I have to wire up the PWIII (receiver) to the flash via PC sync cord. Gets occasionally unreliable due to the extra connection. It also takes time to set up, uses more AA batteries and cumbersome to move.

On the move, I can hand held the Phottix Juno flash in my left hand while I shoot with my right hand. At times, I use a selfi stick to extend the flash in my left hand. When using both flashes, I just place the second flash on the ground with the flash support bracket provided by phottix as a back light.