Strange Line

jgb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for advice and/or suggestions as to what has recently appeared on my files. There is appearing a vertical line 3/4 way from the right. It is not noticeable in 'busy' photos but for 'big sky' shots it is there.

I am attaching 2 samples, pre-processed in which the line is there, 1 taken this morning against a sky, the other taken last week. I have marked the line. 

I haven't touched the spots on the unprocessed file, they are not the issue. The max file size is 500kb so they may not be visible, but the line is there.

Regards

Jimmie 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Many thanks for the reply. Maybe this will work? Still unclear at this size? J

The line isn't visible but I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that it's caused by a 'dead' pixel.

Is it predominantly one colour (magenta, possibly), one pixel wide and, when it appears, it appears in exactly the same place in every picture?

The only reason I suggest this might be the problem is because I had just such a fault.

Pip.

EDIT : I see you have posted a further snap as I was typing. It's still not totally clear on my screen. Could you post a crop at, say, 200% and see if that helps matters?

In the meantime I'll see if I can track down one of my faulty images for use as a comparison...

Here is what I had on my sensor;

Edited by pippy

Maybe more visible on this one? 

I've resized this one, hopefully visible. Puppy, your Dead Pixel line appeared to be bright down the length of the line, mine appears dark. I don't know enough to suggest they are the same issue or not. How was your problem resolved? J 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...your Dead Pixel line appeared to be bright down the length of the line, mine appears dark. I don't know enough to suggest they are the same issue or not. How was your problem resolved?...

Hi J.

I can now see yours and, as you say, it doesn't look quite the same problem at all. As such I'm afraid I can't offer any other suggestions.

FWIW In my case I needed to have a new sensor fitted. Hopefully your issue will prove to require less drastic remedial action.

Good luck!

Pippy.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

I found that kind of "line" in some of my pictures as well. See below.

I tried to analyze by looking at other pictures. What I found that it is visible only if (in my case) all the following is true: i) ISO 200, ii) pushed by 2 to 3 stops in PP, iii) the affected area is lighter. It is most visible in 3stop push (barely visible in 2stop)

So far I have found this in only 2 cases (I went through my potential keepers) and I have better pictures from the same set without PP push and without line. Therefore I am not going to bother about it.

1:1 crop

Full picture

Edited by jmahto

I had similar line showing up in many but not all photos on an M262 that I got as certified preowned. Since Photoshop was not part of my regular workflow, dealing with healing tool to fix it was a bit of a chore, but it was doable. I ultimately ended up returning the camera. My current M240 (older than M262 I had) hans't exhibited this type of line even at high ISO (tried only up to ISO 2500). If your workflow can fix this easily and everything else is good, maybe you can wait till the camera needs other work, then ask Leica to map it out when you send it in?

I had the same line show up on some of my images on my M240. I did a bunch of tests with different lenses, ISO settings and memory cards. It seemed to show up on higher ISO settings for me on only one memory card. I tossed the card and bought a new one and did a firmware update. Never seen the line again.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look here at something similar, though not exactly the same: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265660-linestripe-on-m262-sensor/?fromsearch=1

I gave up after getting a 'not interested' vibe from Leica UK and no response from Leica Germany.

Got an M10 now and am more happy with it than with the M262. Primarily the better viewfinder and the frameline preview make it nicer to use... and there's no line on the sensor!

Edited by PCPix

Many thanks for all the help, suggestions and advice from those who posted. I discussed the issue with Red Dot in London, who I purchased the camera from. A probable 're-mapping' was the outcome. The camera has been returned to Leica HQ & as it turns out the camera is still within the guarantee, I was unsure as I had purchased it second-hand from Red Dot. It has been with Leica for two weeks now, probable another month lies ahead  :wacko:

As I was running the latest firmware, had changed the SD cards, tried various ISO settings I felt this was my only option. It wasn't bothering me for 'busy' pictures, street scenes & inside shots but when I had to print a large file with 'big skies' it was very noticeable. 

Hopefully Leica HQ will resolve the issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Jimmie 

• 4 weeks later...

Just as quick note to those who gave advice & help through his forum in my recent issues with my M262. My camera has arrived back here in Ireland from Leica, a 3 1/2 week turnaround. All working well again. Nothin g from Leica to indicate what the issue was but I will assume Red Dot's 'pixel mapping' was correct. 

Again, thanks for the advice & patience. 

• Like 1

Just as quick note to those who gave advice & help through his forum in my recent issues with my M262. My camera has arrived back here in Ireland from Leica, a 3 1/2 week turnaround. All working well again. Nothin g from Leica to indicate what the issue was but I will assume Red Dot's 'pixel mapping' was correct.

Again, thanks for the advice & patience.

J

Was it under warranty?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...