SF40 Flash with slow and/or high shutter speed...

alainD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does this work in P mode with auto ISO, with minimum shutter speed set as a parameter to auto ISO?

I tried, and the CL automatically set the shutter speed to 1/60s... It works in full manual mode, though...

I did set the camera to use flash slow sync...

I read both the camera manual and the SF40 one, it is not clear to me how this works...

Alain

I'm not certain exactly what you are trying to test... Whether HSS works with the CL and SF40?  Or whether the auto auto ISO works properly with the SF40 on the body?  Or whether it will drop the shutter speed below the value set in auto ISO when flash slow sync is enabled since the flash will "freeze" the main subject?  What were you trying to check?

I'm not certain exactly what you are trying to test... Whether HSS works with the CL and SF40?  Or whether the auto auto ISO works properly with the SF40 on the body?  Or whether it will drop the shutter speed below the value set in auto ISO when flash slow sync is enabled since the flash will "freeze" the main subject?  What were you trying to check?

I'm trying to understand how to use the flash in Program mode two circumstances:

1) low light, flash for fill-in. Camera is set on P, auto-ISO, minimum shutter speed 1/30s. I would like the flash to add a bit of fill, TTL -1

2) outdoors. Flash used to overpower the sun. I want to use HSS in P mode, with auto-ISO and minimum speed set to 1/500, exposure compensation to -1EV, TTL to +1

Is this possible at all or should I revert to manual mode? When I tried it yesterday, the camera set itself to 1/60s as soon as I turned the flash on...

Alain.

Got it.  I don't have my flash with me right now so can't check.  I'll try to remember to test it out tonight.

In general, my experience with Leica flash units and auto ISO has been poor.  I have had much better luck getting the results I wanted with manual ISO, regardless of whether I am using 'P' or manual exposure.  I'll try out your scenarios, though.

I'm trying to understand how to use the flash in Program mode two circumstances:

1) low light, flash for fill-in. Camera is set on P, auto-ISO, minimum shutter speed 1/30s. I would like the flash to add a bit of fill, TTL -1

2) outdoors. Flash used to overpower the sun. I want to use HSS in P mode, with auto-ISO and minimum speed set to 1/500, exposure compensation to -1EV, TTL to +1

Is this possible at all or should I revert to manual mode? When I tried it yesterday, the camera set itself to 1/60s as soon as I turned the flash on...

Alain.

Salut Alain

why don't you just use the Manual (M) or Shutter Speed priority (S) mode? This way you can tell the CL what you want. HSS works with the CL and the SF40, btw.

OK, I tried mine out last night.  I got the same result as you. Couldn't get it to drop below 1/60s even with slow speed sync set as long as Auto ISO was turned on. Honestly, though, I would probably not recommend using the camera/flash combo the way you are describing even if it worked properly.  It's going to be harder and require more button pushes to get the control I expect you want over both foreground and background exposure if you have the camera in 'P' mode with auto ISO turned on. And the SF40 has a very limited range, so close consideration needs to be given to aperture and ISO just to make sure you stay within range.  

If you are trying to overpower the Sun and need HSS to do that, presumably you want a darkened background.  Otherwise, you are really just looking for fill flash. If you just set a minimum shutter speed in the Auto ISO setting of 1/500s, the camera is going to pump up the ISO till you get a good exposure on the background.  I doubt that's why you are looking for.  I suppose you could address that by setting overall exposure compensation, but it's not exactly intuitive, and you are certainly not using the Auto ISO minimum shutter speed the way it was intended.  Instead, I'd recommend just setting the ISO and exposure manually for the background brightness you want, and then let the HSS do its thing for the foreground exposure.  Keep in mind the SF40 is going to have an even more limited range with HSS as it's not a particularly powerful flash, and HSS requires multiple flashes at a fraction of full power.

Same basic problem for fill flash.  With Auto ISO turned on you may not get the results you want.  I have had much better luck with Leica cameras and flashes when I turn off auto ISO, pick the exposure and ISO that will give me the overall exposure I want, then pick the flash compensation that will soften and fill shadows without looking unnatural.  Frankly, Leica's flash algorithms just aren't all that sophisticated.  In almost every situation--whether with off-camera flashes or with on-camera TTL--I have done better with the camera in manual mode.  It's not a Canikon, and it's just not going to act like one.  

Oh, one other thing to keep in mind... If you are in manual mode (unlike any of the automatic modes) you have the additional benefit of toggling off/on the exposure preview.  With wireless triggers this is an absolute necessity or you won't be able to compose and focus.  Doesn't matter as much with the SF40 on the camera, of course, but it can still be helpful to go back and forth if you are trying to understand what your overall exposure will look like vs. your background exposure.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you, Jared ,for trying this and reporting.

I've moved to Auto-ISO a number of years ago and it just made my life so much easier... hard to come back.

Yes, the way I envisioned this to work is to use exposure compensation to get the background to look the way I want and use the control on the additional flash to add the light where it is needed. Seems pretty intuitive to me...

Now, you are correct, this may require a flash that is much more powerful than the SF40. I have a bunch of Godox lights I can trigger remotely for that...

I'll try manual ISO and see how it works...A

Thank you again

Alain.

• 2 weeks later...
 In the CL manual, it says third party flash with “ positive center connection” are compatible with CL. Therefore, for those of us who are looking for a third party flash, we should see which flash or adapter/converter have a positive center connection.... 

I am sure many of us would be grateful if someone finds the answer.  :)

That would be about all flashes in existence...

This is what I thought when I read on page 59 of the PDF Manual:

Other commercially available ash units with a standard ash foot and positive center contact1 (X contact) can also be used... 

I am using flash only very rarely and have little experience in flashes, but I believe it is important to have one for some special conditions (even that little camera flash on T served me greatly! ) . I do have a Metz and a Nikon flash, and thinking like did you above, I was wondering why, then, non of them is  working with CL!!! ....  As I am not using flash often, I think the price of SF40 and SF26 are crazy. Therefore, I would be very happy to find a third party that would work on CL... Even an adapter/converter would be great...

Edited by Louis

In the CL manual, it says third party flash with “ positive center connection” are compatible with CL. Therefore, for those of us who are looking for a third party flash, we should see which flash or adapter/converter have a positive center connection.... 

I am sure many of us would be grateful if someone finds the answer.  :)

What exactly do you want to do? It is true that all (my) flashes work with the CL. Only two work with TTL automation and camera communication, though, which is, an SF40 and a Metz 54i with a Leica foot. The SF24 works in manual mode and auto (flash determines exposure). The amazing Metz 54i in has got and auto mode addition to manual and TTL.

Size wise it has to be the SF40 or the SF24. The latter is even more compact and uses Lithium batteries rather than AA rechargeables. Again - only in M and Flash Auto mode. I cannot recall whether the ISO number/aperture is transferred to the SF24. I have a number of other flashes which work in manual mode. That is perfect for planned setups and ok'ish if you know your parameters (something like ISO 800 + Night + f4 + 1.5m distance requires 1/8th of power)

• Like 1

This is what I thought when I read on page 59 of the PDF Manual:

Other commercially available ash units with a standard ash foot and positive center contact1 (X contact) can also be used... 

I am using flash only very rarely and have little experience in flashes, but I believe it is important to have one for some special conditions (even that little camera flash on T served me greatly! ) . I do have a Metz and a Nikon flash, and thinking like did you above, I was wondering why, then, non of them is  working with CL!!! ....  As I am not using flash often, I think the price of SF40 and SF26 are crazy. Therefore, I would be very happy to find a third party that would work on CL... Even an adapter/converter would be great...

SCA type flashes work well, either with 343, 351 or 3502 adapter.

• Like 1