I posted this on the M10 area but I'd like to let SL observers see it.

WillB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can definitely get very good B/W results out of a color sensor.

For me, the main benefit of the 246 is the resulting improvement in low-light performance. The 246 is almost in A7S territory--noisier, but also better-looking noise.

I'd been waiting a very long time for a Leica I could use in every last lighting scenario I could think of using my beloved Crons. 246 fulfilled that wish, and despite its imperfections, I can't ever see myself using something else as my primary camera.

One of the points of the SL is that it is optimized for the use of M lenses as well, as opposed to other brand mirrorless cameras.

There are many M lenses that cover areas of use that are not catered for by the native SL lenses.

• Like 1

I'm with jaapv. Using M lenses on the SL is a joy. I'm waiting for more depreciation on the SL, but would love to have one.

Given the obsolescence of the rangefinder (it's a great mechanism, but that doesn't mean it's contemporary), I think you could make a very sound argument that very accurate focus peaking and a well-tuned punch-in focus system on an excellent electronic viewfinder is the best way to use MF lenses. For me, the main reason not to do that in the past has been that when I really take a close look at the resulting files, M glass on a non-native system just doesn't give me the performance I paid for when I invested in Leica lenses.

On the SL, that was very clearly not a problem. It was a really wonderful breath of fresh air to finally have genuinely contemporary MF assist mechanisms available to use with my M glass without having to worry about IQ problems as a result.

I have zero desire to own the SL glass, but will happily buy an SL body once it depreciates enough on the used market.

focus peaking on the SL is not very accurate...just gets one in the ballpark range.

but yes M lenses and other MF lenses are great to use on the SL.

very accurate focus peaking and a well-tuned punch-in focus system on an excellent electronic viewfinder is the best way to use MF lenses.

On the SL, that was very clearly not a problem. It was a really wonderful breath of fresh air to finally have genuinely contemporary MF assist mechanisms available to use with my M glass without having to worry about IQ problems as a result.

I have zero desire to own the SL glass, but will happily buy an SL body once it depreciates enough on the used market.

Not really; nobody is forcing you to use M lenses. There is nothing wrong with the SL lenses, they give superb results.

Having the possibility to use M lenses (or any other lenses BTW) is a very nice extra option that you don't have on your Canon. So it would be more than a replacement.

The EVF is good enough to be fully functional without focus peaking BTW.

And about SL again: what uses of lenses M on it, if I have to go on manual mode? While with M10 I have better comfort to do the same.

The full use of SL should be SL lenses... is that so?

My experience of using the SL for 24mths almost exclusively on 24-90, 90-280 and recently the APO-SL75 has been satisfying & pleasurable.

Only on occations did I use my 0.95Noctilux on my SL. I believe now with my APO-SL75, I'll use the Noctilux less on my SL.

There are many concerns in this forum over the size and weight of SL native lenses and rather use M & R lenses on the SL as a manual focus camera.

however my positive experience over the convenience of Zooms and AF more than compensates the additional weight and bulk I have to bear over my M10.  

• 4 months later...

Finally my big problem is settled : I married my M10 with the last Monochrome and for the moment forget the SL (too heavy for me), Canon as well! Thank you Leica M - I feel better ! The tests I made in Istanbul - completely satisfied.

Just one question: if you could help me to choose the best 50mm to mach the Monochrome and M10. I have actually Summicron 2/50 Leitz Type 4. The Noctilux being too expensive for my purse.

Thanks in advance.

Just stick with your Summicron. It is a wonderful lens. In my experience older lenses render better than more modern ones on the Monochrom, and this one will shine on the M10 as well.

• Like 1

I've also both cameras but only a set  of manual M lenses. Not any of SL lenses. Till now all was OK because the quality of M lenses was unbeatable..

But I`m smelling that something is changing and the new prime SL lenses begin to be far better than M ones and they can't be used in M 10. The SL camera is versatile not the M 10 .I'm afraid our pockets will not bear with that duality. May be M 10 will lose the battle if our investments fall in the SL side. :(

Francisco

Francisco, we have to experience the SL to know better what we want. I smell the same thing but it is only a smell.

I need more and more simplicity and of course  quality!! To use SL only with M lenses is not enough if not we have to buy the heavy and expensive SL lenses - too much heavy and expensive...

Ivan, many of the Leica fans as me are obsessed followers of quality, simplicity and not too much bulky equipment, by this order. I ask myself if all of us will  end as slaves of the quality and resigning to the detriment of charge heavy things. I'm content to keep the simplicity of the menus and not be worried by so tediously decisions before  have finished the settings of my cameras....

Francisco

The results justify everything - the efforts when we photographe and the price. The only thing - with the age I can spend more time to shut (good for the M), prefer the discretion and not heavy boxes on my shoulders ... Despite all SL is tempting - as Francisco is saying SL lenses smells better even than M...