Light leak or lab/dev problem:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just reorganized some old film and noticed this issue on this roll.

At first I thought it's just flare but it leaks outside of the frame into the next picture.
I also noticed that it's reaching above and below the frame and that its towards the end of the roll. Is it possible that this is a light leak through the film cassette?

Someone suggested it might have been me changing the lens in daylight with light hitting the shutter curtain.

I just can't explain how 1.5 frames are exposed with this leak but before and after nothing else is.

the light leak also doesn't reach the sprocket holes,  meaning it wasn't me opening the camera. (I know what those light leaks look like ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The "featheriness" or "threadiness" of the leak as seen between the frames suggests a leak through the cassette's felt "lips".

However, normally the final frames (35-36) are the ones deepest inside the cassette, closest to the spool, and thus farthest from the lips. Unless this film was bulk-loaded.

A couple of questions: Did you bulk-load this film (or buy it bulk-loaded at a discount)? If yes, which type of loader? Some bulk-loaders also have felt light-traps that could leak.

You can get leaks, esp. with an older Leica (pre-M6), when changing lenses in bright light, but usually, those leaks come up or down from the bottom or top of the picture when the camera's light-traps, between which the shutter curtains travel, are worn out.

The feathery nature of the leak suggests to me an 'out of camera experience'. But there also appears to be some mottling and streaks coming up in frame 37, it would be good to see frames 34 and 37 as a true before and after sequence.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The "featheriness" or "threadiness" of the leak as seen between the frames suggests a leak through the cassette's felt "lips".

However, normally the final frames (35-36) are the ones deepest inside the cassette, closest to the spool, and thus farthest from the lips. Unless this film was bulk-loaded.

A couple of questions: Did you bulk-load this film (or buy it bulk-loaded at a discount)? If yes, which type of loader? Some bulk-loaders also have felt light-traps that could leak.

You can get leaks, esp. with an older Leica (pre-M6), when changing lenses in bright light, but usually, those leaks come up or down from the bottom or top of the picture when the camera's light-traps, between which the shutter curtains travel, are worn out.

the camera is an MP with a 35mm v4 Summicron. I've never seen anything like this before. The film was not bulk-loaded. Factory packaged Provia 400X from Fujifilm. 

I can take another picture of the other frames but they are all clean. No light leaks whatsoever. 

I also agree that a cassette leak is unlikely since frame 36 is all the way deep inside, close to the spool.

I wonder if this was a problem at the manufactures side.

I wonder if it is a bit of tape that got stuck to the film during processing? Near the end of the roll, didn't get peeled off properly when the film was loaded for processing, what looks like light rays is just uneven development?