Possible dead pixel? Please advise!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve just bought a used Leica Q, and I’m not sure if I have a dead pixel or not.

Dropbox link containing uncropped photos, some where I can see a dead pixel, some where I couldn’t find it, and one showing the anomaly from the EVF.

Could someone please advise as I am not sure what the problem is. My guess is that the EVF has a dead pixel, and the sensor dead pixel is a separate issue (But that doesn’t explain why it is in some photos but not others). I don’t think it is a lens imperfection, as it seems to show up at different apertures.

(Mods please delete if not allowed in this thread)

Thanks for the help!

I'm going to suggest it's more likely to be dirt on the sensor than a dead pixel. That dirt may not be fix on the sensor but may move around. I would take it to an AD with the SD card on which you took the shots and let them look at both the camera and the images for a proper diagnosis.

Not a lens issue. I am not sure I agree about dirt. In all cases where I have had dust spots on my Fuji and Nikon it has shown as grey not white. Moreover there is a square shape to the white spot which suggests dead pixel. I had a similar problem with my X-PRO2 and when in Photoshop I enlarged the image by several hundred percent to pixel level view the white 'blob' was clearly seen as relating to a single pixel. As to its intermittent nature are you sure that is not just difficulty in finding it on a lighter coloured area in the image? I don't know enough about the technology to know whether you can get intermittent dead pixels. If it is only one you can always spot out in post but there is a possibility that more might develop. My Fuji ended up with a few but even so I didn't find it a big issue.

Thanks for the help guys. I've had the pictures reviewed by two Leica employees and they both suggested I make a warranty claim, fairly certain that it was a dead pixel. It's really frustrating,I only got the camera a couple days prior and now I have to send it away. I personally don't even care too much about a dead pixel, as yes they can easily be fixed in post with a spot removal. But it is still under warranty so I might as well

Thanks for the help guys. I've had the pictures reviewed by two Leica employees and they both suggested I make a warranty claim, fairly certain that it was a dead pixel. It's really frustrating,I only got the camera a couple days prior and now I have to send it away. I personally don't even care too much about a dead pixel, as yes they can easily be fixed in post with a spot removal. But it is still under warranty so I might as well

A shame but as it is under warranty it does make sense - you never know if it might get worse.

I also hope they can handle it in Oz rather than sending it to Germany.

The camera will be sent to Camera Clinic in Melbourne for repair, as they are the only certified repaired in Aus. My leica contact assured me that a pixel remapping and a evf replacement can be done in Australia, however the evf will most likely have to be sent over from Germany.

• Like 1