Leica SL2 Specifications

sillbeers15

"Sensor-shift IS systems operate by ‘floating’ the sensor using a series of electromagnets. Even when they’re ‘off’ they’re not locked in place, they’re simply set so that the electromagnets aren’t attempting to correct for movement. This has the side-effect that, which mounted on a professional stabilization rig, there’s a risk of the sensor being shaken around."

(This is in regard of video btw)

LD_50, I hope IBIS wouldn't affect AF, low light performance (shouldn't when switched off) and vignetting. But I don't believe it wouldn't affect any of price / size / noise / vignette / AF.

Year, "redefining" AF was a very positive note. They redefined Leica's AF ;) But nonetheless, the AF was very, very good for that moment. Now it's falling behind.

The IQ degradation that could supposedly be found with IBIS cameras could also apply to OIS lenses. I believe these concerns have been raised with some Nikon VR lenses in the past. I have seen strange behavior with IS enabled but not ever when disabled in either IBIS or OIS systems.

Check out the huge number of photos available from IBIS equipped cameras and you likely won’t find a problem.

I still don’t understand the speculation that IBIS would affect “low light performance” or AF. What technically are you referring to?

When the SL was announced, the AF was already behind the competition. It hasn’t caught up. It’s not bad in my opinion, but certainly not competitive with the best available elsewhere for speed or tracking or low light acquisition. It’s very accurate when it locks on what you want, as good as any CDAF system I’ve tried. The AF points though are very large so I often have to check and adjust manually.

• Like 1

Right, but at some point they are going to make an SL2 and they do keep an eye on this forum.  I think it's a near-perfect camera as is.  A couple of tweaks wouldn't hurt

True, but most of what's asked for here is of no interest, one way or the other.  24MP suits me fine; when Leica decides that there is a good reason for more MP, they'll include it and I probably won't notice (see Greg above); IBIS? not really.  More DR, definitely.  Changes to the camera?  Not really.

The thing is, the system is the lenses.  The camera is a sensor holder, with functionality being the key.  I like the functionality of the SL.  Is there a change I'm holding out for?  Not really.  Gordon's need for better flash is not something I'd notice - I dusted off my SF-40 the other day, and to my surprise it doesn't work at all.  Hadn't noticed.

No doubt the SL2 will come some time (not soon, considering how long it takes Leica to release a new camera) and it will be shiny and do new things, or not - more likely it will be incremental (see changes to the M system).  I will continue happily using my SL - photography is 90% composition (that's framing and aperture selection), timing and the rest really doesn't matter that much ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 4

I'm thinking more what does Leica need to do to improve as a business (attract new users, invest more in R&D, come out with better products), not necessarily offer more features that some of the current users don't need/want. The SL lenses far outresolve the SL sensor so it's only natural that the SL2 sensor should come with more resolution when the technology is there not to sacrifice DR and high ISO performance. Why leave all the fun to the Sony users with those G Master-I'm-a-bit-soft-wide-open lenses?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would not want to talk about sensor resolution upgrade and in camera Stabalization as many of you talked about and the technology maturality and availability will drive Leica to upgrade as Leica uses these components supplied by suppliers and integrate them into its own circuitry design.

I would I turn like to provide user feedback to Leica on the lack of solution to Leica users on applying wireless TTL/HSS trigger on lighting. I know that many users would think that you do not use additional lighting most of the time. But let me assure you the equal frustration when you occasionally need to use it and discovered that Leica digital cameras are only as good as the other brands of digital cameras in the 90s in terms of applying fill in light on photograph. I would even come to the point of feeling embarrassed for using Leica.

• Like 1

One of Leica's great hopes in launching the SL was to sell it to wedding and event photographers; those who have taken it up praise its capabilities for this with the native zooms in particular. I suspect one intention of launching the 75 and 90 SL primes (and Thambar and Noctilux-M 75?) is to start drawing in serious portrait photographers as well. The absence of a real flash system is going to hamstring all their efforts here. That would be my main wish for the SL2: a body that can control (not just trigger) off camera flash, preferably a third party system such as Profoto's, but the ability to work with Nikon or Canon systems would do. Buying in a random flash from Metz or Nissin and stopping them working with any other system just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 3

IBIS and bette C-AF also would be my main wishes.

Otherwise I hope there will not be too much change. I hope they keep the 4-button menue in the new version, I prefer it much over the 3 button system of CL and M10.

One thing I am very happy about: The SL as it is is already a very competent camera. With the smaller lenses it will become even better as a system. I find for some things the native lenses too big, but the new Summicrons look good.

• 7 months later...

Leica will also have to have regard to the wider market: the current Sony / Nikon / Canon full frame $2000 cameras have arguably better sensors, and one or more of better af / eye detection and ibis and better flash systems, which are all features that I would value. The SL has dual card slots and GPS. The Nikon / Canon pro cameras — to come — will need to catch up with the Sony AF and have dual card slots. At which point the SL will be a tougher sell, particularly if the Fuji / Hasselblad large sensor lines continue to improve.

I want the option to compress DNG files in camera, like the M9 and M240 have. 

And for video it would be nice to have a dedicated jack input which doesn't use the same line-in as the remote does. Now I can't use a microphone and use the remote (attached to my rig, so I have quick access to start-stop button) at the same time. 

IQ wise, I'm perfectly satisfied with the current SL.

It might be a quicker/snappier with start-up and with some buttons.

• Like 3

Leica will also have to have regard to the wider market: the current Sony / Nikon / Canon full frame $2000 cameras have arguably better sensors, and one or more of better af / eye detection and ibis and better flash systems, which are all features that I would value. The SL has dual card slots and GPS. The Nikon / Canon pro cameras — to come — will need to catch up with the Sony AF and have dual card slots. At which point the SL will be a tougher sell, particularly if the Fuji / Hasselblad large sensor lines continue to improve.

When have Leica ever had any regard for the wider market? Leica do things their own way and for now it's been very successful (their profit is increasing).

If we can't even get LENR as optional then I see little hope for Leica to worry about anything else others do.

Gordon

• Like 4

Leica just cannot use other mass manufacturer as their yardstick of measure for what will sell for Leica. That's playing to the strengths of others.

While I wish for personal reasons they will move faster, objectively speaking my belief is that they are already moving at a pretty breakneck pace for such a small company. They're punting to their future not ours although we are a very necessary part of it. We validate their bet. They cannot afford non recoverable failures.

Canon took more than a couple of decades to convince my generation of photographers to loosen their grip on Nikon, so I consider that a reality of the market I'm in. And most of them are still came back to be Nikon users  :D

It's the new users that will change status quo.

Edited by lx1713
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The form factor: a body without a viewfinder hump would be great. Also, less height for the SL width. One advantage of the loosely named "rangefinder form factor" is that many people don't recognize a professional camera when they see it. Another is that some of us like to hold the camera with both hands rather than cradle the lens with the left hand.

You can tell these remarks are from someone who would mainly use M lenses. So,

Manual focus: In addition to magnification, it should be possible to have an electronic rangefinder focus method. Perhaps a small additional sensor where an M camera has its rangefinder window. It would overlay the main EVF image (on demand, of course). It could be crude, just so the user can match edges for focus.

Too late to affect an SL2. Maybe there will be an SL2R after that.

I’d like Leica to offer two versions of the next SL, a 24 MPx and 47 MPx body, both with no OLPF. Before the L-mount alliance this was totally unrealistic, they wouldn’t have had the resources. Now it may become a reality. Depending on the scene one is shooting larger pixels are better. 

Am 23.1.2018 um 10:19 schrieb Chaemono:

A function of processor speed and RAM and given the upgrade cycle for PCs in three to four years’ time the majority out there should be equiped with enough of both to process the files smoothly. Leica can’t stand still on sensor resolution when the technology is there and the SL lenses far outresolve the current SL sensor. It’s the opposite for Sony, of course. The α7R II sensor far outresolves available lenses, except for the Otus, and therefore they can stand still with the α7R III and use the same sensor.

This is a common misunderstanding:  There is no such thing like a bottleneck in the pairing of sensor and lenses. Both interact. Thus, good lenses profit from good sensors, but so do bad lenses.

• Thanks 1