Professional Black Paint Leica Vintage Summarit 1.5/50

michaelbrenner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello All,

I have a vintage 1956 Leica 1.5/50 Summarit-LTM that is in mint condition.  I am considering getting it professionally painted - black paint with red and/or white and/or gold markings.  It is truly a gem of a lens so I don't want to take any chances as far as it getting damaged or ruined.  I admit it's a bit of a vanity thing.  There is nothing wrong with the lens.  I just think a black paint version would be really cool to have.  It would be a working lens.  I would take it with me wherever I go.  Also, I suppose I would probably would have to get the metal lens cover painted to match and maybe the LTM/M adapter as well.  I use it on a Leica M 240, and the results have been very rewarding.

Any suggestions on how to go about this?  Any recommendations on who would do a good, professional job?  Any recommendations on the color scheme?  Of course the main color would be black.  But how about the numerals, labeling and markings?  I'm' thinking some combination of red, white, gold?  I'm thinking subdued, classic and understated, nothing gaudy.  Also, it needs to be a working man's lens.  The numbers need to be high contrast and readable under low light.

Any idea what this would cost or who could do it or how long it would take to do?  I suppose the painter would have to disassemble the lens and hand paint each piece.  Is this possible or would it wreck the lens?

Thanks - of course if I get it painted I would be hard-pressed to part with it... 8-)

It is the best Summarit I've come across, which is why I'm kicking around the idea of getting it done in black paint.  I use it on an M 240 and think it would really look good in black paint on that M.  Of course there is no practical reasoning behind this thinking, just a desire to spruce it up a bit.  But, if I do it, it has to be a first rate job, high quality, and not impact the lens' performance.

Edited by michaelbrenner

I'm leaning towards black with white markings.  That seems to be the highest contrast and would match other Leica lenses such as the 50 APO.  Of course gold inlay would be over the top.  I admit if I could find someone who could do such work I would be seriously tempted...

I'm leaning towards black with white markings.  That seems to be the highest contrast and would match other Leica lenses such as the 50 APO.  Of course gold inlay would be over the top.  I admit if I could find someone who could do such work I would be seriously tempted...

If I am to repaint it black, I would be yellow markings.

Yellow stands out better than white in my opinion, and white does fade into ivory white, losing its original contrast property.

Just how I would do it.  You decide.

• Like 1