Leica S or Phase One

Ruz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys, I've been a Leica User for quite sometimes, I've been using the Leica C, T, TL2, SL, M and I love the all! They all have a great IQ and they all perform above the "Megapixel" Written on the system due to the excellent Lens Quality. Now I'm planning to work my way to medium format. Been thinking about getting the Leica S for sometimes due to the Lens that are superb, but I've been considering the Phase One with the IQ160/280. I'm looking for your opinions to help me consider the best system for me.

Thanks!

I ADORED the IQ160 with Cambo and SK lenses. But I never used it outside photo workshops. I haven't tried the XF/IQ3100/SK combo because I know I'd never use it. (Picked it up, laughed, and put it down.) The S is the perfect compromise. I'm always happy to carry it and any of its lenses (I have all of them except the 30 and the 180).

I have an interesting series of TL2+35/1.4, SL+50/2 (the M summicron, pre-APO) , and S+70/2.5. The TL2 and the SL look identical. I mean, pixel-identical. The S is a different smoothness of bokeh (and has the extra pixels).

I'd rather have the output from the bigger Phase One sensors, but the camera you like using is the one you will take, and I LOVE the S.

Best,

Matt

I ADORED the IQ160 with Cambo and SK lenses. But I never used it outside photo workshops. I haven't tried the XF/IQ3100/SK combo because I know I'd never use it. (Picked it up, laughed, and put it down.) The S is the perfect compromise. I'm always happy to carry it and any of its lenses (I have all of them except the 30 and the 180).

I have an interesting series of TL2+35/1.4, SL+50/2 (the M summicron, pre-APO) , and S+70/2.5. The TL2 and the SL look identical. I mean, pixel-identical. The S is a different smoothness of bokeh (and has the extra pixels).

I'd rather have the output from the bigger Phase One sensors, but the camera you like using is the one you will take, and I LOVE the S.

Best,

Matt

Hi Matt, I'm actually looking for a studio work only, as I will still use my SL, M and TL2 for travelling purpose or Outdoor shooting! its superb as I really love the IQ's on these 3 cameras. Reading on your opinion for this it looks like you dont like the Phase one due to its size?

A lot my colleagues lament about the bad software/firmware of PhaseOne bodys. They have to reboot their cameras frequently. A lot of them would love to move over to Leica if there was higher resolution.

• Like 1

A lot my colleagues lament about the bad software/firmware of PhaseOne bodys. They have to reboot their cameras frequently. A lot of them would love to move over to Leica if there was higher resolution.

Yes, this is the only thing. Tried the lenses from schneider and they can’t fight leica in the sharpness of the lens (in my opinion)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That´s not only your opinion. A 36MP-file with a good lens has higher resolution than a 60MP-file shot with a not so good lens. That´s the reason why I switched from Nikon D810 to Leica SL - the Leica files are better because of the lens.

@Ruz: I sent you a PM?

• Like 3

Having used both, I can tell you that the PhaseOne is an awkward, clumsy camera with a terrible interface. The S is light and quick and intuitive, especially if you are already familiar with Leica's UI.

What PhaseOne has going for it is the availability of high-resolution backs, adaptability to view cameras, and access to CaptureOne software. Depending where you live, they may also offer better support.

It really comes down to what you need. I know that for my type of work, which requires portability, speed, and the ability to work in all kinds of weather, the S is a better choice.

If you are just in the studio, and need higher pixel counts, then P1 (or Hasselblad) may be better for you. It's a personal choice.

Blue ring SK lens built to higher tolerance and up to Leica price is up to if not better than Leica Standard. But never do like their ergonomics.

I concur. The newest SK lenses are very good. I cannot say the same about the older Mamiya lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The image quality from the 160 and 180 is on another level. The cameras are bigger and the ISO on these are limited. You do have sensor+ mode for a clean ISO 800 but it drops the pixel count to 15 on the 60MP back and 20 on the 80MP back. I would also recommend taking a look at the 150 which is around the same price - the higher ISO makes it more usable.

Edited by Paul J

If you buy a Phase you will use it in studio and you will be happy.

If you buy an S you will use it in studio and also out of studio and you will love it.

Gordon

Gordon,

That is EXACTLY right!

Matt 

(well, I know photogs who carry Phase stuff in their SUV and travel the country happily)

Edited by mgrayson3

Depending on what you shoot. If you shoot portraits, then Leica S is better. If you shoot landscapes, then IQ3 is better (significantly). If you just shoot and do not print, then take whatever is cheaper and more comfortable to use.

Im shifting to more of studio works for Fashion shoots and commercial. was thinking that It will be an advantage to get a higher megapixel since I'm aiming for clients that will print them in a very big size. 

Correct me if I'm wrong about this opinion.

Im shifting to more of studio works for Fashion shoots and commercial. was thinking that It will be an advantage to get a higher megapixel since I'm aiming for clients that will print them in a very big size. 

Printing definitely go for higher pixel count, it shows difference.

Printing a IQ3 100mp to 3m wide is simple and easy....

Th

Printing definitely go for higher pixel count, it shows difference.

Printing a IQ3 100mp to 3m wide is simple and easy..

true, but its out of my budget ahahahhah!

Currently my budget is around IQ160 / 180 / 350

Yes and No. It depends on a few things.

Yes, pixel count can help make a fashion picture look better. It certainly prints bigger and better, it is much better to retouch too. The colour, Dynamic range and malleability of these cameras is also on another level. Decent clients can see medium format quality and it makes a difference if you are shooting with one purely on a perception level - ie. it is to some more impressive.

But does it suit your style? Pretty much the main thing that will attract a decent client is your actual work and it's contents, your style and point of view. You are far better off, in the beginning, spending it on studio time, spending it on set, props, locations etc. The best camera in the world won't get you work on its own, even if your work is ok. Medium Format Digital is overkill the beginning and it's not going to make much difference. A Nikon D850 is more than enough to start with.

But if you've already got that bit underway then by all means go for it.

Phase One is pretty much a standard in the industry for Medium Format, Capture One has a lot to do with that. The S works with Capture One, but not as well as Phase One. Also bear in mind that film is still very much "in fashion" and still not going away and growing by the day.

If you do want Medium Format, I would recommend looking at the IQ 50 range. I have had a P65+ (same sensor as IQ160) for a very long time, it covers most things, but I rent the CMOS backs occasionally because the high iso makes a difference, even in the studio. Even if you think you're just going to use flash, then you might be surprised - fashion changes a lot and you need to be adaptable. There is also a big difference in crew, logistics, expense, time, speed, studio size, etc etc etc in using 600w instead of 4K HMI/Tungsten. in using a camera that doesn't always need a tripod etc.

The S is very compelling too. It's just hard to get a picture of it's future and reliability etc. If you have time to wait - do. Soon the 50 backs will be replaced with 100 backs and prices on everything else will come down. Also there will be a new S and a better view of what Leica have got in mind.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

Th

true, but its out of my budget ahahahhah!

Currently my budget is around IQ160 / 180 / 350

Any particular reason why you'd want to get Phase One and not Hasselblad or Fuji? I think Hasselblad and Fuji lenses are more pleasant for portraits than Phase One lenses.