Light leak from stacked adapter+extender joints?

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed this which looks like light leak from stacked joints. I was using M240+M2Radapter+2XAPO+180APO3.4. Including lens mount, there are three joints. Light was from high left.

What is surprising is that shutterspeed is not that slow. It is 1/350 and 1/750 respectively. I remember a discussion of light leak from M lens mount for multi second exposure but not at this fast speed. I will do experiment some other time to find out which joint is the culprit.

Has anyone experienced it? Or is my assumption correct that it is a light leak?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Something as simple as a hair band wrapped around the mount should solve this? That’s a very heavy lens setup so I think you are right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but my surprise is that it is not a slow shutterspeed. It means there was a considerable light getting through. More tests are needed but it is raining and overcast for few days.

My current hunch is that the sun was hitting at exact light angle to the mount. This is the first time I have noticed it on this lens+body setup.

Camera on tripod, lens cap on, flash on cord, camera on manual, shutter at max sync speed.  Point flash perpendicular to the lens, take series of shots around the perimeter.  If you don't see reflection in the files, then it was not due to a joint leak.  If do still see a reflection, gaffer-tape the front-most joint and repeat the test.  If you don't see a reflection, that was the culprit.  If you do still see the reflection, add tape to the second joint and repeat.  If you still see it, it's the joint at the body mount. 

• Like 1

Camera on tripod, lens cap on, flash on cord, camera on manual, shutter at max sync speed.  Point flash perpendicular to the lens, take series of shots around the perimeter.  If you don't see reflection in the files, then it was not due to a joint leak.  If do still see a reflection, gaffer-tape the front-most joint and repeat the test.  If you don't see a reflection, that was the culprit.  If you do still see the reflection, add tape to the second joint and repeat.  If you still see it, it's the joint at the body mount. 

I will have to find a flash first to do the test. :) For me easier and practical test will be do a same setup in sunny light with approximately same direction of sunlight and see if I again see the artifact. That way I will know whether it affects (or not) my normal photography. Till then my assumption is that light was exactly parallel to the joint (rare coincidence). I will update this when I get to do the test.

• Like 1