M10 showing incorrect battery info

Rupert Greenwell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M10 will show that the battery charge level is 100% for most of the time. only dropping down to 70% before I get the "battery low change battery". A pattern has emerged, at first it would show 20% remaining before the warning, then 40%, 60% and now 70% charge remaining before the battery low warning.

I have tried another battery but no difference.  Battery life seems to be good but I now have no idea how much battery charge that I have left. I have been through all the battery related posts on the forum and cannot find anyone else having the same problem.

I am resigned to contacting my supplying dealer to have the camera repaired.  In the meantime if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

This is my third Leica camera in a row to develop a problem, both my Q and SL were both replaced with new bodies last year after developing faults, will the M10 make it three !!!  

I don‘t even care about the indicated percentage.

When you look at your photos on the display there is a little symbol on the top right to indicate the state of the battery with bars. Does this symbol also tell you that your battery is more than half filled when you get the warning?

To be honest when I have taken photos I have not noticed the battery state at the top of the screen, I only look out to see if I have clipped the highlights.  However when using the EVF the battery state is the same as indicated on the battery info. It now shows fully charged for most of the battery life.

When taking the camera with me I always first  check at what level the battery state is, if there is sufficient for what I intend doing I don't look at the battery state again.

Starting with a fully charged battery is fine but one has to keep the battery topped up after each time it has been used.  what is concerning me is that the problem has been gradually worsening, yes I may end up with a indicated 100% battery state and then low battery warning but will it start to affect other related parts of the camera. The camera still has warranty but what concerns me is that both my Q and SL were both deemed unrepairable and I was given new replacements. Just one button on the SL stopped functioning. What will happen when these camera bodies are out of warranty, I realise that I have been now very unlucky, I am especially careful when handling my Leicas .