Leica Q Color Matching With Panasonic GX8 + Nocti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone,

Received my Q earlier this week, and absolutely thrilled with it so far. I've not been so enthused to take photos as I have been when picking up this little gem. It renders beautifully and is pretty disarming to people, so I find I get a nice natural portrait. I'll be sure to publish some photos in the photo thread soon.

I wanted to share my efforts to align colors of the Q with my GX8 + the PL Notcticron. Since these two cameras render color very differently, it was definitely going to be necessary for work in which photos will be side-by-side (weddings mostly). I'm pretty happy with about an hour of work put in today -- some slight differences I'm not sure I'll be able to amend, but shouldn't be noticeable to most in regular shooting conditions.

Let me know what you think!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After color calibration + stylistic changes.

• Like 1

I also have cameras with differing color dynamics BUT I shoot raw with everything except phones. Upon import into Lightroom, the alignment to my preferences is easy. The color checker is quite valuable.

• Like 1

Would you be willing to explain a little of the process you used? Thanks

**EDIT** I should make note that the top image is the GX8 and the bottom is the Q. Though, that was probably easy to see due to focal lengths.

Sure thing! I used an X-Rite ColorChecker Classic card and downloaded the X-Rite software that comes with it, which is capable of automatically processing DNG files and creating a DNG profile for your camera (all very automated, and extremely user-friendly).

I took the photos in the exact same lighting (early morning sun), with similar settings (f-stop 2.8 & auto white balance) Once the DNG profile was created for the Leica Q & GX8, I opened Lightroom, and there was now the new profile under the "Calibration" tab (I can also have these set upon import to LR).

I lined both photos up side-by-side and began adjusting, as the updated camera profiles were now closer, but not an exact match due to WB and a multitude of other factors. I then began adjusting the HSL (hue, saturation, luminance) of each color of the Leica Q photo to better match the GX8 (pure preference).

Once I got both about the same, I applied my stylistic filter (LKO) and again adjusted colors to match as closely as I could.

One thing I found -- the GX8 and Q interpret white balance very differently, and this creates some complications from the start. I now have my custom profiles set to Auto WB and will adjust to my taste, should I need to.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the process!

Edited by seppling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated profiles. Very slight adjustments to the greens to be slightly more luminous and more cyan.

Q first:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

GX8: