An amateur meets the gentlemen's razor, aka the Summarit 90mm f2.4

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I have recently found the Summarits again!

A long time ago the 50mm f2.5 was my first lens, and what a terrific lens it was too. Sharp, constrasty, flare resistant etc.

I only upgraded because I wanted more light and went to 1.4 .....

Since then I haven't had any Summarits, but recently I wanted reasonably priced 75mm and 90mm lenses and bumped into the new 2.4 ones.

It was a mistake looking at them to be honest as I could have bought some 2.5s cheaper ....

Excellent construction and results. 

So a day out with the 90mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Quite nice for landscape. The 90mm flattens the scene

25930788768_26253717dd_b_d.jpg

Have to make sure there are no people between you are the target which is challenging with a 90mm

39771630842_f16687f317_b_d.jpg

Great for tight architecture

39771599382_bee3d0d395_b_d.jpg

Street shots need planning and a bit of patience

38904159755_3a77eeb490_b_d.jpg

So that was nice. Now I have to try and use it for what I bought it for, people and portraits ...

Edited by colonel
  • Like 6

@colonel,

You have created some very nice images and given a strong endorsement for the Summarit line of lenses.  My next M lens purchase is going to be the 50 Summarit f/2.4 as I need an all-around 50 to go with my f/1.0 Noctilux and 50/2.8 non-M Elmar.

I have read that the first Summarits - the f/2.5 line - were excellent optically but marginal in terms of build quality and durability.  I have held off on the 50/2.5 as a result, but I can find no negative comments or reviews on the build quality of the updated f/2.4 Summarits.

Your images give all of us reason to take a hard look at the f/2.4 Summarit lenses - thank you!

• Like 1

@colonel,

You have created some very nice images and given a strong endorsement for the Summarit line of lenses.  My next M lens purchase is going to be the 50 Summarit f/2.4 as I need an all-around 50 to go with my f/1.0 Noctilux and 50/2.8 non-M Elmar.

I have read that the first Summarits - the f/2.5 line - were excellent optically but marginal in terms of build quality and durability.  I have held off on the 50/2.5 as a result, but I can find no negative comments or reviews on the build quality of the updated f/2.4 Summarits.

Your images give all of us reason to take a hard look at the f/2.4 Summarit lenses - thank you!

I wouldn't say the 2.5 series is marginal in terms of quality. I found it very strong.

The 90 2.4 series seems to use a harder rubber and the construction feels marginally better but it could be an illusion caused by the purchase of a new lens :)

• Like 1

I love the Summarit line. Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference between it and the Summacrons besides the obvious extra light you get with a faster lens in general. But my time shooting with other Leica lenses is limited. I currently have a 50mm Summarit-M f/2.4, a 35mm Summarit-M f/2.4, and an older 90mm Tele-Elmarit-M f/2.8. 

I absolutely adore the results I get from the 50mm Summarit. Contrast is awesome and it really excels at street photography - especially when I'm looking to get black and white photos.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

given that ISO is no longer an existential issue, the Summarit line makes a lot of sense and saves a lot of cents.....

Albert .  :D  :lol:  :D

Actually at 90mm f2.4 is quite thin.

If you want the face in focus you need to use f4 at any distance, so it's not the limitation it appears to be

At f2.4 I find I need a static subject

• Like 1