Leica CL in Scotland - testing testing

Tobers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great pictures that really capture the ruggedness of Scotland in winter. I would love to know how the CL + 18-56 perform wide open, if that’s in the scope of your discovery.

Sure thing - I'll do some wide open shots tomorrow.

Thanks for the series, I really appreciated it.

If you have a smart phone with GPS, then check out gps4cam!  I use it all the time with my M9 and M240.

Guy

Thanks Guy. I'll have a look - sounds intriguing.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I very much enjoyed reading these.  And some of those images are pretty amazing!

About the 18-55, a very versatile lens, I just wish it had OIS like its larger 24-90 SL-brother, probably not so much an issue at all when shooting landscapes but for indoor photography it would make the lens so much more valuable.

• Like 1

'Lastly on the subject of weird niggles, the camera file numbering rolled over from 999 to 1000. The filename went from C1000999 to C1001000. But the next frame was C1010000, with an extra zero appearing by magic. This is very strange. I suspect this is a firmware bug which I shall report on the Leica Camera forum.'

....... well that one has been going for at least 3 years and despite telling them Leica have not fixed it on the T, TL2, Q, SL and now the CL. (it possibly appeared on the M240, but I cannot recall precisely ....)

I sent a long detailed email which was forwarded to the development team ....... and they still could not understand what I was going on about or why it drove me nuts ......

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for sharing the adventure and some useful observations.  The rollover peculiarity that starts a new folder (L1001000 --> L1010001) is shared with the SL.  The M10 doesn't do it and has a more sensible set of options for managing file names and directory structure.  If it is not a bug, there is some deep technical/religious reason known only to the firmware developers as it has been pointed out repeatedly.  I would have seen this by now, but we have had rain for the past two weekends and I am only up to about 900 exposures.

P.S. The three previous posts appeared while i was typing confirming our familiarity with this, or something like it.

P.P.S.  Just checked my M10 files, and they allow the file numbers to go up to 9999 without generating a new folder number.  On the SL, the numbering went from 999 to 001 in a new directory.  The fourth decimal pace is simply never used.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I still wonder what you think of the 18-56 wide open and whether it can reasonably capture semi-portrait shots,

I didn’t forget. I do have some (not portraits specifically) that I’ll dig out. I’ve just got home after an all-day 650 mile drive....

• 2 weeks later...