Leica CL in Scotland - testing testing

Tobers

Really nice images, Tobers!  Your shots make a strong case for the CL. 

I am in need of a back-up for my M-P 240 and was thinking in terms of a Fuji X Pro 2.  Maybe I need to take a harder look at the CL for that role...

Hi There

I had very much the same feeling - but I was fortunate enough to spend 3 weeks in Crete in September with both cameras side by side.

I was really surprised to find that I liked the CL much better in almost every respect, even the Af seemed snappier.

All the best

Jon

• Like 1

I'm up in Scotland for a week of indulgent landscape photography. This time last year I brought my brand spanking new M10 with me. This time I have my CL with me, along with the 18mm, 18-56mm and 55-135mm lenses. In reality I'm just using the two zooms.

So far, I am well impressed with the CL. No buttons have fallen off. It's got wet. It's light and very simple and easy to use. There are a few niggles though. I'm writing up my thoughts as I go along - part 1 is online now with a bunch of pictures.

20180120-C1000576-1024x683.jpg

Thank you for an interesting read. A question on white balance. Did you use AWB or grey card?

Hi There

I had very much the same feeling - but I was fortunate enough to spend 3 weeks in Crete in September with both cameras side by side.

I was really surprised to find that I liked the CL much better in almost every respect, even the Af seemed snappier.

All the best

Jon

Hi Jon,

I agree with you on this, I sold my pro2 and kept the XT2 for my long lenses (100-400mm plus 1.4X)

Now the CL is my M10 backup camera. 

The M10 and CL combo would have been perfect if the CL has IBIS and/or their lenses have IS. Well good enough for the moment. 

What kind of remote do you use (if any...)

I'm not using a remote - just a 2-second timer on the shutter release. I'd prefer the CL to have a threaded shutter button to take a cable release to get timing spot on (for waves breaking for example). I'll add that to part 4.

• Like 1

Part 3 is up now, with my views on direct versus "soft" controls and the lack of GPS. Also, had a super day out up here today, with way better battery performance than during yesterday's sub-freezing outing.

Thanks for the series, I really appreciated it.

If you have a smart phone with GPS, then check out gps4cam!  I use it all the time with my M9 and M240.

Guy

• Like 1