How to set my own number sequence

Alberti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have reset my MM number and it turned into the standard L100000 first number.

But how can I make that unique? I want the MM frames to be called MM witha serial number starting with e.g. 2 just to distinguish them from other L100n frames (I have several of those..)

I tried making a folder with the name MM but the picture number stays L100000n etc.

The manual does not help met out.

Hope someone has an answer to this newbie question  :(

albert

I have reset my MM number and it turned into the standard L100000 first number.

But how can I make that unique? I want the MM frames to be called MM witha serial number starting with e.g. 2 just to distinguish them from other L100n frames (I have several of those..)

I tried making a folder with the name MM but the picture number stays L100000n etc.

The manual does not help met out.

Hope someone has an answer to this newbie question  :(

albert

Menu/Setup/

Go to page 4

Image Numbering/Set/ Change filename

Edit: this is the M246 setting, no idea if this is identical in the MM1 menu

Edited by mich

Just to clarify, you have 4 digits you can use for your filename, so in your case you start with MM01. After 9999 actuations(MM01-9999) the camera software will switch to MM02-0001 and so on. You will always have a unique number.

You can of course start with any number. I don't know what will happen when you use all for digits for letters, how the software will react, haven't tried that.

Another option: If you want to switch numbering within a given theme(MM05), maybe you reached # MM05-0478 and you want to start a new series within the MM05 theme, you can rename an image to MM05-1000 and the camera will start the new count at MM05-1001

Just to clarify, you have 4 digits you can use for your filename, so in your case you start with MM01. After 9999 actuations(MM01-9999) the camera software will switch to MM02-0001 and so on. You will always have a unique number.

You can of course start with any number. I don't know what will happen when you use all for digits for letters, how the software will react, haven't tried that.

Just realized that I made a complete fool out of myself! I confused file numbers with folder numbers. After 9999 actuations the camera software doesn't rename the file prefix, it creates a new folder with the next number. The file count starts really at 0001 again. So the only option is a manual change of the prefix just before you reach the maximum count(or anytime earlier).

In your case with your prefix MM you can use the 2 additional digits for any combination of letters and numbers x10000.

I apologize for creating some confusion! Sometimes it is better to rethink a problem more carefully than to post prematurely!

Cheers

Edited by mich

Thanks for the effort; the instructions you gave comply with those from the M240.

When I bought my MM1, used, the sequence was somewhere at L135 and happily progressed to L139 before it got its sensor replaced - and the number sequence reset.

What sort of works is:

Change the folder name on the PC to 110LEICA and the last image to L1100008; the ne next image is L1100009.

Changing the prefix to M or MM does not work unfortunately

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So the MM1 has no option to change file/folder-names in camera. I wasn't sure which one you were referring to. Leica implemented this feature in the MM2, so they obviously considered it as being useful. I don't know whether there were any MM1 firmware updates after the MM2 hit the market but that would have definitely been a useful feature.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!