Perspective control lens

Brewster

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m curious, has Leica discontinued their own TS-APO-ELMAR-S?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they have not. Leica sent me one to evaluate and I just returned it. I found the lens very useful. As background, I came to the S from 4x5 view camera use. Of course no TS lens can compare with view camera movements. However, you gain flexibility and easier portability.

Jesse

So why aren’t they listing it on their website anymore?

No, they have not. Leica sent me one to evaluate and I just returned it. I found the lens very useful. As background, I came to the S from 4x5 view camera use. Of course no TS lens can compare with view camera movements. However, you gain flexibility and easier portability.

Jesse

Each to their own.

I found it greatly expands the systems capabilities and is really quite useful.

I have tried 2 HTS and they both have terrible optic degradation characteristic... particularly for the wider angle lens HCD24mm... hence I think they are no good.

I have tried 2 HTS and they both have terrible optic degradation characteristic... particularly for the wider angle lens HCD24mm... hence I think they are no good.

I don't think the 24mm is the best lens in the lineup. It is mostly intended for the cropped sensors too. Which back did you use it on?

For 50mmII, 80mm (i.e. what this conversation is about) and 35mm and 120 too it's really quite good, very useful and the degradation is minimal.

Edited by Paul J

Hello all. I got a second hand TS APO ELMAR-S 120 some weeks ago and have used it on a couple table-top product shoots and quite a bit for myself out in the woods. It’s a nice lens and a keeper for me but like the original poster I’d like a wider PC option. My favorite product still lens used to be the 45mm PC-E (I was shooting the Nikon F-mount system) and that magnification and the subject-camera distance it naturally encouraged worked well for me. Something like a 55~60TS for the S would be great.

I do feel it’s probably more realistic in the long run, for product stills anyway, to just use an LF camera with a digital back; the dream would be a Sinar system. My business isn’t big enough to justify it, unfortunately. But would be nice. I chip away at it.

Word to those unfamiliar on the native S-system perspective control lens:

1) it is a “dumb” non-electric mount lens, so no EXIF info, etc, and the main thing: manual stop-down => you’re going to have to open up (to focus) and remember to stop down (for your exposure) each shot. LF guys will be well used to that; those of us who lived with the creature comforts of “E” lenses will have to recalibrate the muscle memory. I’ll take that trade off for the degrees of movement freedom the Schneider design gives us. It’s also heaven not having to loosen and tighten holding screws each and every time in order to do movements.

2) the minimum focus distance is pretty long and you are not going to be able to put a lot of pixels on subject for smaller subjects, I use the APO MACRO SUMMARIT 120 for that, but that also means I had to buy two lenses. If you can insure you’ll usually have the right subject matter for it, I could see a user scraping by with just the 120 SUMMARIT and focus stacking—though, for me, that would be a really frustrating way to have to work. Often you have an AD or customer on your back while you shoot, so there is utility in having the lens that lets you get it in one shot and they can see right away...

Here’s hoping Leica give us another perspective control lens

Tom has made my point far more eloquently than I did and I appreciate his taking the time to do so. For those of us who shoot architecture and/ or landscape a 120 is not nearly so useful as would be something in the 30-45mm range.  As for the more mechanical nature of the 120, this would not pose a deterrent for me as I also shoot with a technical camera and rather enjoy the more "involved" experience. Also, for the types of subject a PC lens would be designed for the slower pace should not present a problem.

Sometimes I fear that Leica has abandoned us S users and I wonder if anyone at Leica is listening.

Tom has made my point far more eloquently than I did and I appreciate his taking the time to do so. For those of us who shoot architecture and/ or landscape a 120 is not nearly so useful as would be something in the 30-45mm range.  As for the more mechanical nature of the 120, this would not pose a deterrent for me as I also shoot with a technical camera and rather enjoy the more "involved" experience. Also, for the types of subject a PC lens would be designed for the slower pace should not present a problem.

Sometimes I fear that Leica has abandoned us S users and I wonder if anyone at Leica is listening.

I asked Leica Wetzlar about a 30mm Shift Lens 2 years ago. Their answer was: "No, we won't make such a lens, never. You have the Sinar system for that."

When last year my S006 was robbed, and I had the 30-90 and the 70 with no use because of lack of the body, I stopped thinking about this.

But 2 months ago my regular photo retailer made me an offer regarding the Fuji GFX, which included buying those 2 S lenses, that was so terrific that I could not refrain from buying it. With this body I can use the Pentax 645 35mm and the Pentax 67 45mm, via KIPON shift adapters.

It works.