Visoflex I adjustments..?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've used my Visoflex 1 on my '37 Leica II, fitted with bellows, to take macro shots but I've just put it on my IIIf along with a 200mm Telyt lens to check it over before I take it out for some alpine photography in a few weeks time.

The problem is that although I can swing the camera through 90 degrees for portrait and landscape views, the camera is not horizontal or vertical, but off by a few degrees. This means that I can't get horizontal at all (unless I unscrew the Visoflex slightly), and I can achieve vertical but only by moving the camera off one of the Visoflex end-stops (I hope that makes some sense?!).

Can I adjust the 'end stops' on the Visoflex so that I can ensure horizontal / vertical setting of the camera? If so, how?

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,

If you raise and lock the mirror you will see a couple of screw heads at the far end (when looking from the lens end)  If you slacken these the Viso body will move in relation to the body screw mounting: if that makes sence.  You can then align the base of the Viso with the base of the camera.  If you have access to the Hove reprint on using the accessories, it is detailed in there.  Unfortunately I don't have a scanner or I could post the page up for you.

Best wishes,

Susie

• Like 2

Hi Susie,

Thank you for the information. I have to, somewhat sheepishly, admit that I wondered whether it would be in one of my Leica books after I posted and found the details as you described in my 1950's book "The Leica Way".

Even so, thank you for taking the time and trouble to respond to my post.

Yours actually really rather sheepish,

David.

• Like 1

I took some photos of the process (Visoflex 1). This forum won't let me display the images from Google (or at least I don't know how to) but the links should take you to the images.

1) The camera was not horizontal with the Visoflex at it's 'end stop'...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z5Sf7PYEDViMiU252

2) Turn the camera to it's vertical position and lock the mirror up using the knurled piece under the mirror release...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ly4TILLY8803FQMk2

3) There are two screws that need to be loosened slightly to allow the camera to be adjusted in position...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AYtRKH6vYEC9LCpw1

4) The finished position. Once the correct position has been found, tighten up the screws and release the mirror.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C2ITcmBDvbWrb7oG3

Edited by vickersdc
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Some Visoflexes have two screws, some three and some 5 to loosen the rear mount. What is common to all in my experience, if they have not been undone for a long time, is how tight they are. Also like a lot of old Leica screws, they have a narrow slot. I think therefore, it is wise only to tackle loosening these screws if you have a set of quality jewellers' screwdrivers. Professional clock and watch makers tend to use Swiss ones made by  Albert Froidevaux & Fils (A+F), Bergeon or Horotec. A+F are the least expensive, Horotec the most, although none of them are cheap. I bought a set of A+F a little time ago from 0.4mm up to 3mm. Mine come in two plastic wallets but you can also get them in nice wooden boxes on on a revolving stand. I don't actually like the Horotec screwdrivers for photographic use, as they have very slender shanks, which can make getting stuck screws out, difficult (not enough leverage). 

Wilson