Guess I like the M10

algrove

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My only concern with the M10 is battery life. I have read that when fully charged, the battery will last 200-300 exposures; that seems awfully low.

Can any current M10 users comment on this?

There is a whole thread on battery life. In summary: The battery life depends not so much on the number of shoots but on the time it is on. If You set the camera on 2 min Auto off, one battery lasts a whole day of normal street or holiday shooting.

• Like 4

Is it my imagination or has the price in the US jumped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been $6895 since a $300 price increase a year ago in April. Many dealers, given wait lists, honored the $6595 initial price for many months after.

Jeff

I have had to change the battery once so far after using M10 with EVF and GPS on pretty much continuously over a 10 hour period. Did not count exposures, but since I always have a spare battery anyway it did not affect my pleasure of using it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Alabama Hills, CA not Boulder, CO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

My only concern with the M10 is battery life.  I have read that when fully charged,  the battery will last 200-300 exposures; that seems awfully low. 

Can any current M10 users comment on this?

Battery life is pretty terrible – if one is coming from an M240 type body.

I changed my setting to leave the M10 on for 5 minutes (instead of 2 minutes) and 300 shots is what I estimate, give or take, if LCD use is low to moderate. If I am using 35mm to 90mm lenses I do not look at the LCD very much. If I am using 28mm and wider I look fairly often as it is VERY easy to pick up a lot of sky that easily blows out the image.

With the camera set at 2 minutes ON before going to 'sleep' you will get more battery life - maybe as many as 400+ shots (low LCD use) but probably miss MANY spontaneous photos. Wake up time is not instantaneous and requires two presses of the shutter button if you want to get a quick capture: the first press is to awaken the camera and the next is to take the picture. I frequently forget this despite having had the same issue with my M240P. Some of us are slow learners! (Note: two presses of the shutter can also be a recipe for fuzzy pics if one is not careful.)

All the above assumes one shoots as I often do: travel and street work with lots of walking where a quick & good eye and serendipity are necessary. If one sits in one place and tries to capture the world going by, or works in a more methodical manner, battery life may well vary.

algrove

Agree. I use the Think Tank DSLR Battery Holder 2 to keep them from banging around in my carry bag.

I must add here that carrying extra batteries in something like the dedicated Think Tank battery sleeves is a REQUIREMENT for airline travel! (I have no relationship with Think Tank other than being a customer.)

Lithium batteries cannot be stored in checked baggage (and why would you; if the bags are lost or delayed you are sunk with no extras.) When carried into the jet cabin the batteries, by FAA law, MUST BE STORED WITH THE CONTACTS COVERED. I have seen people use tape but it's a mess in hot weather.

While transiting thru Shanghai 3 weeks ago my carry-on camera bag was extensively searched. This was the first time (ever) I've had to pull everything out. I had an M10, M246, 6 lenses, 5 batteries, backup hard drive, laptop, extra cell phone, 2 chargers, lots of wires, Rocket Blaster, sensor swabs, and extra SD cards in cases. Turns out I had dropped my keys with a travel penknife in the bag in India. But while doing the inspection the rather cheerful (until he found the penknife) Security guy asked if I had extra batteries. He was happy to see I had the extras securely stowed in cases and not store with the contacts exposed. (Alas, they confiscated the penknife after much discussion, extra personnel and admiration of its build.)

For the past year I have carried my beloved M240P as my backup color body but after extensive use of the M10 decided the new model was hardy enough to use solo (well, with the M246 in tow.) I loved the M240P and, of course, it shares its battery with the M246 Monochrom. Plus, as many have pointed out, it is nice to have one lens on one body and a different lens on the second body. This is especially true if one lives in the southwestern U.S. or travels in dusty & windy areas like I do. Leica M sensors attract dust specks like iron shavings to a magnet. But, the M240P was sold in late January while I could still get a decent price for it as people jump to the M10.

Finally, on the issue of an M10 Monochrom. I had thought to order one whenever it arrives in a couple years but now I am not so sure. The M246 is wonderful (just as those who bought the CCD Monochrom love theirs) and this issue with the longer-lasting battery in the 240 models is not insignificant to me. It may override the battery compatibility that the M10 and its Monochrom version will have. Looking thru my photo catalog I find I like my M240P photos every bit as much as my M10 pictures - often more. Maybe it is simply that I had three years with the 240 and post-production practice and have only had a year the the M10. Given that fact, I am sure I will like my M246 pics as much as I would like any ones from an M10 Mono!

Edited by coupdefoudre
  • Like 1

Hi all...  I am one week into my love affair with my M10, and could not be happier.  By the way, my Leica Q made me do it!  No buyer's remorse, though.  I picked up a 2nd battery today, to be on the safe side, and a grip and Thumbs-Up are going to be on order soon.  I really appreciate how this camera has taken me back to basics, even with its modern technology.  To quote Bogie, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship".

• Like 1

I really do not see why people are complaining about battery life. If you use the camera how it’s meant to be, as rangefinder, the battery will last at least one day, probably longer. Or at least 600 shutter actions (back screen with sleeping time of two minutes).

I really do not see why people are complaining about battery life. If you use the camera how it’s meant to be, as rangefinder, the battery will last at least one day, probably longer. Or at least 600 shutter actions (back screen with sleeping time of two minutes).

Owing to a different complaint, the unclear on/off, I ended up leaving mine on for hours with LV disabled. Was pretty shocked to see that it had barely drained.

I need a pair of pliers to pull the iso wheel up. I gave up on it and now use the menu.

I just try to leave my ISO wheel up at all times. It's even harder to lift using a half-case for me.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree the iso wheel is stiff to lift. I tend to leave it in the up position for convenience. I would like to see lock to hold it up because putting the cam back in the bag can knock the iso down without me knowing. Not a big issue. Basically I like it.

M10= grand slam home run in my opinion.   For those not in USA,  it is a baseball hit over the fence with 3 people on base.  Does not happen often.   

I kind of like the rear screen view for when you want perfect composition and focus.   Reminds me of my 4x5 camera.  I suppose one could buy the visoflex for same function also.