Guess I like the M10

algrove

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, got my second one and this time rebuying some Leica R long lenses (longer than 135mm).

Tried the Sony a7R3 with 7 lenses (Zeiss and Sony longs) and sent it all back not only due to Mac FW update mess-ups, but also just missed having a right eye configuration which is my preferred setup for working in the zone. Ergonomics did not suit me I guess. Every lens except the 35/2.8 felt like an M with Noctilux sized lens on that small body

Will keep my MM1 until such time as a new MM comes out-maybe in 2019 or could it come at Photokina?

Edited by algrove

My one slight grumble concerns the ISO button: it's fiddly to use and a menu item would have been much simpler.

No-one forces you to use the ISO dial. You can always set it to M (which stands for 'Menu') and then keep using the ISO menu.

• Like 7

My one slight grumble concerns the ISO button: it's fiddly to use and a menu item would have been much simpler. (Yes, I know it was widely felt to be a style-echo of the film Ms.)

Use it, break it and the Leica change it for you. Turnover time is a week pretty much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Try to have that button in the UP position when shooting. Then the access to ISO is a delight. That is how I consider that. Without accessing any menu you just see all your settings. There is another thing that I have some problems with: When adjusting the exposure in automatic mode then I can NOT see this setting immediately. I would propose that the wheel at the back of the M10 would show the indications from -3 up to +3 engraved at the side surface of that wheel.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I had an M8 and then M9 I stuck with only one body, unlike in the film days when I always carried 2 identical bodies.   I used various kludges as backups, never really happy, but didn't want to buy a second mega-depreciating camera.  After I got my demo M240 I used a Sony Nex 6 as backup, but for me an EVF is nothing like a real viewfinder, and truly dislike them.  When I found a certified pre-owned M240 in mint shape I snapped it up.   Cost of two bodies was around 1.5x the price of one new one, and I am much happier.  I totally get why you would be happier with 2 M10's.

• Like 3

bocaburger

Yes having two identical cameras makes it easy.  I mount a lens on each that I think I will want for the shoot or day and take at least one additional lens along, sometimes 2 additional lenses. Normally I can zoom with my feet. Familiarity makes it all seamless when switching between cameras.

My one slight grumble concerns the ISO button: it's fiddly to use and a menu item would have been much simpler. (Yes, I know it was widely felt to be a style-echo of the film Ms.)

I don't have any problem with the iso button and think a menu option would be far more fiddly

• Like 6

The ISO wheel was one of the main reasons why I purchased the M10, and I have no problems using it, even with my winter gloves on. Actually I can now operate the entire camera without ever taking off my gloves. That is wonderful!

• Like 6

I personally really liked the ISO button + thumbwheel option on the M240, and found it a lot easier, as both controls fell where my grip was, and it was trivial to change things, moreso than on the M10. The issue where some folks have had the ISO wheel decouple from its control, leaving them stuck on a single ISO with no way to change it, only makes me less enamoured of it.

But the M10 is still far and away the best digital M.

Edited by hteasley
  • Like 2

Had some stupid (me) issues today where the Auto Lens Selection showed the 2.8/21mm lens when the new Thambar f2.2 was mounted and could not get it corrected by remounting lens and/or turning M10 on and off. Just received this camera last week (manufactured 15 Dec 2017) so assumed it had FW in it that recognizes that lens. I must be wrong.

All is OK now with FW.

Nothing wrong with using a Noctilux on an M-I have owned 3 of the 4 versions Leica has released. This was taken with 1.0 and MM1.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by algrove
  • Like 10

• 2 months later...

Shooting near Ansel Adams favorite area in the Eastern Sierras. Decided to convert this M10 image to B&W. APO 50 used here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by algrove
  • Like 9

Having gone round and round on this, I've come back to finding that the M10 is the best of all cameras that I've used recently for 85% of the work I do.  A flirtation with the CL was an expensive debacle. A second fling with the SL just didn't work out.  I'm now back with matched M10s + a range of Leica glass from 16-35 WATE through to 135 Apo-Telyt, though I have to say that the 28 / 35 / 50 / 75 focal lengths remain the most used.  However, with fast RF focusing most of the time and the option of the Visoflex for occasional need the M10 is a constant companion and working tool. Combined with a 5D mkIII and fast zooms for occasional use, the only other step I could imagine making would be medium format (probably Fuji), but this isn't something I'm considering for the moment.

• Like 5

I never take that many pics in a day, and recharge daily, so it’s hard to say. Plus I don’t chimp much, use only RF, and set the camera to go off after a couple minutes. But I always pack an extra battery just in case, especially in cold weather. No big deal considering the extra film canisters I used to pack.

Jeff

• Like 5