Tri Elmar MATE. Going price? Still a relevant lens?

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a series II (49mm) version into Leica Germany in 2016 for a complete overhaul and coding. Cost about $530 and they did a great job on it. Took 5 or 6 months, though.

The loose aperture ring is a common issue. Usually just solved by tightening the front section, which used (from memory) a 0.7mm hex key. When they overhauled mine it came back with one or more of those screws with some kind of resin on them to prevent them coming loose.

Michael

Edited by mdemeyer

• 1 year later...

Leica Germany repaired my MATE E49 when the front lens ring ahead of the aperture ring went a bit floppy 4 years ago and they did a lovely job. Thankfully I've never experienced the binding focal length issue. I have had the lens since about 2008 or so and am only the second owner after Leica UK. The lens was like new when it came back from repair and the work was done at a reasonable cost for such a complex lens — and quoted upfront. I still use this lens a lot because of the advantage of having 3 essential focal lengths instantly available. I've never even seen the dedicated lens hood offered for sale although I would probably buy one if I did, but by chance I picked up a nice used 49mm SMC Pentax 1:2 2.8-3.5 28mm/1.2-2.8 35mm hood and that works very well on it (it clamps to a glassless 49mm filter ring). My advice about flare with these lenses is to avoid putting a UV or indeed any other filter on the lens except if needed as protection - my guess being that such a filter can induce reflections from the white printing on the front lens barrel that then get imaged as a sort of misty flare. Flare is, however, mainly or even only an issue in outdoor shots, and it's very difficult to determine why it happens in some cases. I hardly noticed it on my M6 films, but on the M10 it seems to be more of an issue - but is that because one can see it immediately on the screen - or is something else going on such as an interaction between reflections on the filter or front lens element that are then enhanced by the sensor for some reason?

I know this lens divides the Leica brethren but for me it is a really practical way of carrying 3 of the most used focal lengths in one package. And with digital capture, max. aperture of f4 is not the handicap it was with film. I very often use this as my sole lens on an M10.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 8:43 PM, tri said:

It is the 28-35-50 Version II with the 49mm filter diameter, Alex.

Kind regards,

Simon

Leica also produced a special slim line 49mm uv filter for this lens.

vor 28 Minuten schrieb BrianP:

Leica also produced a special slim line 49mm uv filter for this lens.

The good old Olympus slim version also fits well. In my M8.2 days I took that IR glass out of a Leica filter, which had a regular broad frame and put it into the slim 49mm Oly frame to use it with the „tri“ and the lens hood.

The 8.2 I keep for IR photos with Summarons 28 and 35 and  Elmar 50,

the UV filter (coated) glass is back in its Oly slim frame and with the tri and it’s lens hood now on my M240.

If only I knew back then what you write now :) 

(Do you have the Leica order number for this slim line UV filter 49mm with multi coating by any chance, in case you kept the little carton box it came in?)

Edited by tri